Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tonight With Vincent Browne Thread v3.0 (07/04/13 - 08/07/14)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

There was starving children during the boom. It's a sad reality that some parents can't or won't feed their children.

Can't imagine starvation was/is an issue, malnutrition maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Kikin

Vincent: what are you doing about the starving children
    FGer: well in the last 12 months we created 30000 jobs

:confused:

It's too late in the day for my mind to comprehend politicians answers. . Goodnight!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

There was starving children during the boom. It's a sad reality that some parents can't or won't feed their children.

That's why IMO part, if not all, of childrens allowance should be paid in food & children's clothing vouchers

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Busted Flat.

Rather than patronise, perhaps you could back up your post or else admit you're wrong.

I am familiar with some pensioners, where I live, I know their stories, Try living on €230 a week heat your house pay for your reduced electricty allowances try and pay for your lifeline to the outside world, it is called your phone. Add them up and see can you live and stretch the money far enough to suvive. These are people that paid heavy taxes in poorly paid jobs to make the criminal celtic tiger and its pups.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,317 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

I am familiar with some pensioners, where I live, I know their stories, Try living on €230 a week heat your house pay for your reduced electricty allowances try and pay for your lifeline to the outside world, it is called your phone. Add them up and see can you live and stretch the money far enough to suvive. These are people that paid heavy taxes in poorly paid jobs to make the criminal celtic tiger and its pups.

I accept all that but pensioners have not suffered the sort of cuts that are implied and the sort of cuts that younger people have suffered. Thus their income is relatively similar to that of a few years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

That is quite true if a pensioner is living alone in private rented (possibly substandard) accommodation and only has the basic old age pension. But there are lots of very, very comfortable, indeed very wealthy, pensioners (including retired senior public servants, judges, politicians etc), who are doing very very nicely and are keeping their heads down & hiding under the mantle of "poor pensioners".

Callan57 wrote: »
    That is quite true if a pensioner is living alone in private rented (possibly substandard) accommodation and only has the basic old age pension. But there are lots of very, very comfortable, indeed very wealthy, pensioners (including retired senior public servants, judges, politicians etc), who are doing very very nicely and are keeping their heads down & hiding under the mantle of "poor pensioners".

IMO they are not in the same category as the majority of pensioners that live in rural areas. That is why some posters should make the distinction, it is insulting to people that are not retired public servants, bankers, politicians, that are regarded as the Plebs, by the tiger pups.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

That's €42 more than unemployment or illness benefit. If a person with no mortgage or dependants can't survive on €230 per week (€250 during winter months, when you include fuel allowance), they could seriously do with some financial advice. Pensioners, simply because they're more likely to vote, have been on the receiving end of very, very few cuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,071 ✭✭✭Xenophile

Is Vincent Browne a liability to the nation? Yes, I think he is, in his continuous crusade against the Government he is undermining confidence in our leaders and he never brings any sense of optimism about our future prospects.

In his latest tirade he demands to know what conditions if any were available to us before we took to exit the "bailout" without a "safety net". I am glad that nobody would provide him with this info as he would only use it in a negative way.

I am reminded of the night that Fionann Sheahan of Independent Newspapers was on the panel and Vincent started to badger him as to how long the Indo had the Anglo tapes in their possession. The two of them got stroppy and Browne told Sheahan after the show that he would never be on the panel again. Fionnan later wrote an article about this.

Maybe like Michael O'Leary, Vincent Browne will have a Damascus Road conversion and add some sweet desert wine to his water and help to bring a much needed feel good factor to the country at least by acknowledging the positives where they exist and there are many "for those who have eyes to see".

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,343 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Last time I checked we were still borrowing €20 billion a year to keep our finances balanced, I think people like Vincent Browne are needed so that the public are aware of the bad deals being done both in the past and present.

I loved when he wouldn't back down during the ECB press conference when the "Irish" representative tried to silence him...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭omerin

OP read your signature, this is your answer

FGer?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭jetsonx

Xenophile wrote: »
    he never brings any sense of optimism about our future prospects.

Circa. 2006 when cracks were beginning to appear in the economy...Fianna Fail were very optimistic. Look where that got us...

I think Ireland has had enough of shiny-suited men being optimistic to serve their own purposes...

Nobody wants to listen to a doom-and-gloom merchants all the time but people like Vincent Browne serve an excellent purpose to bring a system into check. He was the only journalist with the guts to speak out about Fianna Fail corruption at their own Ard Fheis in 2007. A country needs people like him. We have enough spineless journalists in this country.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,304 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

he is undermining confidence in our leaders

In fairness, they're quite capable of managing that themselves without Vincent Browne's help.

He's a journalist, it's not his job to make us all happy and optimistic, he simply reports things as they are. Anyone who believes that the media are there just to cheer us up really hasn't been paying attention for the last few years.

I will continue to watch Tonight with Vincent Browne.

I recommend all anoraks to watch it the following day on the TV3 player. You will not go to bed annoyed or depressed after watching so much negativity. And so you will have a better night's sleep.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭brian_t

I will continue to watch Tonight with Vincent Browne.

I recommend all anoraks to watch it the following day on the TV3 player. You will not go to bed annoyed or depressed after watching so much negativity. And so you will have a better night's sleep.

I don't like Vincent Brownes style of debate but I think that he does a great job of raising the issues. I go to bed happier knowing that he is keeping tabs on our Government.

I agree that you might be better watching on the TV3 player though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,822 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

as vinb always says inequality is increasing, what more do you need to know

Zaph wrote: »

He's a journalist, it's not his job to make us all happy and optimistic, he simply reports things as they are. Anyone who believes that the media are there just to cheer us up really hasn't been paying attention for the last few years.

Could we have at least one or two out of the whole lot just to cheer us up. Those one or two could be akin to the King's jesters. How wise those Kings were, I suppose it is obvious that we are now not living an age of Wisdom. Hurray for the new jesters, bring them on.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,761 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Why doesn't Enda come on the show and chastise Vincent for being so negative then? :D:D

Could we have at least one or two out of the whole lot just to cheer us up. Those one or two could be akin to the King's jesters. How wise those Kings were, I suppose it is obvious that we are now not living an age of Wisdom. Hurray for the new jesters, bring them on.

Surely people need to get a life if they rely on these type of programmes to cheer them up? Have they not got social lives, etc?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

Tonight's discussion - Our relationship with Britain and President Higgins State visit next year.

Martin Mansergh hasn't been on the programme for ages, I'm surprised he wasn't invited on tonight given the subject being discussed.

MrsD007 wrote: »
    Tonight's discussion - Our relationship with Britain and President Higgins State visit next year.

Martin Mansergh hasn't been on the programme for ages, I'm surprised he wasn't invited on tonight given the subject being discussed.

Do you think Noel Dorr will comment in any constructive way towards the Dublin and Monaghan bombings. The fook he will.

Do you think Noel Dorr will comment in any constructive way towards the Dublin and Monaghan bombings. The fook he will.
    Ann Cadwallader is giving it socks now.

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭jjf1974

Noel knows nothin !

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

We all know there was collusion but this discussion just goes around in circles whenever it's talked about. It's all a bit pointless.

The accent the Queen spoke in, that guy complemented. Lick up?

MrsD007 wrote: »
    Ann Cadwallader is giving it socks now.

Vincent don't mention the var Noel he knows nothing. Up to his eyes in power at the time.

Oh say he has a nice pension.

Ask Noel about the teapot that Charlie Haughey gave Mrs. Thatcher, he loves talking about it :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

That documentary revealed the bombers themselves and all of them are dead now.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement