Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tonight With Vincent Browne Thread v3.0 (07/04/13 - 08/07/14)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,298 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Matthews is just a sexist.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,805 ✭✭✭take everything

Matthews is being very disingenuous.
    Just completely clouded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Chortle, what about the right to life of the three people ?

He can be so condescending to Sinead Kennedy.

Ehh Savita??

• Registered Users Posts: 49,731 ✭✭✭✭coolhull

Matthews was really patronising to the 2 women there

• Advertisement

Ehh Savita??

How did he question if such cases ever arise?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭darkhorse

jobeenfitz wrote: »
    I'm a man. I don't think I have the right to have a say in whether all the women in Ireland can or cannot have an abortion. The more I listen to the debates on this issue the more confused I become.

Agree with you. My stance is, I am pro-women.

Matthews has lost all credibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Matthews pig ignorant when the girls tried to get in he turns to spout some sh1te to VB to avoid listening to what they had to say.

Sickeningly obtuse attitude of Matthews.

• Advertisement

Matthews hasn't a clue about women. This won't be forgotten.

jiFfM.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

the usual ad hominem hysteria, he is a sexist misogynist bla bla bla - does what I believe to be the morally correct side of the debate no favours at all

I disagree with matthews view but he is entitled to it

Matthews hasn't a clue about women. This won't be forgotten.

I don't think the medical staff will forget his remark that he believes Savitas death was due to a medical misjudgement and an abortion was irrelevant.

donfers wrote: »
    the usual ad hominem hysteria, he is a sexist misogynist bla bla bla - does what I believe to be the morally correct side of the debate no favours at all

I disagree with matthews view but he is entitled to it

But surely everything he said tonight, his tone, his body language, his view that men should have a say etc etc was fundamentally sexist towards women.

Men went down the coal mines and some died, so women should take the risk with pregnancy, is what he said. It has to be sexist yeah?

"We're all going to die at one point" was another thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

ThisRegard wrote: »
    I don't think the medical staff will forget his remark that he believes Savitas death was due to a medical misjudgement and an abortion was irrelevant.
    He was very stupid to say that, it could predudice a future court case....remember Mary Harney and the C J Haughey case.

In fairness that's just Reilly's new plan for the HSE.
    Probably just towing the party line there.

But surely everything he said tonight, his tone, his body language, his view that men should have a say etc etc was fundamentally sexist towards women.

Men went down the coal mines and some died, so women should take the risk with pregnancy, is what he said. It has to be sexist yeah?

well perhaps one could take that view but I would say that it is dangerous to extrapolate from such a divisive and morally complex issue as abortion and make wider socio-political generalisations based on that

I understand your point but as I said I'd be careful to rush to judgement with the more subjective labelling

• Registered Users Posts: 10,742 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Roger_007 wrote: »
    He was very stupid to say that, it could predudice a future court case....remember Mary Harney and the C J Haughey case.
    Remember C J Haughey and Malcolm McArthur.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,222 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

I hope more Fine Gael TDs are prepared to vote against this legislation. I say after the Ferris and Riordan story not to many Labour ones will.

• Advertisement

well perhaps one could take that view but I would say that it is dangerous to extrapolate from such a divisive and morally complex issue as abortion and make wider socio-political generalisations based on that

I understand your point but as I said I'd be careful to rush to judgement with the more subjective labelling

Ah I suppose he's not sexist - he respects his mother he said at one point.

Clearly sexist. I think he's lost a lot of female voters in Dublin South after tonight.

Ah I suppose he's not sexist - he respects his mother he said at one point.

Clearly sexist. I think he's lost a lot of female voters in Dublin South after tonight.

i don't think this kind of argument stands up to be honest, life is not black and white

an example, i thoroughly disagree with matthews on this issue and think that Irish women have been let down appalingly by how some of medical staff interpret abortion legislation, it really is shameful and a huge tragedy what occurred and every woman on this island deserves to have the final say on what goes on in her body and that right should be unequivocally and quickly legislated for...

now were one to judge me on my views on that issue, they might think, heh that dude is ok, relatively open-minded, liberal, progressive etc.

but as you may well testify to, that is not necessarily the case, I can be as close-minded, extremist, dogmatic, myopic and contrarian as the politically fashionable consensus of the day cares to judge me so on other issues

my point being: screaming absolutist accusations at people is rarely either conducive to constructive debate or indeed an accurate interpretation of reality

we are all bits and pieces of everything, yes even you, a bit sexist, bit liberal, a bit conservative, a bit right, a bit left etc. - of course many of us will tend to fall more into one bracket than another but the key here is to accept the fact that nobody is an absolute and all of us display contradictory and hypocritical values depending on the individual isse because that is the nature of language and that is the nature of living

what does sexist mean? It means different things to different people, we may get the dictionaries out but we can all interpret our individual experiences subjectively so that we ignore some stuff and focus on other stuff so that whatever neat label we have for ourselves and others can be justified

the otherness of existence means none of us really have the credibility to paint one another in absolutist terms

therein ends this essentially pointless piece of waffle

i don't think this kind of argument stands up to be honest, life is not black and white

an example, i thoroughly disagree with matthews on this issue and think that Irish women have been let down appalingly by how some of medical staff interpret abortion legislation, it really is shameful and a huge tragedy what occurred and every woman on this island deserves to have the final say on what goes on in her body and that right should be unequivocally and quickly legislated for...

now were one to judge me on my views on that issue, they might think, heh that dude is ok, relatively open-minded, liberal, progressive etc.

but as you may well testify to, that is not necessarily the case, I can be as close-minded, extremist, dogmatic, myopic and contrarian as the politically fashionable consensus of the day cares to judge me so on other issues

my point being: screaming absolutist accusations at people is rarely either conducive to constructive debate or indeed an accurate interpretation of reality

we are all bits and pieces of everything, yes even you, a bit sexist, bit liberal, a bit conservative, a bit right, a bit left etc. - of course many of us will tend to fall more into one bracket than another but the key here is to accept the fact that nobody is an absolute and all of us display contradictory and hypocritical values depending on the individual isse because that is the nature of language and that is the nature of living

what does sexist mean? It means different things to different people, we may get the dictionaries out but we can all interpret our individual experiences subjectively so that we ignore some stuff and focus on other stuff so that whatever neat label we have for ourselves and others can be justified

the otherness of existence means none of us really have the credibility to paint one another in absolutist terms

therein ends this essentially pointless piece of waffle

He seemed very sexist to me. Did you not watch the programme?

You don't agree with me, I don't care.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

ThisRegard wrote: »
    I knew FG were (or have large elements of) a conservative party but I'm surprised as to the extent they are on this topic. I wonder how much is pandering to their traditional core support.

That's the problem with Irish politics, no-one gives an opinion until they absolutely have to (because a firm view on anything will lose you 4 third preferences for every 1st preference you win)
    jobeenfitz wrote: »
    I'm a man. I don't think I have the right to have a say in whether all the women in Ireland can or cannot have an abortion. The more I listen to the debates on this issue the more confused I become.

I dunno about that, but surely the main object of discussion around abortion is whether a foetus is a full human being or not, but neither side seems at all interested in discussing that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

764436421.jpg

Mary Lou vs Caroline.
    Should be an interesting show tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,305 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Whole thing is a joke, needs to be a referendum "Do you want abortion available on demand, Yes/No.", this getting 3 doctors in the country to agree is a mess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭mikehammer67

Whole thing is a joke, needs to be a referendum "Do you want abortion available on demand, Yes/No.", this getting 3 doctors in the country to agree is a mess.

dunno really
    people are stupid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Listened to Marc Coleman talking over everybody on the way home in the car, now this nonsense..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭ron jambo

The Mary Lou show.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement