Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tonight With Vincent Browne Thread v3.0 (07/04/13 - 08/07/14)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,747 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

The SF justification of murder is similar to those British army people who were on that BBC program a couple of weeks ago,
    All very cold and justified murder.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

That little weasel trying to equate the provos with Michael Collins and Padraig Pearse. He's a despicable little s--t but I suppose he's just showing SF's true colours behind all the populist crap they come out with.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Was Adams not just repeating what was in the report?

You may not be aware in those days there was a war going on at the time, maybe you did not know that.

The IRA might and their fellow travellers might like to call it a war but it was terrorist acts carried out by criminals not only in the north but against the Irish state as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,317 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

That little weasel trying to equate the provos with Michael Collins and Padraig Pearse. He's a despicable little s--t but I suppose he's just showing SF's true colours behind all the populist crap they come out with.

I don't support the SF guy, but 500 people were killed during the Rising alone.

• Advertisement

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Was Adams not just repeating what was in the report?

The report said there was a mole in Dundalk Garda station who informed the IRA.

• Registered Users Posts: 49,731 ✭✭✭✭coolhull

If thhe IRA had a duty to murder RUC and British Army,did the same rule not apply to the security forces?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

I suspect Sinn Fein won't be letting Padraig MacLochlainn near live television again any time soon.

I'm sure many Republicans are applauding his comments, but they will be toxic to many people who might have been considering giving them a vote next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,805 ✭✭✭take everything

On a not-unrelated note, Mickey Martin having a great week altogether.
    First neo-gombeen Keaveney, now this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

This faux-sincere treatment of the RUC as a reputable police force by the Irish media is really puzzling. They were the worst of the lot and consigned to the dustbin of history at the first opportunity.

• Advertisement

The solicitor got so long because he speaks so slow and boringly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭Seamo87

Covering up child abuse and defending murderers, that's what this party represents. All along we figured them to just be spoofers with no feasable economic policies.

Disgusting shower of ......

There was lots of terrorists in NI:
    Republicans
    Loyalists
    certain people in the British army
    Certain people in the police force.
    Certain people in the intelligence service
    Maybe even in the British government given they had direct rule.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

coolhull wrote: »
    Adams tries to tell us that the murder of the two RUC men was their own fault, that they were asking for it by not being more safety-conscious. Yeah, they asked to be murdered

Swayed by biased news reports much?

That's not what he was saying at all. He made a number of comments during a long interview and suddenly the news outlets are all over one tiny sentence he uttered, taking him completely out of context.

I'm no shinner, miles from it, but it is a very sad reflection on the media that it portrays such a sensitive and complicated issue with soundbites like this. And it is even a sadder reflection on the level of political debate that the main focus is dictated by editors who are so lazy and cynical that they treat their mandate with such disdain that they are willing to stoop to such a tabloidesque approach to such an important and nuanced subject.

And it makes me sadder still to see the whole political spectrum respond exclusively in the context of that nonsense.

Watching Browne now, he's really changed over the last 15 or so years, maybe being on tv has affected his brain. He seems to be a belligerent curmudgeon at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Busted Flat.

The IRA might and their fellow travellers might like to call it a war but it was terrorist acts carried out by criminals not only in the north but against the Irish state as well.

Blinkers.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

RobertKK wrote: »

I'm not sure it did.

• Registered Users Posts: 49,731 ✭✭✭✭coolhull

You may not be aware in those days there was a war going on at the time, maybe you did not know that.
    Thanks for filling me in with that information, Iwouldn't have known if you hadn't told me :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭Seamo87

Sinn Feinn in government here? hahahahahahahaha never ever, PD's and The Greens for them.

The two men they killed were fellow Irishmen?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,769 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

RobertKK wrote: »

That's the bit i don't get at all.
    They had three named garda officers. All were cleared.
    Yet Smithwicks said that it was probably a garda mole who tipped off the I.R.A.
    That seems lazy and unsubstantiated to me. After 8 years and 12 million euro that's all they could come up with. A probability.
    If the laws of probability were relied on there would be no bookies anywhere.

The whole Tribunal stinks in my opinion.
    It just provided an income for solicitors and a retired judge.

• Advertisement

Blinkers.

You do seem to be wearing some alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Maybe for a little bit of balance, Vinnie might do a show next week about the rampant collusion between the RUC and loyalist paramilitaries.

God that Nigella stuff does my head in.

coolhull wrote: »
    Thanks for filling me in with that information, Iwouldn't have known if you hadn't told me :rolleyes:

I am glad I was some help to your education.

That's the bit i don't get at all.
    They had three named garda officers. All were cleared.
    Yet Smithwicks said that it was probably a garda mole who tipped off the I.R.A.
    That seems lazy and unsubstantiated to me. After 8 years and 12 million euro that's all they could come up with. A probability.
    If the laws of probability were relied on there would be no bookies anywhere.

The whole Tribunal stinks in my opinion.
    It just provided an income for solicitors and a retired judge.

I think if you look closely at the detailed evidence, it points to the fact that the IRA got a tip off about the movements of the two RUC men.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

Seamo87 wrote: »
    Sinn Feinn in government here? hahahahahahahaha never ever, PD's and The Greens for them.

Sinn Fein went from five TDs to fourteen in the last election. They're on the complete opposite trajectory to the two parties you mentioned.

Maybe for a little bit of balance, Vinnie might do a show next week about the rampant collusion between the RUC and loyalist paramilitaries.

Vinney would not have the guts, he never had guts when he was younger.

John Galt himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,873 ✭✭✭amacca

God that Nigella stuff does my head in.

not to worry

it would do anyones head in (if they snorted enough of it)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

usually Sinn Fein are quit clever with their PR/spin - they've played this incident poorly however

it won't affect them in the polls however, it will just mean they won't increase popularity as quickly

Padraig stood up well to the barrage of criticism there - they have some very able young politicians

when the mcguinness/adams generation moves on and the more "respectable" non-IRA affiliated ones take over they may very well become the biggest party in Ireland - that could be 10 years down the line however and only if they avoid going into government in the intervening period (which is very likely after recent events as nobody will want to form a coalition with them)

All in all the usual hypocritical detached sneering classes are getting their predictable digs in, and justifiably so with regard to some of their points, but it changes very very little

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement