Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tonight With Vincent Browne Thread v3.0 (07/04/13 - 08/07/14)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

The medical card is hugely abused - everyone I know who has one has a small chemists in their kitchen cupboards full of prescription medicines & supplies half the neighbours. My own mother RIP had a precription, which by the time she passed away, was a couple of pages long - GP never, ever deleted anything from it but every visit something else was added. At one stage she had medication for low and high blood pressure on the prescription and it was never queried by GP or by pharmacist - & when we queried it got a "shoulder shrug" & a sure she's on a medical card what difference does it make!

No country could keep this racket going

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Skid X wrote: »
    I don't think the Pensioners have the same momentum as last time.

Thats because most of them know they have little or feckall to complain about.

Its about time they took a hit. The rest of us have been fleeced in the last few budgets and have nothing more to give. I'm sick listening to them saying how they built this country and then whinge about losing €9.50 a monthe on a telephone allowance after travelling to Dublin on their free passes.

And the way they carry on about the extra euro on prescription charges you'd think they were the only ones who get sick.

Irish pensioners get a lot more benefits tham most of their European counterparts. If they're not happy, they can do what those really hit hardest are being forced to do.

Emigrate.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

They have, but it only impacts on a relatively small number of people.

And I don't think it will cost the Government many votes - most people tend to vote based on what the Government has done to them, and their families.

It's a very unfair move by the Government, but I think they know it won't cost them many votes.
    True, but they are a very vocal group and they're getting massive coverage in the media.

It doesn't look good when cancer patients and children with severe disabilities appear on TV begging the HSE/Dept. of Health for a medical card.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,749 ✭✭✭✭grey_so_what

Lapin wrote: »

Emigrate.

:(:(:(

I remember protesting about Wood Quay!!........

• Advertisement

:(:(:(

Not you.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Vincent, when you were in College you had no fees and most courses were much easier.

The Students have to try and pay their way and go to Lectures.

• Registered Users Posts: 49,731 ✭✭✭✭coolhull

The Over 70s Universal Medical Card was one of the most cynical ill thought out election gimmicks ever.

It wouldn't take a Demographics expert to realise it was unsustainable (even if we hadn't had a Bust).
    Yes it was, but the free GP care for ALL under fives comes a close second
    Another cynical ploy by Labour.

Not you.:eek:

:);)

That's worth a pint.......:p

• Registered Users Posts: 51,761 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Thats because most of them know they have little or feckall to complain about.

Its about time they took a hit. The rest of us have been fleeced in the last few budgets and have nothing more to give. I'm sick listening to them saying how they built this country and then whinge about losing €9.50 a monthe on a telephone allowance after travelling to Dublin on their free passes.

And the way they carry on about the extra euro on prescription charges you'd think they were the only ones who get sick.

Irish pensioners get a lot more benefits tham most of their European counterparts. If they're not happy, they can do what those really hit hardest are being forced to do.

Emigrate.
    I don't know what age you are but these people worked through many recessions. I can remember paying tax @ 58%. In other words many of the elderly paid for many a recession.

• Advertisement

MrsD007 wrote: »
    True, but they are a very vocal group and they're getting massive coverage in the media.

It doesn't look good when cancer patients and children with severe disabilities appear on TV begging the HSE/Dept. of Health for a medical card.

It will be long forgotten by most people before the next Election, sadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,309 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Callan57 wrote: »
    The medical card is hugely abused - everyone I know who has one has a small chemists in their kitchen cupboards full of prescription medicines & supplies half the neighbours. My own mother RIP had a precription, which by the time she passed away, was a couple of pages long - GP never, ever deleted anything from it but every visit something else was added. At one stage she had medication for low and high blood pressure on the prescription and it was never queried by GP or by pharmacist - & when we queried it got a "shoulder shrug" & a sure she's on a medical card what difference does it make!

No country could keep this racket going

This is the fault of the GPs over prescribing, not the patients.

Rabbitte, Gilmour, and Kenny all went to my college. NUI Galway. :(

But on the plus side the place also gave us President Higgins. :)

A bit harsh Lapin :(

Not all pensioners are wealthy but the ones that are should lose their medical cards and other benefits.

The free bus pass is feck all good to you unless you're living in a large town or city.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Busted Flat.

I would think that student guy will go SF. The party of progress.

:);)

That's worth a pint.......:p

...........of gin :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

Of course it doesn't look good but I can't help feeling there is something very manipulative about it nonetheless.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,805 ✭✭✭take everything

Big mischievous head on Vinny. :D

Hahahahahahaha........Vincent is getting his own back because they are running buckshot on him!

I remember my dad talking about paying 18% mortgage interest in the early 80s, older people have lived though hard times too.

• Advertisement

I don't know what age you are but these people worked through many recessions. I can remember paying tax @ 58%. In other words many of the elderly paid for many a recession.

Not every Pensioner was living on bread and water in the old days.

Should Children be forced to suffer because of a misguided notion that all Pensioners lived in squalor pre Celtic Tiger?

It is time wealthy Pensioners took their share of the pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

Vincent, when you were in College you had no fees and most courses were much easier.

The Students have to try and pay their way and go to Lectures.

I just heard a snippet of Mooneys program and they were talking about how all the students in UCD have cars.......times have changed since my student days. This austerity is terrible indeed....:rolleyes:

I remember my dad talking about paying 18% mortgage interest in the early 80s, older people have lived though hard times too.

Yeah, but that generation paid pittance for their houses.

Callan57 wrote: »
    Of course it doesn't look good but I can't help feeling there is something very manipulative about it nonetheless.
    Really? :eek:

You have no idea..........:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 51,761 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Should Children be forced to suffer because of a misguided notion that all Pensioners lived in squalor pre Celtic Tiger?

It is time wealthy Pensioners took their share of the pain.

No problem at all with the wealthy paying :D

It only looks that way now, everything is relative.

Roger_007 wrote: »
    I just heard a snippet of Mooneys program and they were talking about how all the students in UCD have cars.......times have changed since my student days. This austerity is terrible indeed....:rolleyes:

They don't really Roger.....They just commander the car, but they work for the tax and insurance.......at least they do in my house!....:)

It only looks that way now, everything is relative.

Relatively, the houses were cheaper then than they are now.

• Advertisement

Not in comparison to what they were paid in the day!......

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement