Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Original 1861 Springfield rifle

Options
  • 07-04-2013 3:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭

I have been offered for sale, an original 1861 dated springfield US rifle. Condition is fare, some pitting but still in OK condition (no rust). All or most of the stamps are on it etc.

My question is, whats the price range on these? 1st year of the US civil war and I'm told they are rare. Also its cap and ball, so do you need to get it licensed here?

I will try get some pics up later. Asking price is €450 is that good/bad:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

You don't need a licence but you do need a letter form your local super to say it is ok to have it in your possession and if it is coming from another country it will need an import licence. If you don't want it i do.:D:D:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭chem

Thanks Juice! What do you think of the price? done some looking on the net and found this! http://www.horsesoldier.com/products/firearms/longarms/9010

Is this to good to be true??

Do I really need permission? Its an antique!!

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭EWQuinn

That could be a decent price, but not sure of the market for these in Europe. Can you post any pics? Has it been refinished? Condition of the bore. Function of the lock ok? 1861 dated, first year of war would be a little more value than others. Assume its a Springfield and not a contract musket right?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭extremetaz

That sounds awesome - count me 3rd in line after Juice. :P

Hi had a good look at the rifle. Alot of the fine detail is pitted away. Springfield made not contract. This rifle has the look of one hung up after the war and never touched again!!!

Dust in the barrell, groves in the barrel just about visable. All original (no new screws etc) nipple was never even replaced!! Not flattened either.

Took out the ram rod, put it down the barrell, took it out and held it along the barrell...........I think its still loaded:eek::o

Wood it well dinged and has dried out over the years, but notting too bad.

Its amazing to see how clean it once was. When you move the barrell rings its as new!

Will figure out how to put up pics soon!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

chem wrote: »
    r

Took out the ram rod, put it down the barrell, took it out and held it along the barrell...........I think its still loaded:eek::o

Has been known to happen. WD40 or 3 in 1 oil is or any pressurised spray oil your friend in this case.;)
    You need to force some oil into the nipple,as much as possible is best.It will wet and inert the powder charge.:cool:

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Hope you have a long corkscrew :)

http://www.cva.com/CVA-Product-View.php?id=171

A ball puller of the correct type should do it after you loosen the load with an appropriate solvent.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭sfakiaman

chem wrote: »

I once read of an old civil war musket recovered from a major battle site that had (I think) nine loads in it. The poor sod must have been terrified and just kept loading but not priming!

IMG00110-20130409-1815_zpsb08dde67.jpg.html?&_suid=1365529195880023390055730891446

• Advertisement

Some pics of the rifle! Sorry I'm not great with a camera! But you will get an idea of the condition she is in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

Wow that is lovely if you ever want to part with it give me a shout.:cool::)

I would be greatful if anyone could tell me more on this rifle :-) Or point me to links!

http://www.militaryfactory.com/smallarms/detail.asp?smallarms_id=153

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Springfield_Model_1861

A couple of decent links to start. Mass production by the Union was a key to victory and this rifle and the Springfield Armory was part of that, setting the stage for the Armory's role supplemented by American production capability in future conflicts.

Advertisement