Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tonight With Vincent Browne Thread v3.0 (07/04/13 - 08/07/14)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Busted Flat.

Christ, that Eddie Jordan Eircom ad is annoying.

I would think it would be more annoying to Ronan Keating.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

A lot of non-voters want to vote, but the choices they're met with means they stay at home. I don't like the idea of forcing them to vote.

Ah come on Hotmail, how hard is it to decide to vote Yes or No ??

He is the "Invisible" leader HA.....

I think he has just decided to let the lads carry the can and keep the head low and ride it out until he is eventually "ousted" and sidle off West.......And that girl Lucinda will be leading the pack imo........

And help us all when that happens, right wing conservatism gets grip on Ireland will be the headline

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

vicwatson wrote: »

Definite maybe :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,749 ✭✭✭✭grey_so_what

I wish the Irish would realise how wonderful it is to actually have the right to vote....

I can't stand the idea of just not bothering to vote......Such a waste.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

Good news at last for the Priory Hall people, not before time.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,309 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Callan57 wrote: »
    You can always spoil your vote

Lots of spoiled votes are pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

There was a 'Don't Care' option which was exercised by 60% of the voters....they stayed away!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Lots of spoiled votes are pointless.

Not necessarily. If enough people spoil their votes, it can make a powerful enough statement.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,747 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I see animal rights groups protesting over the Love/Hate cat murder scene, less controversial if it had been the child that was the focus of the scare tactic.

• Advertisement

I wish the Irish would realise how wonderful it is to actually have the right to vote....

I always vote, then I can complain if I am not happy afterwards :pac:

Ah, Vincent and Moi!........Kitty lovers........:)

Not necessarily. If enough people spoil their votes, it can make a powerful enough statement.

The low turnout sends out a pretty big message.

There is indeed only limited number of circumstances where in my opinion it is ok not to vote.

Then again politics of this country have driven people wrong for so long and there has been so much corruption in politics I can also see why people have given 2 fingers to the whole process

Vincent cutting it tight there with the tweets!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

I can't believe so many people are getting their knickers in a twist over that Love/Hate scene.
    As Brian Conley used to say, "IT'S A PUPPET!!!" :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 49,731 ✭✭✭✭coolhull

Absolutely agree. But my own kids are in their twenties, (with 3rd level education)and no matter how much I plead, they say the just couldn't be bothered.
    Personally, I have never missed an opportunity to vote since I turned 18

There is indeed only limited number of circumstances where in my opinion it is ok not to vote.

Then again politics of this country have driven people wrong for so long and there has been so much cooruption in politics I can also see why people have given 2 fingers to the whole process

That statement alone would make me que in the rain to vote....:o

RobertKK wrote: »
    I see animal rights groups protesting over the Love/Hate cat murder scene, less controversial if it had been the child that was the focus of the scare tactic.

Well you wouldn't expect an animal rights group to speak out about children? Of course they're going to speak out about animals!

The low turnout sends out a pretty big message.

I think it was a good turnout, it shows there is 61% of useless ar$e holes sitting back drinking Dutch Gold and smoking whacky backy. Nothing has changed in the last 100 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

Then again politics of this country have driven people wrong for so long and there has been so much cooruption in politics I can also see why people have given 2 fingers to the whole process
    Of course there is corruption in politics......it is because voters vote for corrupt people, but they don't seem to see the connection between who they vote for and who ends up in power.:confused:

40% of people care about their right to a vote.
    Some more would likely have left the country through emigration.
    more would be sick and be not up to voting.
    I got a voting card for my dead mother - she is dead near two years, so the register is not upto date.

Overall I think maybe about half the people didn't vote, others couldn't make it to the polling station and others on the register are dead.

coolhull wrote: »
    Absolutely agree. But my own kids are in their twenties, (with 3rd level education)and no matter how much I plead, they say the just couldn't be bothered.
    Personally, I have never missed an opportunity to vote since I turned 18

Tbh coolhull, I went to vote with my child. The issue was chatted about in the house, the leaflet was read and the mind was made up....Voting is just a thing we have always considered as an important issue.

I agree, not many of the young pals voted though and that makes me sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 49,731 ✭✭✭✭coolhull

You don't vote you get a fine

Works in at least 10 countries in the world

Too much apathy in Ireland

:mad:
    But vic, you can bring a horse to water but you can't make him drink.
    Similarly, you can bring an elector to a polling booth but you cant make him/her vote

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭COYW

Don't know about anyone else but I wasn't asked for ID. Just handed in my voting card and they handed me the ballot papers. I could have been anyone who found that card.

Personally, I cast my vote but I do find voting, particularly in general elections, extremely difficult, as I am not of the left wing or republican mindset. The options are very limited.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

Sometimes it can be extremely difficult. Take the Lisbon Treaty, for instance. Did anybody actually understand what they were voting for/against? I certainly didn't. Some of our referendums are very complicated.

Not everybody has the time (or the education) to adequately read up on every referendum. Also, a lot of people have lost whatever faith they ever had in politicians of any hue. I wouldn't blame people for exercising their right not to vote. It should always be a choice.

RayM wrote: »
    Sometimes it can be extremely difficult. Take the Lisbon Treaty, for instance. Did anybody actually understand what they were voting for/against? I certainly didn't. Some of our referendums are very complicated.

Not everybody has the time (or the education) to adequately read up on every referendum. Also, a lot of people have lost whatever faith they ever had in politicians of any hue. I wouldn't blame people for exercising their right not to vote. It should always be a choice.
    Yes, but if these people spoiled their vote by saying "I don't understand what I'm voting for" their message would be received and there is a (remote) possibility that lessons would be learnt.

MrsD007 wrote: »
    Yes, but if these people spoiled their vote by saying "I don't understand what I'm voting for" their message would be received and there is a (remote) possibility that lessons would be learnt.

Mrs D, do you really believe that the 39% of the electorate did not know where to put their X. No excuse's.

Mrs D, do you really believe that the 39% of the electorate did not know where to put their X. No excuse's.
    No, I don't Busted.

I was replying to Ray's earlier post. He was talking about more complex referendums like the Lisbon Treaty.

• Advertisement

MrsD007 wrote: »

What's written on spoiled votes isn't recorded.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement