Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tonight With Vincent Browne Thread v3.0 (07/04/13 - 08/07/14)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,749 ✭✭✭✭grey_so_what

I'll tell you what's rational. What's rational would be that Shane took his pill once a day, and not taking all of them in one go. That would be rational, and what's completely irrational is his mother blaming his actions on his overdose of antidepressants. That's rational, and irrational, if you feel like having a debate about it.....

Shane would have to be monitored to take his pills Harry, I think (maybe) that as an adult his family lost the control over his taking of medication and the actions of this caused all of this tragedy. How do you monitor grown ups who have no stable home life (be it they living on their own or don't have anyone to monitor their medication) at the end of the day?...

It's a very thin ice to keep giving patients medication hoping they will just take them of their own accord imo unfortunately...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

That stuff about delirium is nonsense, looking at the footage.
    Delirium means acute confusional state (ie disoriented ie out of it wrt time and/or place).
    Don't want to get dragged into commenting on this (families have suffered enough) but there seemed to be a hell of a lot of control/intent involved (judging by the footage/reports).

Don't mean to be picking on this post but i think this does need to be talked about a little bit, since this horrible tragedy there has been a campaign to blame it on the drugs regardless of what the Creane familythought and went as far to overshadow the real victims in this case.

In my eyes Shane is not really one of them, i just hope more can see this and don't believe some of the stuff on the web shifting blame to large multi-national drug companies who have the like of Dr Casey paid off.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

Well looks like tv3 have gone to war with rte on the tragic topic of Seb Creanes murder by Shane Clancy
    Mrs Creane was on tv3 this morning again strongly refuting that the LLS offered them a chance to put their side forward.

IMHO the LLS were wrong to have Shane's family on at all. If Shane Clancy had lived he would have been subject to a trial and so would not have been part of a chat show until after the verdict.

The Creane family lost their chance to seek justice for their loss of one son and the tragic attack on another son.

It was not a tragic spur of the moment incident. Shane went to a shop and bought knives at 3am. He then returned to house and stabbed people. It was premeditated .

The real issue here in my mind was that Shane was given medication but because of the appalling lack of psychiatric services in this country, he was unsupervised. If he had been taken in under medical care the full extent of his mental issue would have been obvious and so correctly treated.

I have immense sympathy for all families in this sad story but blaming meds is not serving any purpose. It would be hugely damaging if this story scared people off medication. Sometimes meds are needed but people taking them need to be supervised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭cofy

During the interview this morning Mrs. Creane read out the reply she got from the Late Late Show when she objected to this topic being discussed. I was appalled by the reply they gave her, words to the effect that it would be unfair for Shanes mother not to have her say and put her side of the story - this only five weeks later. They had originally intended to air the interview the night before Seb's months mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

cofy wrote: »
    During the interview this morning Mrs. Creane read out the reply she got from the Late Late Show when she objected to this topic being discussed. I was appalled by the reply they gave her, words to the effect that it would be unfair for Shanes mother not to have her say and put her side of the story - this only five weeks later. They had originally intended to air the interview the night before Seb's months mind.

Yeah it was horrific I thought . Really turned me off LLS tbh . Total disregard for the other family. The fact that Shane Clancy is dead died not absolve him from blame and neither dies mental illness

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭cofy

Lisha wrote: »
    Yeah it was horrific I thought . Really turned me off LLS tbh . Total disregard for the other family. The fact that Shane Clancy is dead died not absolve him from blame and neither dies mental illness

I do sympathise with Shanes family for what they are going through but a very appropriate quote from Mrs. Creane "Healing for all parties will inevitably be difficult, but no true healing can ever be founded on denial".

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 302 ✭✭JonKelleher

I personally think Stephen Donnelly is the premier politician operating in Ireland at the minute, and will make a great Taoiseach!

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭dublin99

The way the LLS treated the Creanes was disgraceful. The interview with Shane's mother was all geared for rating - it was all a set up - even that so called medical "expert" Michael Corry was the partner of Ryan Tubridy's aunt Aine Tubridy. RTE should be ashamed!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,396 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

dublin99 wrote: »
    The way the LLS treated the Creanes was disgraceful. The interview with Shane's mother was all geared for rating - it was all a set up - even that so called medical "expert" Michael Corry was the partner of Ryan Tubridy's aunt Aine Tubridy. RTE should be ashamed!

Why people keep watching it week in week out, I'll never know.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Ivana Bacik

This should be interesting :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Ironic that a "senator" elected from a tiny microscopic section of society should be lecturing us.
    Congrats to all those who voted to retain the rotten Seanad.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,806 ✭✭✭take everything

The legal lad at the end raising his glass to Vinny.

I could well imagine this guy, Vinny and Peter Matthews going on the tear together.

Most of the judiciary seem to think that we're still part of The Empire. The foundation of our State should have seen an end to the ridiculous wigs and gowns that these self-absorbed twats seem to think is imperative towards administering justice.

No need for that sort of rubbish in a proper republic, but this country has never been a proper republic.

They're all in agreement tonight.

Where's the stuff about Frank Flannery. FFS.

They're all in agreement tonight.

Where's the stuff about Frank Flannery. FFS.

Conspicuous by its absence.....

Perhaps the "common good" in our Constitution might be a good reason towards bringing a case against the common good of a Home Tax? It would be interesting to see if somebody took a test case against it........

Frank Flannery is a fcuking disgrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

My Sky box EPG informs me I'm watching "Tonight with Sam Smyth". Vinnie is just filling in for Sam, evidently.

• Registered Users Posts: 49,731 ✭✭✭✭coolhull

Perhaps the "common good" in our Constitution might be a good reason towards bringing a case against the common good of a Home Tax? It would be interesting to see if somebody took a test case against it........
    Vinnie said it can cost 200,000e to take a case to the Supreme Court.
    But if you want to go ahead, Harry, I'm behind you...a long way behind :D

coolhull wrote: »
    Vinnie said it can cost 200,000e to take a case to the Supreme Court.
    But if you want to go ahead, Harry, I'm behind you...a long way behind :D

All I need is for 200,000 people to give me a euro each ;):D

• Advertisement

Christine Buckley R.I.P ......A really great lady, a hero of our times

I'm waiting for John Drennan to throw in a few metaphors and similes. The man can't utter a sentence without them.

Why does John Drennan always look like he's been dragged through a hedge backwards after a feed of pints.

Well done John. I reckon he was just about to use a metaphorical reference to Greek mythology before Vinnie interjected to an ad break.

I have to say I love John's columns in the Sindo. Always witty and well-researched

So that's what Thom Yorke is doing nowadays. :pac:

"Like buses"

Well done John, you completely predictable hack.

"Like buses"

Well done John, you completely predictable hack.

:D
    Poor oul' John.
    He's not the worst.

:D
    Poor oul' John.
    He's not the worst.

Not the best, either ;)

• Advertisement

The show has gone off the boil a bit IMO.
    *remnisces for snarling-Lenihan heyday.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement