Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tonight With Vincent Browne Thread v3.0 (07/04/13 - 08/07/14)

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18 whiskey_bottle

He's a Garda lover - doesn't like any Garda criticism.

I noticed , then again he wont exactly be lonely on this site from what ive read this past while on an off

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Busted Flat.

Could you explain your post in relation to the link you posted. Are you suggesting there is something not right with Mr Butterimer. I think you should explain or withdraw. That is my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

There are far too many "isolated incidents" of Garda incompetence. There is a culture of them protecting themselves at all levels!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,317 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Roger_007 wrote: »
    There are far too many "isolated incidents" of Garda incompetence. There is a culture of them protecting themselves at all levels!

Exactly and I wouldn't like to be at the receiving end of one of these cover ups.

The Gardai investigating themselves has to end.

• Registered Users Posts: 49,731 ✭✭✭✭coolhull

He's a Garda lover - doesn't like any Garda criticism.
    I don't know Harry. I doubt if you know Harry, so why the personal comments? Everyone, including you, are entitled to hold and express opinions but chill out, man :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

why not address the ball rather than the man

unconditional love for AGS helps no one

You're accusing me of ad hominem?

All I did was post a link which happens to be factual and correct.

coolhull wrote: »
    I don't know Harry. I doubt if you know Harry, so why the personal comments? Everyone, including you, are entitled to hold and express opinions but chill out, man :rolleyes:

Some people don't like hearing criticism of the Gardai. I suspect based on his comments that he is one of them. I don't think that is getting personal.

I presume you've the same opinion of Harry's link about the barrister, the champion of the innocent post.

the guards have an undeserved reputation in this country , im not saying they are a lot worse than police forces in other countries but they are incredibly over rated and its mostly by people who never really had any dealings with them and childishly subscribe to the idea of a " superhero " style force

Some people don't like hearing criticism of the Gardai. I suspect based on his comments that he is one of them. I don't think that is getting personal.

I presume you've the same opinion of Harry's link about the barrister.

:D

You're funny.

You're accusing me of ad hominem?

All I did was post a link which happens to be factual and correct.

more pointing to the fact that your dragging up an irrelevance to the point in hand

• Advertisement

more pointing to the fact that your dragging up an irrelevance to the point in hand

Not an irrelevance at all. He gets paid with taxpayers' money.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

the guards have an undeserved reputation in this country , im not saying they are a lot worse than police forces in other countries but they are incredibly over rated and its mostly by people who never really had any dealings with them and childishly subscribe to the idea of a " superhero " style force

Agreed, and the same could be said for the health Service and the education system. We love to over-rate ourselves. It's just self-delusion.:mad:

I don't think anyone here regards them 'super-heroes' but they'll all we've got. Who else can we use?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,747 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

There was a house for sale next to me, a couple came to look at it and I was out around at the time (rural location), the husband said you mightn't like having them as neighbours and the wife is in the Gardai and she is very strict with the rules.
    I wasn't doing anything wrong but was glad she ended up elsewhere as someone else's neighbour :pac:

Roger_007 wrote: »
    Agreed, and the same could be said for the health Service and the education system. We love to over-rate ourselves. It's just self-delusion.:mad:

The secondary education system came out well in a recent study with involved education in other developed nations.
    Ireland number 3 for reading and better than average in maths and science.

RobertKK wrote: »
    The secondary education system came out well in a recent study with involved education in other developed nations.
    Ireland number 3 for reading and better than average in maths and science.

That was more to do with a decline in the standards of other countries rather than a rise in the educational standard in this country.

I presume you've the same opinion of Harry's link about the barrister, the champion of the innocent post.
    Actually, I disagree with Harry Angstrom about the Cork solicitor. Imo, he's doing what the position requires of him. A defence solicitor's duty is to defend his clients regardless of popularity.
    But I bet Harry has disagreed with some of my posts in the past too, and I don't take it to heart
    I think thats a sign of maturity

coolhull wrote: »
    Actually, I disagree with Harry Angstrom about the Cork solicitor. Imo, he's doing what the position requires of him. A defence solicitor's duty is to defend his clients regardless of popularity.
    But I bet Harry has disagreed with some of my posts in the past too, and I don't take it to heart
    I think thats a sign of maturity

I never took it to heart you mad thing? lol. I suggested that the real reason for his comments tonight was his inherent defence of the Gardai and desire to clampdown on any criticism of the force. I would hardly call that taking his comments to heart!

I'm glad you agree with me on the solicitor post - immature thing to post.

I never took it to heart you mad thing? lol. I suggested that the real reason for his comments tonight was his inherent defence of the Gardai and desire to clampdown on any criticism of the force. I would hardly call that taking his comments to heart! because I think he's a Guard.

FYP

FYP

Can I accuse you now of getting personal or is this how this works. Night.

• Advertisement

Some people don't like hearing criticism of the Gardai. I suspect based on his comments that he is one of them.
    Can I accuse you now of getting personal or is this how this works. Night.

You're the one who got personal. You must suffer from short-term memory loss or something.

Between yiz it is, lads :P

I'm outta here!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,071 ✭✭✭Xenophile

Last night's programme was quite informative and constructive. No politicians on the show, this is the way to go; in everybody's interest!

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,773 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Exactly and I wouldn't like to be at the receiving end of one of these cover ups.

The Gardai investigating themselves has to end.

The Garda Commissioners being appointed by the Government should end too.
    They should be appointed by an independent interview board.

I know a few garda members and they would like an independent investigations body too. As they said "if you do nothing wrong, you need to fear nobody".
    The way promotions are done in the garda seems to leave a lot to be desired as its a case of who you know rather than what you know and the brightest don't get the rewards they deserve from my reading of it.

The Garda Commissioners being appointed by the Government should end too.
    They should be appointed by an independent interview board.

I know a few garda members and they would like an independent investigations body too. As they said "if you do nothing wrong, you need to fear nobody".
    The way promotions are done in the garda seems to leave a lot to be desired as its a case of who you know rather than what you know and the brightest don't get the rewards they deserve from my reading of it.

" if you,ve done nothing wrong , you,ve nothing to fear "

if I were a guard id be wary of that simplistic attitude , the guards have stitched innocent people up in the past , they are not beyond framing their own

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Whats with all the religious churchy stuff on the box tonight?

Prime Time on about popular Popery and Vinnie on about the Christian Buggers.

Is it 1979 again?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,805 ✭✭✭take everything

12-15%. :eek:
    Jesus Christ.
    Depressing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Busted Flat.

Answer Vinny, The christian brothers were a haven for peodos. That is why they joined in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,805 ✭✭✭take everything

I love Vinny's love-hate relationship with the God-botherers. :D

• Advertisement

Maeve Lewis talking about religious people going to the courts, but what if Fr Reynolds hadn't?
    The accuser RTE, were prepared to go all the way with him to defend the lies.

Yes there are abusers who do this to the victims, but it has been shown on more than one occasion to work both ways.

Jesus was given a chance to save himself.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement