Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Top Skills a Wannabe Digital Marketer should be Learning

Options
  • 07-04-2013 3:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi all,
    I'm currently working on making a career change into Digital Marketing and will be starting the MSc Management (Digital Marketing) in DCU in September.
    I'd love to use these few months until then to work on learning a key skill for the career.
    What you you say are THE most important skills or computer programmes a digital marketer needs?
    Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

Analytical ability.

If you are analytically able, and curious, you will learn how things work and why they work. Develop that ability and you will pick up everything you need to know about Digital Marketing.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 3sixty

Get yourself an internship for the summer.

You will soon learn practicals of online marketing and the different elements in driving traffic, building campaigns etc.

Too many people are doing these digital marketing courses for 12 weeks and then billing themselves as experts.The world and his mother are doing these courses. Its ridiculous at this stage. You cant learn and master a subject in one or two lectures. Sorry rant over.

I hope the dcu course is longer than 12 weeks:Dbest of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 MichaelaPS

Thanks for the replies - interesting discussion! I'm working full time up until September so an internship is out. Was thinking along the lines of an evening course in some computer skill. Are there any computer programmes you find invaluable?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

MichaelaPS wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies - interesting discussion! I'm working full time up until September so an internship is out. Was thinking along the lines of an evening course in some computer skill. Are there any computer programmes you find invaluable?
    I'm not exactly a digital marketer so the digital marketers here may disagree with some of this. Learn Excel well. You may well end up using it for tracking events, keywords, businesses and campaigns. If you are working in a Microsoft Windows environment, learn Access and how to link Access databases and Excel spreadsheets. What Rollo Tamasi said above about analytical thinking is perhaps the most important post in the thread.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭davecomedy

Hi,

Would you consider going to the NCI? I just completed a 1 year course there and it was excellent. I had some previous online experience, but the lecturers there helped getting me up to the next level and taught us a varied and useful range of modules from UX to Pr, blog management, Online Strategies the works

Hope either way what you do goes well

D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Tweet relentlessly, about anything at all.

Seems to qualify a lot of the 'experts' I encounter. :pac:

I'd imagine Google analytics would be one important 'tool of the trade'.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Draper666

You really have to learn by doing. You will pick up your own tricks by really trying stuff for yourself. If you have the time set up a site/blog and try to reach a certain goal

Advertisement