Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tonight With Vincent Browne Thread v3.0 (07/04/13 - 08/07/14)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Be more in their line to track all those thousands of Nigerian princes who want to help us all by putting a couple of million in our bank accounts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

When these clean cut Shinners (the few of them that there are) start taking the moral high ground it really makes me sick..

• Registered Users Posts: 19,749 ✭✭✭✭grey_so_what

MrsD007 wrote: »
    Grey, Welcome back, I've missed you :)

Tell me, what do you think of Gemma? I think she looks very well for 75.

She looks stunning MrsD.....She would put young ones to shame!....

I would put Mammy out to pasture happily, There is no room for her in politics imo.......:(

Worst "Auntie at wedding" scenario ever......:(

Even the papers are boring without Vinnie......:(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Thats nothing.

The last Taoiseach went on the radio still half cut after a night on the píss in Galway while the whole country was going down the drain.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,308 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Lapin wrote: »
    Thats nothing.

The last Taoiseach went on the radio still half cut after a night on the píss in Galway while the whole country was going down the drain.

No no, he was hoarse.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

How many people killed themselves cos they were sick of their Eircom broadband going down..

It must be my telly, are Eoin's eyes changing from to green to a different colour?..

• Registered Users Posts: 51,760 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

How many people killed themselves cos they were sick of their Eircom broadband going down..

or looking at the same auld wans on political shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

The HSE need to provide cover at night and at weekends, people are more likely to need help late at night or at the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

I think the last thing we need is a 'suicide strategy'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,760 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

It must be my telly, are Eoin's eyes changing from to green to a different colour?..

It's the tint in his lenses.

461 drinks means that every TD had 2.8 drinks on the night of the debate.

The HSE need to provide cover at night and at weekend, people are more likely to need help late at night or at the weekend.

Wasn't' that the case MrsD in that family tragedy in Wexford a few years ago?..

You couldn't be more right...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

How many people killed themselves cos they were sick of their Eircom broadband going down to hell after being encouraged to invest everything in them by that trollop on the telly sitting next to Ivan....

FYP

The HSE need to provide cover at night and at weekends, people are more likely to need help late at night or at the weekend.

Doesn't the HSE have a 24/7 phone line?

Wasn't' that the case MrsD in that family tragedy in Wexford a few years ago?..

You couldn't be more right...
    Yeah, that's right, the mother in that case looked for help from the HSE but she was told there was no social worker working over the weekend.

What good is that if you need proper psychiatric help or assistance from a social worker?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Busted Flat.

dl/
    When these clean cut Shinners (the few of them that there are) start taking the moral high ground it really makes me sick..

The OSFIRA/OSFWP/WP/DL/LP took the high moral ground, what is the problem.

What good is that if you need proper psychiatric help or assistance from a social worker?

I agree of course, but having on call social workers isn't the reason for high suicide rates.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Busted Flat.

Of course, but there is no one to answer the fone.

• Advertisement

I agree of course, but having on call social workers isn't the reason for high suicide rates.
    The lack of social workers is a big problem. For example: if you have a parent who is finding it difficult to cope, a good social worker can help to support the family, particularly the children.

The difference between a physical presence in a face to face senario would have no comparison to talking to a helpline in a "hard to cope with" situation. I think the difference would be immense.

The lack of social workers is a big problem. For example: if you have a parent who is finding it difficult to cope, a good social worker can help to support the family, particularly the children.

True, but it seems the lack of employment and opportunities for young men in particular, is a more pressing issue that needs to be addressed.

True, but it seems the lack of employment and opportunities for young men in particular, is a more pressing issue that needs to be addressed.
    The most recent stats show that suicide is decreasing in men and increasing in women.

I always think it is difficult to get reliable stats as so many cases of suicide go unreported for various reasons. In some cases a coroner will recommend a verdict of 'Death by Misadventure' where there is a surviving spouse with a young family. Some mortgage policies have suicide exclusions so a suicide verdict would place the family in financial distress in addition to the emotional distress of losing their loved one.

The most recent stats show that suicide is decreasing in men and increasing in women.

I always think it is difficult to get reliable stats and so much suicide goes unreported for various reasons. In some cases a coroner will recommend a verdict of 'Death by Misadventure' where there is a surviving spouse with a young family. Some mortgage policies have suicide exclusions so a suicide verdict would place the family in financial distress in addition to the emotional distress of losing their loved one.

According to the report 83% were men.

I did hear that you can multiply the official rate by 5 to get the real rate. Some single car crashes are often suicidal for example.

I always think it is difficult to get reliable stats as so many cases of suicide go unreported for various reasons. In some cases a coroner will recommend a verdict of 'Death by Misadventure' where there is a surviving spouse with a young family. Some mortgage policies have suicide exclusions so a suicide verdict would place the family in financial distress in addition to the emotional distress of losing their loved one.

I never heard that MrsD......How cynical and callous that is. I shouldn't be surprised though, there never seems to ramifications for institutions like banks, insurance companies, etc.

We are a nation of sheep at times to accept this cynical practice. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

461 drinks means that every TD had 2.8 drinks on the night of the debate.

By the looks of it, there were some that'd "collected" quite a few of the "spare" 0.8s.

According to the report 83% were men.

I did hear that you can multiply the official rate by 5 to get the real rate. Some single car crashes are often suicidal for example.
    This is true, but the report says that there was a decrease of male cases and an increase in female cases. There is no doubt about it men are definitely at a higher risk :(

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭chinwag

vicwatson wrote: »
    How many pensions do these two wans have between them I wonder?

And don't forget to include the host :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

I never heard that MrsD......How cynical and callous that is. I shouldn't be surprised though, there never seems to ramifications for institutions like banks, insurance companies, etc.

We are a nation of sheep at times to accept this cynical practice. :(
    No GSW, the Coroner is protecting the surviving spouse in these cases. If a death by suicide was recorded a loss of life claim could be declined. However, if the death is recorded as 'death by misadventure' the policy is usually paid out.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement