Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tonight With Vincent Browne Thread v3.0 (07/04/13 - 08/07/14)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

This case tonight reminds me of the way the State refutes everything that may cost them money to the way Hospitals do until they are dragged by the teeth through the Court System and ultimately have to pay without "Admitting Liability"...

Don't forget that the state is not "them". The state is all of us, and all of us will have to pay. Some people regard the state as a miserly rich uncle who won't give us what we feel we are "entitled" to. This case decision leaves the way open for anyone who feels that they were abused at school, either sexually, physically or emotionally, to sue the state. This includes nearly everyone, (including myself who suffered at the tender hands of the "Christian" Brothers.).
    A can of worms has been opened.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Busted Flat.

It's pretty galling to think the State would argue in favour of an abuser.......

The state has been abusing us all for years, and they are getting better at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,749 ✭✭✭✭grey_so_what

Roger_007 wrote: »
    Don't forget that the state is not "them". The state is all of us, and all of us will have to pay. Some people regard the state as a miserly rich uncle who won't give us what we feel we are "entitled" to. This case decision leaves the way open for anyone who feels that they were abused at school, either sexually, physically or emotionally, to sue the state. This includes nearly everyone, (including myself who suffered at the tender hands of the "Christian" Brothers.).

This can has been opened for a long time now Roger.

The state is not all of us, it is a tiny minority who have held us all to ransom by their greed, what's more the golden circle is getting bigger.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,410 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

If the state is liable, they have to cough up. The money will be found.

• Advertisement

If the state is liable, they have to cough up. The money will be found.

You mean, of course, the we will have to cough up!

It's the old story of threatening people with losing the roof over their heads....

You mean, of course, the we will have to cough up!

Yes.

How utterly dreadful that Louise's pain could have been avoided....

No-one seems to have realised her pain listening to the State's lame defense...

I hope that one result of this case will be that the Catholic Church will have no hand act or part in the management of state-funded schools in future. If what happens in schools is the state's responsibility, then no other body can claim any role in the management of schools.

• Advertisement

I hope that one result of this case will be that the Catholic Church will have no hand act or part in the management of state-funded schools in future. If what happens in schools is the state's responsibility, then no other body can claim any role in the management of schools.

I agree with this - the religious orders should have nothing to do with children and education.

Did I hear right when her parents went to the Cannon who was the patron of the school, he told them to get her to wear trousers to make it difficult for the perve to interfere with her.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Never underestimate the heartlessness of our cruel and vile politicians. Take a look at what Michael Noonan did to Bridget McCole and her family. It's galling to think that this prick is now our Minister for Finance.

• Registered Users Posts: 49,731 ✭✭✭✭coolhull

I agree with this - the religious orders should have nothing to do with children and education.
    But you only have to read the letters to the Press to see the number of people complaining about Ruari Quinn's perfectly logical call for less time to be spent teaching religion in schools.
    And remember, these are the people who consistently vote, so they get listened to, Don't expect change to happen any time soon.

coolhull wrote: »
    But you only have to read the letters to the Press to see the number of people complaining about Ruari Quinn's perfectly logical call for less time to be spent teaching religion in schools.
    And remember, these are the people who consistently vote, so they get listened to, Don't expect change to happen any time soon.

Sadly it will be another while before religion is made a private matter and is removed from schools in Ireland.

Bad Bobs, is she for real?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

Some people, sadly, seem to think that "separation of church and state" means, "the church is in charge of inculcating all the 'empty formulae', and state is in charge of picking up the tab for them."

It's hard to feel any sympathy for our "poor" students when they seem to be out on the town practically every night of the week....

It's hard to feel any sympathy for our "poor" students when they seem to be out on the town practically every night of the week....

This week many are finished their exams before restarting next week.

(and not all 18-23 year olds are students).

This week many are finished their exams before restarting next week.

Isn't that grand for them? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Isn't that grand for them? :rolleyes:

I don't really care what they do..The security and crowd management at that place was seriously lacking.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

Obviously not all students are "poor". Some will be on generous "cross-subsidies" from well-off families. Others will be working their way through college. Some may just be drinking themselves deeper into debt. In any event the numbers who "seem" to be out getting plastered isn't necessarily the most scientific measure of the distribution of student income.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭death1234567

The security and crowd management at that place was seriously lacking.
    Pretty sure in the initial investigation stated that there were more than enough security and that the crowd management procedures were in line with standards. The problem was that in typical Irish fashion 1,000 (Drunk) people turn up late when there is ten minutes left to midnight when the offer ends. (Drunk) People at the back of the queue realise they aren't going to make it in time and all hell breaks loose.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭death1234567

Sadly it will be another while before religion is made a private matter and is removed from schools in Ireland.
    We'll all be long dead before this ever happens on this backward rock of a nation.

Pretty sure in the initial investigation stated that there were more than enough security and that the crowd management procedures were in line with standards. The problem was that in typical Irish fashion 1,000 (Drunk) people turn up late when there is ten minutes left to midnight when the offer ends. (Drunk) People at the back of the queue realise they aren't going to make it in time and all hell breaks loose.

The initial investigation..who carried that out? The company itself?

That Mario Rosenstock sketch better be worth the wait. Vinnie has talked it up enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,938 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Ah Damien "Gibberish" English is back to confuse us all.

It always amazes me that men who appear regularly on tv don't shave or trim their uni-brow.

• Registered Users Posts: 49,731 ✭✭✭✭coolhull

It's not the man's fault, probably, but I only understand about half of what he's saying

• Advertisement

Ah Damien "Gibberish" English is back to confuse us all.

I'm expecting him to give us today's livestock prices before the end of the show.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement