Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tonight With Vincent Browne Thread v3.0 (07/04/13 - 08/07/14)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,309 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

The whole thing was made worse by Brian Lenihan's complete lack of expertise and his inexperience. He hadn't a clue.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,007 ✭✭✭Hitchens

The whole thing was made worse by Brian Lenihan's complete lack of expertise and inexperience. He hadn't a clue.

in fairness, he wasn't a well man at the time

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

That b@stard in Athlone is one seriously sick fcuker :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 49,731 ✭✭✭✭coolhull

That bast*rd!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,747 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

More than 70 convictions and then released back into society.

This is not justice, and now we see the consequences of such 'justice'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Louise Bayliss looks and sounds a bit like Mary Kenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,749 ✭✭✭✭grey_so_what

MrsD007 wrote: »
    That b@stard in Athlone is one seriously sick fcuker :mad:

This is horrific.........:( ........:(

The less state, the less waste.

Hitchens wrote: »
    in fairness, he wasn't a well man at the time

In September 2008? There was nothing wrong with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 49,731 ✭✭✭✭coolhull

He'll get ten years, be back on the streets in four

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,805 ✭✭✭take everything

:D:D
    Only Vinny would read a text about him dying his hair.

coolhull wrote: »
    He'll get ten years, be back on the streets in four

Please don't depress me coolhull.........:(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

to be fair to the ex imf goon, he strikes me as an extremely hard guy to wind up

Vote on Friday to add another court, when what we need is proper sentencing to fit the crime.

Serial offenders of whatever kind should just be locked up to save the rest of society the stress they cause.

RobertKK wrote: »
    Vote on Friday to add another court, when what we need is proper sentencing to fit the crime.

Serial offenders of whatever kind should just be locked up to save the rest of society the stress they cause.

Voting Yes on Friday won't make much difference to the Athlone case.

No, It won't HA......It is not a priority on the Government's Agenda.....

It as in protecting our young, infirm and vulnerable...........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

I think it's very naive to think that Irish society is progressive and civilised because we protect the right of those found guilty of the most heinous crimes, particularly such crimes against children..Is it a civilised society that put Larry Murphy back on the street? Why is he allowed out, because he is no longer a danger to society? No, but "because he has served his debt to society" in the eyes of the Irish State...

The safety of decent people is secondary to the civil rights of evil people... And this is just simply wrong... I nearly got sick when I read that headline this evening with the words "Children 6 & 9 raped".. If that guy is guilty of raping those two girls, then he should die for his actions..

That is my point, we need proper sentencing but government more concerned with more courts.

The fact that the Catholic Church is still allowed to have influence in Irish schools says it all about our attitude towards the sexual abuse of children in this country.

The fact that the Catholic Church is still allowed to have influence in Irish schools says it all about our attitude towards the sexual abuse of children in this country.

The fact is the rape of the two girls had nothing to do with the Catholic church, but by bringing the Catholic church into it, you are moving away from the person who committed this awful crime in Athlone.

The abuse in the Catholic church only made up about 4% of all abuse, yet was covered as if it made up all the abuse.

You will find abusers in every area of society.

A teacher in a non religious school every bit as likely to be an abuser as in a religious school. That is how it is

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

That is my point, we need proper sentencing but government more concerned with more courts.

It is not in the interest of the legal profession to have proper sentencing - they make their money representing the same individuals over and over again. Sentences that fit the crime & put a stop to individuals availing of multiple free legal aid entitlements.

The fact is the rape of the two girls had nothing to do with the Catholic church, but by bringing the Catholic church into it, you are moving away from the person who committed this awful crime in Athlone.

The abuse in the Catholic church only made up about 4% of all abuse, yet was covered as if it made up all the abuse.

You will find abusers in every area of society.

A teacher in a non religious school every bit as likely to be an abuser as in a religious school. That is how it is
    The Catholic Church as an institution covered it up, that's the key difference between them and other cases. I'm merely pointing out the attitude of Irish people towards the abuse of children in that many still want priests to have influence in schools. Mad. Our outrage and horror makes me laugh. If we are truly outraged with the sexual abuse of children, then the largest institution that covered it up, should not be trusted with children.

The Catholic Church as an institution covered it up, that's the key difference between them and other cases. I'm merely pointing out the attitude of Irish people towards the abuse of children in that many still want priests to have influence in schools. Mad. Our outrage and horror makes me laugh. If we are truly outraged with the sexual abuse of children, then the largest institution that covered it up, should not be trusted with children.

But you are making out all priests are abusers in this post.

The Catholic church has put in child safe guarding measures that are better than the state's own. It is a safer place for children now than other areas in society. I mean a child is never allowed to be alone with a priest, to protect the child and to protect the priest from false allegations.

What is mad is how you brand all with the one brush, might as well claim no man can be trusted with a child.
    You can't judge the good people in society by the evil people in society, you can't judge the good priests in the church by the evil priests who abused and by those who covered it up.
    It is not how we should do things.

But you are making out all priests are abusers in this post.

The Catholic church has put in child safe guarding measures that are better than the state's own. It is a safer place for children now than other areas in society. I mean a child is never allowed to be alone with a priest, to protect the child and to protect the priest from false allegations.

What is mad is how you brand all with the one brush, might as well claim no man can be trusted with a child.
    You can't judge the good people in society by the evil people in society, you can't judge the good priests in the church by the evil priests who abused and by those who covered it up.
    It is not how we should do things.

Please read into the cover up and the significance of the cover up. Many within the Catholic Church covered up the abuse. The safeguards are not in place by the way, unless you can provide some link to prove otherwise?

Just how many reports and victims do you need to convince you that it's bizarre that the Catholic Church have any involvement with children? And equally that many Irish people are content to allow this situation to continue, but yet are horrified by sexual abuse.

I would not allow a child near an elderly celebate man wearing a costume. Bizarre.

Please read into the cover up and the significance of the cover up. Many within the Catholic Church covered up the abuse. The safeguards are not in place by the way, unless you can provide some link to prove otherwise?

Just how many reports and victims do you need to convince you that it's bizarre that the Catholic Church have any involvement with children? And equally that many Irish people are content to allow this situation to continue, but yet are horrified by sexual abuse.

I would not allow a child near an elderly celebate man wearing a costume. Bizarre.

That pretty much sums up your complete prejudice on the matter.

That pretty much sums up your complete prejudice on the matter.

It's hardly prejudicial after the years of reports and what we now know, is it?

Would you allow a child to be left alone with a priest?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,869 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Aaaanyway...back to Vincent Brown...anyone see Mario rosenstocks sketch last night? I've always thought he did a decent version of vinny, but his bit of Sheehan shouting "I'll put my boot through your hoop!" was brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,223 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

Cop on and don't be so blinkered.:o

hotmail, using your logic, I would keep all children away from 30 year old men, especially if from Athlone.
    But that would me choosing to judge all 30 year old men on a man who does not represent all 30 year old men.

Hotmail, a priest would not want to be alone with a child, it is against the rules as it is not best practice for child safety, and we have had more than one case where a priest was wrongly accused and found to be innocent.

The fact is a child was no more likely to be abused in a church environment than anywhere else.
    Hotmail, using your logic, you would not allow your children to go swimming, given we had the sexual abuse in swimming.
    Children would only be reared by women, given we had cases of fathers raping their own children.

We should not judge individual people as being abusers because others who share something like being in the priesthood, being 30 years old, being a swimming coach or a father were involved in sexual abuse.
    hotmail, all these are men, your logic would suggest, you and I are sexual abusers. I am not and I presume you are the same as me, but if I was to treat people who share something in common, then I could make a false accusation against you, and that would be highly wrong. This is what you are doing to priests who never abused and who would never abuse.

• Advertisement

What a lovely start to the VinB show.

If an election was held now, Labour would lose all it's seats in the Daii.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement