Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tonight With Vincent Browne Thread v3.0 (07/04/13 - 08/07/14)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,749 ✭✭✭✭grey_so_what

sligojoek wrote: »
    That's kinda what I meant. Are TV3 shortening the "grilling time" to try and attract them back?

I'm taking it sj that they don't have anyone with the guts to go on for a decent debate and therefore make the paper slot shorter!!......:D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

If they believe the spiel they are giving the public Skid, they should be well able to stand up to a pensioner.......

I believe in the powers of a good debate.....Stand up for what you believe.

I would.

Pat R was on RTE this morning talking about his haircut in the 70's. He got a soft interview.

He might be a Pensioner but he debates like a Toddler ... no interest in what the other person is saying, no interest in right or wrong, just repeating his own point of view ad nauseum.

This show was good in the run up to the last election, and in the height of the Economic Crisis where it was an outlet for well informed experts to give an Independent opinion on the developing storm.

Now it's just the same panellists over and over again, (the ones he hasn't pissed off with his bizarre interview techniques) talking about the same stories. You could watch every edition of the programme for a month and not hear anything interesting.

Skid X wrote: »
    He might be a Pensioner but he debates like a Toddler ... no interest in what the other person is saying, no interest in right or wrong, just repeating his own point of view ad nauseum.

This show was good in the run up to the last election, and in the height of the Economic Crisis where it was an outlet for well informed experts to give an Independent opinion on the developing storm.

Now it's just the same panellists over and over again, (the ones he hasn't pissed off with his bizarre interview techniques) talking about the same stories. You could watch every edition of the programme for a month and not hear anything interesting.

He has to keep a program going Skid.......that's the brief.

A good debater with belief in what he is governing would appear. That's why the bluffers have disappeared from the show, they can't justify what laws they are passing. It is as simple as that.

If you are running for cover from the Electorate the last thing you want is Vincent on your case.

It's hard to defend what you can't stand over and pledged you wouldn't do in the first place again and again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Busted Flat.

Skid X wrote: »

Do not worry TV 3 will have to pull up their socks with what UTV has to offer, next week we are going to have a rerun of the Black Widow, how much will it cost them if she wins, in the EU court.

Do not worry TV 3 will have to pull up their socks with what UTV has to offer, next week we are going to have a rerun of the Black Widow, how much will it cost them if she wins, in the EU court.

That will be an interesting case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

I'm taking it sj that they don't have anyone with the guts to go on for a decent debate and therefore make the paper slot shorter!!......:D

There's only so much PR spin you can throw at VB. Maybe he's getting pi€€ed off the length of time too. The paper slot is a walk in the park.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭Good loser

He has to keep a program going Skid.......that's the brief.

A good debater with belief in what he is governing would appear. That's why the bluffers have disappeared from the show, they can't justify what laws they are passing. It is as simple as that.

If you are running for cover from the Electorate the last thing you want is Vincent on your case.

It's hard to defend what you can't stand over and pledged you wouldn't do in the first place again and again.

Before the last election FF gave up on the show.

The current coalition will generally field a panellist - just not to let the arguments go by default.

Most panels are loaded against the government or the status quo; especially when the host is invariably (100%) and virulently on the anti side.

The guests he favours e. g. his 'community' activists, are let talk and talk while the others rarely get to finish their first sentence before being harangued with the likes of 'Are you not ashamed to belong to a Govt that - - - ? Most of his harrasment questions amount to no more than 'Am I (VB) not right?

During the week he came out with the pretty absurd proposition that as the Childcare Act (or something) was misused by Gardai in the case of the two Roma seizures and this came into the public domain there must be loads of other examples we don't hear of - where the Gardai overstep their authority. If the situation was reversed he would be apoplectic with bullying rage over someone claiming this without 'proof' or 'examples' i.e. that there were more than two cases.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

Good loser wrote: »

The guests he favours e. g. his 'community' activists, are let talk and talk while the others rarely get to finish their first sentence before being harangued with the likes of 'Are you not ashamed to belong to a Govt that - - - ? Most of his harrasment questions amount to no more than 'Am I (VB) not right?

They're fair questions - especially when addressed to Labour TDs. They either are or aren't ashamed of the measures that they support. If they can't give a straight answer to a simple question, they deserve to be harangued.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭Good loser

RayM wrote: »
    They're fair questions - especially when addressed to Labour TDs. They either are or aren't ashamed of the measures that they support. If they can't give a straight answer to a simple question, they deserve to be harangued.

To me the question is pretty absurd and pointless. What if the panellist threw the question back by saying 'Are you not ashamed to be asking such childish questions?'

It is also pointless because the questioner should always say 'No I am not ashamed' and then repeat (again) the answer they have already given.

Many shows are tiresome because they consist of no more than negative finger pointing and blame blame. Fionnan stood up to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Good loser wrote: »
    To me the question is pretty absurd and pointless. What if the panellist threw the question back by saying 'Are you not ashamed to be asking such childish questions?'

It is also pointless because the questioner should always say 'No I am not ashamed' and then repeat (again) the answer they have already given.

Many shows are tiresome because they consist of no more than negative finger pointing and blame blame. Fionnan stood up to him.

Not when so many of them stood behind Gilmore like the nodding Churchill dog prior to the general election as he made so many pledges and promises. They're nothing more than a bunch of opportunistic hypocrites.

• Advertisement

When I saw John McGurk on the panel, I thought they were going to have a discussion about credit unions ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

Lets talk about pensions, lets not ZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

MrsD007 wrote: »
    Lets talk about pensions, lets not ZZZZZzzzz

The VB Show is fast becoming the televisual equivalent of rohypnol :(

McGuirk looks like a guy who smokes Woodbines (judging by the state of his fingers).

Maybe it's my telly but Constantine is looking very blue this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,761 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Maybe it's my telly but Constantine is looking very blue this evening.

Like a Smurf.

McGuirk looks like a guy who smokes Woodbines (judging by the state of his fingers).

He's a strange one. He's still only in his 20's but he's got all the mannerisms and sensibilities of a person in their 50's. He's the epitome of somebody who was born middle-aged.

Like a Smurf.
    Don't talk to me about the Smurfs, my seven year old is obsessed with them at the moment :D

• Registered Users Posts: 49,731 ✭✭✭✭coolhull

Like a Smurf.

James Reilly would make a great Grandpa Smurf ;)

He's a strange one. He's still only in his 20's but he's got all the mannerisms and sensibilities of a person in their 50's. He's the epitome of somebody who was born middle-aged.
    His Twitter profile picture is strange to say the least.

db3c7dbc2f09f4c667893ea318b1f955.jpeg

• Advertisement

Don't talk to me about the Smurfs, my seven year old is obsessed with them at the moment :D

Is Papa Smurf is still alive? He was an ould fella when I was watching The Smurfs 30 odd years ago.

coolhull wrote: »
    James Reilly would make a great Grandpa Smurf ;)

Papa Smurf is not as big as James though. Now if Vincent dressed in blue !!

I really want Vinny to ask McGuirk for his opinion on Ballybay Credit Union Newbridge Credit Union.

McGuirk debt

John McGuirk, a former communications director for Libertas, has had a €10,000 judgment registered against him in Stubbs Gazette by Ballybay credit union in Monaghan. McGuirk, an unsuccessful general election candidate last year, said the debt was part of a €25,000 loan he took out to furnish an apartment in Dublin. He said he had consented to the judgment.

http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/news/ireland/article1132270.ece

I really want Vinny to ask McGuirk for his opinion on Ballybay Credit Union Newbridge Credit Union.

http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/news/ireland/article1132270.ece

Someone had borrowed 3.2 million from Newbridge Credit Union !!!
    Can you "credit" that?

Can you "credit" that?

*Gets coat

Fixed ;):D

Can you "credit" that?

The directors of Newbridge Credit Union should be strung up. Credit unions exist to help the small saver. Those people on the Newbridge board must have thought they were a bunch of Gordon Gekko's :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,805 ✭✭✭take everything

Roisin Shortall is peculiar in the sense she's one of the few politicians in this country i think is genuine. Politics need more people like her. Of course, look how Irish politics rewarded her.
    Vincent laughing at that story? WTF.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,317 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

The Sun still thinks page 3 is ok I suppose?

Vinny shouldn't be laughing at the pigs story :eek:

• Advertisement

Roisin Shortall is peculiar in the sense she's one of the few politicians in this country i think is genuine. Politics need more people like her. Of course, look what it did to her.

"Politician" and "genuine" in the same sentence. Well done.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement