Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tonight With Vincent Browne Thread v3.0 (07/04/13 - 08/07/14)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Chazz Michael Michaels

Sir Richard Boyd Barrett IV is so bloody obnoxious. Who votes for him?

I read today that he had sought and was granted permission to act in the series. Apparently he did so while on leave and there was no bar on him doing so.
    Surely it would effect his present role in the Garda though and he will have to change roles.
    Maybe he wants to be an actor.

I've never watched an episode of Love Hate but I do like the look of the Detective.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭COYW

There's no evidence that that will happen. People currently with medical cards don't go to the doctors with these things.

The idea of free access to health to all regardless of income doesn't seem like a bad idea to me. The end of private health insurance would be a relief to many people.

The end of private health insurance wouldn't be a relief to the tax payer. The cost would be crippling. Surgeries are flooded as it is. The surgeries have specific fee paying time slots, usually in the evening, where I live because medical card holders are flooding the surgery for the other sessions.

Also, as someone who is heavily involved with multinationals, I would not look for an increase in the Corporation Tax rate. NI will mounting a serious assault on our multinational business over the next few years, as the UK sees the gap in the market. They are ridiculously overly reliant on the public sector up there. Cameron and Arlene Foster were talking this up last week. NI will undercut over rate as soon as they get the wiggle room from London. I'd put my salary on it!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Sir Richard Boyd Barrett IV is so bloody obnoxious. Who votes for him?

A lot of the people in Dun Laoghaire apparently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,749 ✭✭✭✭grey_so_what

MrsD007 wrote: »
    Maybe he wants to be an actor.

I've never watched an episode of Love Hate but I do like the look of the Detective.

If it's true MrsD I'm shocked and horrified.......

Wtf??............I thought they were "Guardians of the Peace"......

Not exactly my idea of keeping the peace........hanging out with the "crew of the baddies".........

He can earn his money catching the real baddies not the "telly" ones........

He should be ashamed of himself and he is making a joke of the real members who do try to be "undercover" and make a difference.........:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,309 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

COYW wrote: »
    The end of private health insurance wouldn't be a relief to the tax payer. The cost would be crippling. Surgeries are flooded as it is. The surgeries have specific fee paying time slots, usually in the evening, where I live because medical card holders are flooding the surgery for the other sessions.

Must see what flooded surgeries look like. I've never seen one!

Also, as someone who is heaving involved in the multinational sector, I would not look for an increase in the tax rate. NI will mounting a serious assault on our multinational business over the next few years, as the UK sees the gap in the market. They are ridiculously overly reliant on the public sector up there. Cameron and Arlene Foster were talking this up last week.
    I'm sure that some have chronic conditions that need regular GP care but there are definitely some medical card holders who abuse the system by running to the doctor with every little ailment and have enough drugs in their medical chest to supply their entire family and some of their friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 49,731 ✭✭✭✭coolhull

Preview of the papers on earlier tonight. Is this going to be a regular thing?

coolhull wrote: »
    Preview of the papers on earlier tonight. Is this going to be a regular thing?

I'd say it's designed to force VB to end the main debate and devote more than two minutes to the preview.

• Advertisement

I'm sure that some have chronic conditions that need regular GP care but there are definitely some medical card holders who abuse the system by running to the doctor will every little ailment and have enough drugs in their medical chest to supply their entire family and some of their friends.

There's no evidence of this whatsoever and some medical card holders will find this offensive.

It's strange to see somebody leave RTE for Newstalk, apart from Pat Kenny....

O'Connor went to Today FM but it's all part of the same Denis O'Brien group.

O'Callaghan went to Today FM but it's all part of the same Denis O'Brien group.

O'Connor?

There's no evidence of this whatsoever and some medical card holders will find this offensive.
    I think you missed this word in my post

Some

I think you missed this word in my post

Some

You have no evidence?

It's just a guess. You have no idea.

Why bother saying it?

O'Connor?
    Did Vinny introduce him as O'Callaghan, I could have sworn that he did?

Hotmail, I have no interest in communicating any further with you this evening.

Goodnight!

Did Vinny introduce him as O'Callaghan, I could have sworn that he did?

He did. For a second I thought it was the 2FM guy :D

Hotmail, I have no interest in communicating any further with you this evening.

Goodnight!

If you're going to make controversial, unfounded and offensive comments, you have to prepare yourself to be questioned.

• Advertisement

He did. For a second I thought it was the 2FM guy :D
    Me too :)

Gareth O'Callaghan is with 4FM, was he with Today FM for a time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭COYW

Do you know any doctors, personally I mean? You do know that medical cards are projected to cost the country €2.5bn this year.

Do you know any doctors, personally I mean? You do know that medical cards are projected to cost the country €2.5bn this year.

Do you want people to die?

All the doctors I know are millionaires.

Prescription charges curb abuse of system but it’s vital to protect most vulnerable

By Dr Aileen Murphy
    Monday, September 23, 2013
    Medical card prescription charges provide the Government with the opportunity to increase revenues without increasing taxes or reallocating resources. Thus, they have proven to be a valuable source of revenue for the cash-strapped Government — collecting €105m since their introduction in 2010.

Furthermore, the charges are a useful tool for reducing moral hazard among medical card patients. That is, they can reduce wasteful use of healthcare resources by unnecessary prescriptions and/or over-prescribing.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/archives/2013/0923/business/prescription-charges-curb-abuse-of-system-but-itaposs-vital-to-protect-most-vulnerable-243915.html

It's cases like this that the government should be concerned about. This woman should be given her medical card.
    Cancer patient’s medical card bid left unanswered

Thursday, October 10, 2013

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/cancer-patients-medical-card-bid-left-unanswered-245815.html

Is this suppose to be evidence to support your earlier sweeping generalisation? This is not evidence. This is the opinion of a lecturer (on economics).

You're fond of your sweeping statements alright, this is a hilarious one from this evening

Do you want people to die?

All the doctors I know are millionaires.

Goodnight and Sleep Well :)

You're fond of your sweeping statements alright, this is a hilarious one from this evening

Goodnight and Sleep Well :)

This means you're wrong and potentially offensive?

Rather than withdrawing your earlier statement, you want to defend doctors.

• Registered Users Posts: 49,731 ✭✭✭✭coolhull

I think both of you are right, to a point. Yes, quite a few people abuse the medical card that they are awarded, but the majority of people don't.
    Yes, quite a few doctors make a fortune from having medical card patients on their books, but a lot of those patients could not afford to go to a doctor privately.
    As in any walk of life, there are users and abusers.
    So why don't you two just shake virtual hands, and lets move on..?

• Advertisement

I feel that only those that really need medical cards should receive them.

It's farcical that all children aged five and younger will have a GP card even if their parents are wealthy. The same is true of some over 70s. Then you have cancer patients, people with serious disabilities or chronic conditions who are fighting to obtain or retain their card.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement