Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tonight With Vincent Browne Thread v3.0 (07/04/13 - 08/07/14)

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Were the Gardai involved in this case racist?

Only if they were white Irish males.

That seems all you need to be nowadays to be branded a racist.

Even by other white Irish males.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,317 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Lapin wrote: »

That's because the racists are usually white males.

That's because the racists are usually white males.

I got a warning the other day for making what was refered to as a "sweeping generalisation".

But I don't think I generalised as much as that comment does.

I got a warning the other day for making what was refered to as a "sweeping generalisation".

But I don't think I generalised as much as that comment does.

Oh come on, most of the racist people out there are white males.

I'm not saying that all white males are racist, just that most of the racists tend to be white males.

Would you dispute that?

Oh come on, most of the racist people out there are white males.

I'm not saying that all white males are racist, just that most of the racists tend to be white males.

Would you dispute that?

In terms of sheer numbers that may be true.

But as a proportion of society, yes, I would dispute it.

• Advertisement

In terms of sheer numbers that may be true.

But as a proportion of society, yes, I would dispute it.

As a proportion? What do you mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,871 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

I would have thought that what they needed to do to be branded racist was swoop into a Roma camp and take a child on the basis that it was too pretty to be the kid of these filthy gypos...is someone claiming there wasn't a racial motivation to this farce? Because if so they are completely delusional. Amazing that anyone would hide behind this "white males are the real victims here" ****e talk in a situation so completely cut and dried.

I would have thought that what they needed to do to be branded racist was swoop into a Roma camp and take a child on the basis that it was too pretty to be the kid of these filthy gypos...is someone claiming there wasn't a racial motivation to this farce? Because if so they are completely delusional. Amazing that anyone would hide behind this "white males are the real victims here" ****e talk in a situation so completely cut and dried.

I'm not hiding behind anything. I'm always open with my views. As I said above, I've already received a warning for expressing them but that won't stop me speaking my mind.

There is a growing number of people who are very quick to refer to others as racists simply because they don't agree with them. White Irish males are usually the target of this nonsense. And I'm directly quoting Martin Collins when I use the term 'white Irish males' so that in itself sums up the stupidity of those who are quick to play the race card.

I've listened to enough of Dil Wickremasinghe's Global Village programme on Newstalk to know that this isn't "****e talk" at all.

I don't believe the Gardai were engaged in a racially motivated exercise this week. Its easy for others to accuse them of doing so with the comfort of hindsight. While I agree they could have handled it better, I can only imagine the outcry from those same people if it transpired that the Guards had overlooked a genuine concern from a member of the public in relation to a suspected case of child abduction.

I would have thought that what they needed to do to be branded racist was swoop into a Roma camp and take a child ........

Is that what you call their house ?

I'm not hiding behind anything. I'm always open with my views. As I said above, I've already received a warning for expressing them but that won't stop me speaking my mind.

There is a growing number of people who are very quick to refer to others as racists simply because they don't agree with them. White Irish males are usually the target of this nonsense. And I'm directly quoting Martin Collins when I use the term 'white Irish males' so that in itself sums up the stupidity of those who are quick to play the race card.

I've listened to enough of Dil Wickremasinghe's Global Village programme on Newstalk to know that this isn't "****e talk" at all.

I don't believe the Gardai were engaged in a racially motivated exercise this week. Its easy for others to accuse them of doing so with the comfort of hindsight. While I agree they could have handled it better, I can only imagine the outcry from those same people if it transpired that the Guards had overlooked a genuine concern from a member of the public in relation to a suspected case of child abduction.

You are completely deluded if you think race wasn't a factor in this case, completely deluded. The family produced a passport (and a birth cert AFAIK) and the Gardai still proceeded to remove the child. It smacks of racism. Why not condemn it?

I'm not sure why you got warnings in the past, but perhaps you made comments that were racist and you're unaware of your own prejudices.

Some straight white males are increasingly playing some victim card. Perhaps they should consider if they actually are racist, sexist, homophobic etc rather than attacking the messenger (Dil etc).

• Advertisement

You asked a question.
    Were the Gardai involved in this case racist?

I answered it and backed up my reply.

You reply by calling me deluded twice in the one sentence, bringing homophobia into a discussion where it has absolutely no relevance whatsoever and suggesting that I am a racist over something I said that you are 'not sure' of.

All because you don't agree with my answer.
    You are completely deluded if you think race wasn't a factor in this case, completely deluded. The family produced a passport (and a birth cert AFAIK) and the Gardai still proceeded to remove the child. It smacks of racism. Why not condemn it?

I'm not sure why you got warnings in the past, but perhaps you made comments that were racist and you're unaware of your own prejudices.

Some straight white males are increasingly playing some victim card. Perhaps they should consider if they actually are racist, sexist, homophobic etc rather than attacking the messenger (Dil etc).

Q.E.D.

You asked a question.

I answered it and backed up my reply.

You reply by calling me deluded twice in the one sentence, bringing homophobia into a discussion where it has absolutely no relevance whatsoever and suggesting that I am a racist over something I said that you are 'not sure' of.

All because you don't agree with my answer.

Q.E.D.

Are you a racist?

No.

Are you?

I'd like to think I'm not, but I won't pretend that I haven't been influenced by what I heard as I grew up and being old enough to remember Ireland before non white people. It probably left some prejudices in my mind that may surface from time to time.

I'm pretty open to admitting that and I strive to be a better person and not to judge anyone.

Some of the defensive language you and other posters use (and it's something I come across in daily life with family, friends etc) doesn't exactly suggest great tolerance for non Irish people I have to say. But I could be wrong and take you at your word when you say you're not racist.

Are you a racist?

Apologies for the ninja.

No.

I'm a special needs assistsant working with autistic children, mature student, active volunteer and advocate for those who cannot speak for themselves, bad golfer, occasional ale drinker and 3 hour a day commuter on Irish Rail.

I don't have time for racism in every sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,542 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I'd like to think I'm not, but I won't pretend that I haven't been influenced by what I heard as I grew up and being old enough to remember Ireland before non white people. It probably left some prejudices in my mind that may surface from time to time.

I'm pretty open to admitting that and I strive to be a better person and not to judge anyone.

Some of the defensive language you and other posters use (and it's something I come across in daily life with family, friends etc) doesn't exactly suggest great tolerance for non Irish people I have to say. But I could be wrong and take you at your word when you say you're not racist.

I think you will find most Irish people are tolerant and have no problem with people coming over here to work, however I do have a problem with people coming over to beg on the streets and make camps on roundabouts around the M50 like we saw a few years ago.

What benefit is that to the country?

And keeping on topic you will never hear VB mention that as he browbeats us for having a different view to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,761 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Do the Government fund Pavee Point?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

That programme (which I happen to think is quite good) is on once a week... on a channel that is otherwise dominated by white, straight, Irish males - mostly of a right-wing, conservative, reactionary persuasion. As a white, straight, Irish male, I certainly don't feel that my demographic is underrepresented in the media. I also don't believe that either my ethnicity or my gender will ever result in me being branded a racist. If it ever does happen, it'll be as a result of something I've said or done, rather than my gender or the colour of my skin.

This notion that white males are somehow the most downtrodden, silenced members of society, afraid of opening our mouths in case we're accused of being racists... it's bollocks, frankly. Absolute bollocks.
    Lapin wrote:

I'm sure we can at least agree that the initial report to the Gardai was racially motivated. Of course the Gardai shouldn't overlook genuine concerns from members of the public, but they also shouldn't overlook evidence that contradicts those concerns. And in this case, the evidence (birth certificate and passport) was overwhelming.

If the parents had been dark-haired and Irish (like my parents were), with a blond-haired child (like I was), there is no way that their child would have been taken from them. Even if the Gardai had been called in the first place (which is highly unlikely), they could not possibly have concluded, based on the evidence in front of them, that the child had been abducted.

They receive government funding. Is that a bad thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭chinwag

Quote from Wikipedia:

Pavee Point (PP) is a government-funded non-governmental organization based in Dublin, Ireland that was formed to improve the human rights of Irish Travellers and to bridge the economic and social inequalities between Travellers and settled people.

And from Pavee website:

http://www.paveepoint.ie/who-we-are/values-and-vision/

• Registered Users Posts: 49,731 ✭✭✭✭coolhull

Earlier start tonight?
    Certainly an early ad. break

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

coolhull wrote: »
    Earlier start tonight?
    Certainly an early ad. break

Ya. why dat?

• Advertisement

Don't know, but certainly the ads seem to go on and on and on and....

ZZzzzz.

Who's the young fella with the beard, who talks through his ar$e?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

That bald man always reminds me of an older version of George from Seinfeld.

oqehdt.jpg

350 million in cuts to Health capital spending?
    Well, that fcuks up the plans for the new Children's Hospital, I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

350 million in cuts to Health capital spending?
    Well, that fcuks up the plans for the new Children's Hospital, I'd say.

Ah no sure the sale of the national lottery will sort that:rolleyes:

Does anyone have statistics on the number of people that are stoned watching VB?

Looks like another boring night. You don't have to be stoned to watch it, but I'd say it would certainly help.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭I8A4RE

Isin't Ming on the black list with Mick and Fionn

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

Looks like another boring night. You don't have to be stoned to watch it, but I'd say it would certainly help.

That woman Anne is the most unconvincing panelist I've heard in a long time...!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement