Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tonight With Vincent Browne Thread v3.0 (07/04/13 - 08/07/14)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,309 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Shocked that the Rape Crisis Centre's report didnt find that 100% of all males were sexual abusers.. Cos that's the impression I always get from them.

99% of abusers/rapists are men.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,749 ✭✭✭✭grey_so_what

The tweets coming in are completely shocking......:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

And a play about rape... ffs... Get Phil to play "Congratulations" and we'll all gone home.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Busted Flat.

What is this bull$hite to do with a current affairs program.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,749 ✭✭✭✭grey_so_what

Vincent needs to get a few decent politicians now and again, Phil C is sending me to Noddy land........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49,731 ✭✭✭✭coolhull

I like Phil Coulter, but he would be more suited to Derek Mooney's Show

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

So we are worse off since Enda became Taoiseach..........Now we know the cause of all our troubles!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Phil has released his own anti - drug song "Puppet Strung out"..

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

The VB show is fast becoming the greatest ever cure for insomnia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭COYW

Roger_007 wrote: »
    So we are worse off since Enda became Taoiseach..........Now we know the cause of all our troubles!

Time to get FF back in! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

The Dublin Rape Crises flag/donation days are tomorrow and Saturday, if you see collectors and if you can please Donate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭bluefinger

99% of abusers/rapists are men.

that seems high. do you have a source you could point me to for that?

bluefinger wrote: »
    that seems high. do you have a source you could point me to for that?

no it's a guess. I don't know the real rate but i would imagine it's close to 99%. Just find it interesting that some men get annoyed with the emphasis on women being the victims of rape.

no it's a guess. I don't know the real rate but i would imagine it's close to 99%. Just find it interesting that some men get annoyed with the emphasis on women being the victims of rape.

With all due respect, you can't just pluck figures out of thin air on a hunch or a guess.

With all due respect, you can't just pluck figures out of thin air on a hunch or a guess.

this is not the UN or a court, it's boards.ie, with all due respect. Most rapists are men. You don't need a report to say that.

this is not the UN or a court, it's boards.ie, with all due respect. Most rapists are men. You don't need a report to say that.

I'm not saying it's the UN or a court, but it seems to me as if you got your figures from the same place that the Anglo Irish executives got theirs from.

I'm not saying it's the UN or a court, but it seems to me as if you got your figures from the same place that the Anglo Irish executives got theirs from.

Rest assured, that's not where i got them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

In the United States, the figure is 99 percent.

A lot of men seem to get bizarrely defensive whenever this issue is raised, turning the whole thing into a bout of tedious whataboutery. It's quite cringe-worthy. They seem to think that whenever somebody (especially a woman) states the fact that the vast majority of rapes are perpetrated by men, on women, they're actually implying that all men are rapists.

RayM wrote: »
    In the United States, the figure is 99 percent.

A lot of men seem to get bizarrely defensive whenever this issue is raised, turning the whole thing into a bout of tedious whataboutery. It's quite cringe-worthy. They seem to think that whenever somebody (especially a woman) states the fact that the vast majority of rapes are perpetrated by men, on women, they're actually implying that all men are rapists.

Not being defensive myself, just curious that about the figure of 99%. It seems incredibly high, especially when the original statement pronounced that 99% of all abusers and rapists are men. Your figures are criminal convictions of men for rape.

Not being defensive myself, just curious that about the figure of 99%. It seems incredibly high, especially when the original statement pronounced that 99% of all abusers and rapists are men. Your figures are criminal convictions of men for rape.

Whether the statistics are accurate or not, few would dispute the fact that the vast majority of abusers and rapists are male. I get the impression that some people would prefer if that fact was never brought up.

• Advertisement

Whether the statistics are accurate or not, few would dispute the fact that the vast majority of abusers and rapists are male. I get the impression that some people would prefer if that fact was never brought up.
    People are free to bring up whatever they want, whenever they want and represent their argument any way they want. Although it probably does an argument more harm than good when you support it with guesswork or figments of your imagination.

People are free to bring up whatever they want, whenever they want and represent their argument any way they want. Although it probably does an argument more harm than good when you support it with guesswork or figments of your imagination.

What "harm" exactly has been done to the argument that the vast majority of abusers are male? I mean, does anybody in their right mind actually disagree with that?

What "harm" exactly has been done to the argument that the vast majority of abusers are male? I mean, does anybody in their right mind actually disagree with that?

The original statement was that 99% of abusers are male. I don't know for sure but I think many people would disagree with this. I believe we're clogging up the thread at this stage. you're free to pm me if you wish to continue discussing this, but i really found the original statement amazing and merely sought some clarity on it.

The original statement was that 99% of abusers are male. I don't know for sure but I think many people would disagree with this. I believe we're clogging up the thread at this stage. you're free to pm me if you wish to continue discussing this, but i really found the original statement amazing and merely sought some clarity on it.

So, no harm has been done to the argument that the vast majority of abusers are male. Glad we got that clarified.

So, no harm has been done to the argument that the vast majority of abusers are male. Glad we got that clarified.

To be fair, that's not the issue and it's certainly not in doubt. It's more to do with the fact that somebody stated that 99% of abusers are male, and when asked from where he got that statistic, he said it was a guess.

The argument was not that the vast Majority of abusers are male. Had I read that I would not have commented. The argument was that 99 per cent are which in my ignorance I thought was surprising and specific.

To be fair, that's not the issue and it's certainly not in doubt. It's more to do with the fact that somebody stated that 99% of abusers are male, and when asked from where he got that statistic, he said it was a guess.

yeah that's the issue. Are you serious? The vast vast majority of abusers/rapists are men.

yeah that's the issue. Are you serious? The vast vast majority of abusers/rapists are men.

I'm not disputing that at all. The vast majority of rapists are men. What I am disputing is the fact that you came up with a figure and then you said it was "a guess".

This is beginning to feel like Groundhog Day.......

• Registered Users Posts: 51,759 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I'm not disputing that at all. The vast majority of rapists are men. What I am disputing is the fact that you came up with a figure and then you said it was "a guess".

This is beginning to feel like Groundhog Day.......

Here's some statistics for you Harry. U.S. i'm afraid.

http://www.oneinfourusa.org/statistics.php

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

Vincent and his panel will be discussing tomorrow's budget.

I think the medical card for under fives is a very bad move, it would be far better to give cards to people who actually need them - i.e those with a serious illness/disability or people who can't afford to pay for GP visits.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement