Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tonight With Vincent Browne Thread v3.0 (07/04/13 - 08/07/14)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

There's about as much chance of FF and FG forming a coalition as there is of The Tories and Labour forming a coalition in the UK.
    Look at the times there's been a Grand Coalition in Germany -- much Italy, say. Main reason it doesn't happen in the UK is the false majorities that first-past-the-post contrives, making the possibility largely moot.

FF+FG makes perfect sense in policy terms. (Or lack of policy terms, indeed.) The difficulty with the idea is obviously a) Civil War hangover tribalism, that requires pretending (and perhaps even, actually believing) that the difference is a material one, and b) that if it even happened, it'd quickly revealing just how redundant the two were.

It's a bit like nuclear fusion. Almost certainly it'd never happen, or fly apart immediately; but if it did, they'd collapse together permanently.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

When we've been talking about suicide, I always feel the need to post helpline numbers. I hope no one minds.

Samaritans 1850-609090
    Console 1800-201890
    Aware 1890-303302
    Pieta House 01-6010000

• Registered Users Posts: 19,749 ✭✭✭✭grey_so_what

MrsD007 wrote: »
    No GSW, the Coroner is protecting the surviving spouse in these cases. If a death by suicide was recorded a loss of life claim could be declined. However, if the death is recorded as 'death by misadventure' the policy is usually paid out.

That is some comfort for the families I suppose MrsD.....It's such a terrible time for all involved. It's a shocking indictment of this country that the Mental Health Services are so badly managed. Suicide is not new to this country, It's only now as media is concentrating on it we hear numbers are rising. It's my opinion the numbers were as big over the past decades as they are now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

alaimacerc wrote: »
    Look at the times there's been a Grand Coalition in Germany -- much Italy, say. Main reason it doesn't happen in the UK is the false majorities that first-past-the-post contrives, making the possibility largely moot.

FF+FG makes perfect sense in policy terms. (Or lack of policy terms, indeed.) The difficulty with the idea is obviously a) Civil War hangover tribalism, that requires pretending (and perhaps even, actually believing) that the difference is a material one, and b) that if it even happened, it'd quickly revealing just how redundant the two were.

It's a bit like nuclear fusion. Almost certainly it'd never happen, or fly apart immediately; but if it did, they'd collapse together permanently.

What possible logic could there be for FG to allign itself with the party that destroyed the country, squandered our resources and made us a vassal state of the IMF? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Busted Flat.

That is some comfort for the families I suppose MrsD.....It's such a terrible time for all involved. It's a shocking indictment of this country that the Mental Health Services are so badly managed. Suicide is not new to this country, It's only now as media is concentrating on it we hear numbers are rising. It's my opinion the numbers were as big over the past decades as they are now.

It is more important for the HSE to protect it's senior staff and keep them in useless employment, than to support front line staff. This is what the 100 year celebration is all about. The elite in the public service.

• Advertisement

It is more important for the HSE to protect it's senior staff and keep them in useless employment, than to support front line staff. This is what the 100 year celebration is all about. The elite in the public service.

I don't know anything about a 100 years celebration BF but it seems to me to be wholly inappropriate to celebrate any institution that is failing its mandate so appallingly...........:(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

Callan57 wrote: »
    What possible logic could there be for FG to allign itself with the party that destroyed the country, squandered our resources and made us a vassal state of the IMF? :confused:

What possible logic is there for any party so to do? Bums on ministerial seats, basically. But as to the actual likelihood, well, see my previous post.

It's a somewhat inevitable topic, though. FF are the biggest opposition party, so talk about their prospects of getting into government is inevitable. So, "who with?" is the logical corollary -- it's hardly going to be back to the "good old days" of FF plus a ragtag bunch of backwoodsmen. Ditto FF+"new" (yet another) conservative party. FF/Lab is an entirely moot proposition, this cycle. There are some many "FF+SF coalition" discussions one can have (though we're not done with those yet, either).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Busted Flat.

I don't know anything about a 100 years celebration BF but it seems to me to be wholly inappropriate to celebrate any institution that is failing its mandate so appallingly...........:(

Sorry, the elite is celebrating the 1913 lockout. Neck like a jockeys bollicks.

• Registered Users Posts: 49,731 ✭✭✭✭coolhull

Not certain, but I think Vincie is back tonight?

coolhull wrote: »
    Not certain, but I think Vincie is back tonight?
    Yes, Vincenzo is back tonight :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,308 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

In before anyone says it, Niamh looks well tonight.

Oh that's a nice holiday for Pascal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Christ have ye seen Niamh Lyons.. I'll just throw that in there before the camera pans to her..

I missed the start, where is Pascal Donohue off to.. Have Spurs signed him to replace Gareth Bale..

Mary Lou is looking well this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,760 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

If I was stranded on a desert island with Niamh i'd burn any lifeboat that floated in.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

ask them all what they earn vinnie ffs man

• Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

I thought so too, she looks different?

If I was stranded on a desert island with Niamh i'd burn any lifeboat that floated in.
    So you kinda like her then ;):D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Medium rare to well I would have said..

She is tanned and well rested, it must be great to be a TD or a teacher.

• Advertisement

too much cleavage from mary lou tonight lads?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Looks like she's been enjoying the sun during their long summer holidays.

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭technocrat

Looking orangetastic as usual

Niamh looks like she is in mourning.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭CorsendonkX

I need to go to SpecSavers if that's looking well, she looks like she aged 10 years since I last seen her, I had do a double take to work out who she was. Ivan makeup girl must be on hols tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

She is tanned and well rested, it must be great to be a TD or a teacher.

Even better to be both!

Did Pascal swallow a politicians what to say manual.

Pascal has got cocky since he became a junior minister.

Good Evening All,

Great to see Vincent back......Why do some politicians look like they are only short of a Confirmation Rosette on their lapel?....

• Advertisement

jaysus, every comment in here tonight about how the ladies on the panel are looking, you bunch of gossipy old wagons, shame on you, let's redeem ourselves and dig into the significance of the CSO figures

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement