Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tonight With Vincent Browne Thread v3.0 (07/04/13 - 08/07/14)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

MrsD007 wrote: »
    It only looks that way now, everything is relative.

House prices went completely out of proportion to Income in recent years.

They were far cheaper pre-boom

house-price-graph.jpg

http://www.theguardian.com/business/ireland-business-blog-with-lisa-ocarroll/2010/nov/16/ireland-bailout-crisis

• Registered Users Posts: 51,761 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Yeah, but that generation paid pittance for their houses.

When I bought my first house it cost 12,075.
    Got a mortgage for 11k and had savings of about 1 k. Could I get the 75 pounds anywhere, beg, borrow or steal, had to take out a secret loan.
    Took me the guts of 25 years to pay the mortgage off.
    Money was money then and wages were poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,309 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

What evidence did the Gardai have to take that Roma child off their parents?

This is going to be a scandal.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

Skid X wrote: »
    House prices went completely out of proportion to Income in recent years.

They were far cheaper pre-boom

house-price-graph.jpg

http://www.theguardian.com/business/ireland-business-blog-with-lisa-ocarroll/2010/nov/16/ireland-bailout-crisis
    My point is that houses in the 80s weren't exactly cheap when people were paying 18% interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,749 ✭✭✭✭grey_so_what

When I bought my first house it cost 12,075.
    Got a mortgage for 11k and had savings of about 1 k. Could I get the 75 pounds anywhere, beg, borrow or steal, had to take out a secret loan.
    Took me the guts of 25 years to pay the mortgage off.
    Money was money then and wages were poor.

That is spot on tayto!

• Advertisement

Will Bulmers be affected by minimum pricing!!?

I've no doubt you will play it again tomorrow Vincent.........:)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

They don't really Roger.....They just commander the car, but they work for the tax and insurance.......at least they do in my house!....:)

They may have exaggerated about them all having cars, but they point I was making was that in my student days (80s), virtually no student had a car. Everything is relative.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Will Bulmers be affected by minimum pricing!!?

Bulmers is too expensive already!

Skid X wrote: »
    Bulmers is too expensive already!

I agree, I hope it gets left alone!!

• Advertisement

Roger_007 wrote: »
    They may have exaggerated about them all having cars, but they point I was making was that in my student days (80s), virtually no student had a car. Everything is relative.

I agree, but it's not all students rolling into the carpark in BMW's!.....We didn't have cars in the 80's but it is different times now.

Families do have cars nowadays and it is not unreasonable to think that they would't be used by all family members. A lot of students travel long distances to college and a car is sometimes not a luxury...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

A bit harsh Lapin :(

Not all pensioners are wealthy but the ones that are should lose their medical cards and other benefits.

The free bus pass is feck all good to you unless you're living in a large town or city.

I don't mean to be harsh.

But I've been through some budgets in recent years that have been very harsh for me so it makes my blood boil to hear people losing the rag over losing a phone allowance worth less than a tenner a month.

As for the medical cards - I don't think people should be entitled to one just because they reach a certain age. If they need one they should be means tested. I agree that there are some people who should be automatically entitled to one, regardless of age.

If pensioners want to use the fact that they worked hard all their lives then I'm entitled to ask them why they didn't make better provisions for their old age. I also ask them to take a look around them them and ask themselves if they are happy with the society they created.

You reap what you sow.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

There are quite a few pensioners bailing out their adult children, I know friends of mine who are relying on handouts from their parents so they can meet their monthly mortgage re-payments and keep their cars on the road.

As for the phone allowance, I think there is a special case to be made for elderly people living in very remote parts of Ireland that have little or no mobile phone coverage.

There are quite a few pensioners bailing out their adult children, I know friends of mine who are relying on handouts from their parents so they can meet their monthly mortgage payments and keep their cars on the road.

As for the phone allowance, I think there is a special case to be made for elderly people living in very remote areas of Ireland that have little or no mobile phone coverage.

I'd love to hand my 87 year old mother a mobile phone........:rolleyes:

Thankfully, she is not dependent on the phone allowance but there are plenty that are.......

I often wonder if people who take allowances like this actually have thought it through, or do they do it so they can renege on it when the fuss starts and it looks like a mini war has been won???

As for the phone allowance, I think there is a special case to be made for elderly people living in very remote parts of Ireland that have little or no mobile phone coverage.

I think everyone living in such places has a case for some sort of compensatory allowance regardless of age.

Thankfully, she is not dependent on the phone allowance but there are plenty that are.......

Like everyone under pension age living on Jobseekers allowance.

Lapin wrote: »
    I think everyone living in such places has a case for some sort of compensatory allowance regardless of age.

Like everyone under pension age living on Jobseekers allowance.

I don't think anyone is a winner these days Lapin.....:(

I don't think anyone is a winner these days Lapin.....:(

Except for.......
    There is a big job coming up in Europe and he (Gilmour) has been linked to that.

:(

Lapin wrote: »
    Except for.......

:(

:(:(:(

He won't go hungry, that's for sure.......Where ever he is these days........

Every media outlet in the country has been covering the fallout from the medical card situation though.

(The withdrawal or refusal to give medical cards to some people with serious illness or disability).

I was looking for this link MrsD last night......

This is the sort of games the government are playing with Medical Card holders.

The stress must be unimaginable for people concerned.....

http://www.herald.ie/news/relief-as-medical-card-is-reinstated-29686263.html

Gerry Adams and his pidgin Irish.......always makes me smile!

• Advertisement

It that's the best Enda can do, it's pretty poor........

No wonder they keep him away from Vincent......

Basically a Government who has a majority can vote in what they like......Nothing new there.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

It that's the best Enda can do, it's pretty poor........

No wonder they keep him away from Vincent......

The only reason he's Taoiseach is because he hung around long enough. He's an embarrassment.

The only reason he's Taoiseach is because he hung around long enough. He's an embarrassment.

So bring back FF?

He is one, if not the longest serving TD's Harry if memory serves me right...

He got the Daddy's job.

Roger_007 wrote: »
    So bring back FF?

It's either Tweedledum or Tweedledee.

It's either Tweedledum or Tweedledee.

I wonder where the crashing Labour vote will go in the future.

Interesting times for the next election.......

Here we go again.......Wicked Vincent.........

Halloween Enda again.........

Kenny and Gilmore are nothing more than liars and hypocrites.

I wonder where the crashing Labour vote will go in the future.

Interesting times for the next election.......

There will probably be 100 independents.......forming a Government will fun.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Some laugh, Kenny and Gilmore doing their best to sound genuine and honest on the back of the truck outside the dail in Oct 2008.

A load of me bollix

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement