Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tonight With Vincent Browne Thread v3.0 (07/04/13 - 08/07/14)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,309 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

RobertKK wrote: »
    hotmail, using your logic, I would keep all children away from 30 year old men, especially if from Athlone.
    But that would me choosing to judge all 30 year old men on a man who does not represent all 30 year old men.

Hotmail, a priest would not want to be alone with a child, it is against the rules as it is not best practice for child safety, and we have had more than one case where a priest was wrongly accused and found to be innocent.

The fact is a child was no more likely to be abused in a church environment than anywhere else.
    Hotmail, using your logic, you would not allow your children to go swimming, given we had the sexual abuse in swimming.
    Children would only be reared by women, given we had cases of fathers raping their own children.

We should not judge individual people as being abusers because others who share something like being in the priesthood, being 30 years old, being a swimming coach or a father were involved in sexual abuse.
    hotmail, all these are men, your logic would suggest, you and I are sexual abusers. I am not and I presume you are the same as me, but if I was to treat people who share something in common, then I could make a false accusation against you, and that would be highly wrong. This is what you are doing to priests who never abused and who would never abuse.

That's not what I said. I said I would not leave a child alone with a priest. None of the rubbish you're talking about.

I stand by that. Elderly celibate men wearing costumes are not to be trusted.

By the way the veiled defence of the clergy is rather disturbing. But there you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,758 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

What a lovely start to the VinB show.

If an election was held now, Labour would lose all it's seats in the Daii.

Eamon Gilmour, the man who murdered Labour.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,749 ✭✭✭✭grey_so_what

Serves him right. He promised the world and delivered what??

He shot himself in the foot but will retire at the next election with a nice nest egg.......I presume.......:rolleyes:

Serves him right. He promised the world and delivered what??

He shot himself in the foot but will retire at the next election with a nice nest egg.......I presume.......:rolleyes:

His 30 pieces of silver.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

What a lovely start to the VinB show.

If an election was held now, Labour would lose all it's seats in the Daii.
    The last straw for me was when they supported the cut in the Carers' Respite Grant, they've abandoned their principles so they deserve to lose their seats.

• Advertisement

Gilmore needs the axe. His cowardly decision to pick foreign affairs was a sign of things to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

It's mad, before that guy spoke (The Geography lecturer), I thought he was going to be a barrister !! He looks like a barrister

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Can't wait to see the back of them. Bunch of sell-outs.

That's not what I said. I said I would not leave a child alone with a priest. None of the rubbish you're talking about.

By the way the veiled defence of the clergy is rather disturbing. But there you go.
    I find your posts highly offensive, do you insult all religions or it just catholicism you have a problem with?

Can you not make your point without being so insulting?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Labour are looking like they will be history unless something miraculous happens for them.
    I know I will never even consider them again - I trusted them once in 1992 and after the lie that they'd never consider coalition with FF, I was right to never trust them again.

And i agree with hotmail, their own so-called leader chickened out snapping up a 'safe' ministry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,747 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

...and I said a priest would not want to be alone with a child. It is against church rules, it is to offer protection to both child and priest.

Being celibate doesn't make one an abuser. I don't think one is celibate if they are raping children.
    We do not have to worry about celibate men or women, and what one wears does not influence things.

I will defend anyone who I think is being treated unfairly, innocent people should not be made or implied to be child abusers.

Rabbitte and Gilmore will probably do a Cowen and Dempsey before the election.

MrsD007 wrote: »
    I find your posts highly offensive, do you insult all religions or it just catholicism you have a problem with?

They usually are elderly, they are all celibate (apparently) and they all wear costumes? What's so offensive about that?

And yes, I take issue with all religions.

Sir Oxman wrote: »
    Labour are looking like they will be history unless something miraculous happens for them.
    I know I will never even consider them again - I trusted them once in 1992 and after the lie that they'd never consider coalition with FF, I was right to never trust them again.

And i agree with hotmail, their own so-called leader chickened out snapping up a 'safe' ministry.

and getting his wife sorted with a nice little earner too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,805 ✭✭✭take everything

Vinny can't seem to say "Joan Burton" in a serious voice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

...and I said a priest would not want to be alone with a child. It is against church rules to offer protection to both child and priest.

Being celibate doesn't make one an abuser. I don't think one is celibate if they are raping children.
    We do not have to worry about celibate men or women, and what one wears does not influence things.

I will defend anyone who I think is being treated unfairly, innocent people should not be made or implied to be child abusers.

I agree with this.

Clerical Bashing............How sad.

There is good and bad in every way of life.

I know wonderful priest's and they do not deserve to be tarred with a poisonous brush.

I should say I'm referring to Hotmails comments......

Labour politicians in the media defending Gilmore and their party...they always come across as delusional.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

This discussion is a complete waste of time midway through a government's term. (I'm one about the discussion on the telly - Not the priest bashing one here).

By the time the next election comes around the landscape will have changed and they will have two budgets (after the upcoming one) to soften up the electorate.

They usually are elderly, they are all celibate (apparently) and they all wear costumes? What's so offensive about that?

And yes, I take issue with all religions.
    I've no wish to spend any time explaining it to you, manners and basic courtesy cost nothing. We are all aware of your hatred of the catholic church and it's getting tiring now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49,731 ✭✭✭✭coolhull

...and I said a priest would not want to be alone with a child. It is against church rules, it is to offer protection to both child and priest.

Hey lads this is the Vinnie Show thread. Could you guys not find another forum for your opinions? There are plenty here on Boards

If the Economy turns Labour will romp home??............Don't think so........

I've no wish to spend any time explaining it to you, manners and basic courtesy cost nothing. We are all aware of your hatred of the catholic church and it's getting tiring now.

No point in having a debate with a bigot.

Surely if you felt it was offensive, you could string a sentence together explaining yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Busted Flat.

If the Economy turns Labour will romp home??............Don't think so........

If me aunt had baiis, she would be me uncle.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Tayto Lover, the man who murdered Eamon Gilmore's surname. :D

We are all aware of your hatred of the catholic church and it's getting tiring now.

Eh I wasn't ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

coolhull wrote: »
    Hey lads this is the Vinnie Show thread. Could you guys not find another forum for your opinions? There are plenty here on Boards

Can I suggest the "That Would Be An Ecumenical Matter" Forum..

coolhull wrote: »

That is fair enough, it started last night when the papers covered on the show talked about the horrific case in Athlone.
    I said all I wanted to say in regards to abuse and accusations/implying a certain group are all abusers.

• Advertisement

Lapin wrote: »
    Tayto Lover, the man who murdered Eamon Gilmore's surname. :D

He's thinking Dave Gilmour !! :P

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement