Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tonight With Vincent Browne Thread v3.0 (07/04/13 - 08/07/14)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

I'm not so sure lavender is the colour in season for men....

Looks like something you'd get in a car boot sale........about 3 weeks after Christmas!

(Oh Oh......must go to paint the Porche.)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Busted Flat.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=4&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CDsQFjAD&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.politico.ie%2Findex.php%3Foption%3Dcom_content%26view%3Darticle%26id%3D5712%3Athe-garda-scandals-the-evidence-noonan-ignores&ei=frZNU4m3FKKN7Qba4YHYBg&usg=AFQjCNG5be0aRUJ6Mr4NqxUNxZn5aVbUvQ

The gardai from the IS were indeed impressive and skilled at their job. Two had been involved in the Sallins mail train case. Three of the eight Gerard 0 Carroll, Joseph Shelly and P.J. Browne - would later take stateements in the Kerry Babies case.

Within hours of making statements the four Billyhill suspects were mediically examined. Murtagh and Markey exhibited depression and anxiety but little physical evidence of abuse. Marrkey's elbow was tender, but that was about all. Duffy's left cheek was bruised, he had an abrasion on his

chest. Duffy had facial bruising, scra tches and bruises on lUs back and lim bs. The injuries - if they could be so described - were very minor.

The confessions had odd features.

For instance, the suspects allegedly identified the petrol can, although it had been burned in a devastating fire. They admitted cutting the telephone wire - but didn't explain how it was cut, something which the gardai didn't know and might have been expected to ask and which the suspects might have been expected to answer if they were making voluntary confessions.

After ten days of a trial at the Special Criminal Court in January 1982 the statements were ruled innadmissible. The medical evidence raised a reasonable doubt in the 'minds of the judges that two of the accused had been roughed up. The same gardai had questioned the other two and there was a similar pattern - denials at first and) then admissions. All four were freed, the charges dismissed.

Apart from the confessions the state had no evidence against the accused. The state still, in fact, had no convincing evidence that a crime had been committed.

• Registered Users Posts: 49,731 ✭✭✭✭coolhull

At this stage it sounds like you couldn't let Nell out unaccompanied....:(

Nell is 70 now, so I'd give her a good bit of leeway. She did great work in the early years of the Women's Rights Movements in Ireland.
    Still sharper than most of the politicians VB usually has on the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,749 ✭✭✭✭grey_so_what

coolhull wrote: »
    Nell is 70 now, so I'd give her a good bit of leeway. She did great work in the early years of the Women's Rights Movements in Ireland.

I agree coolhull, she was on the ball in her day...

After seeing her recently I thought she was quite a sad person.

It changed my idea of her as "a terrier" in the field....:(

I wonder how much Vincent knows about the GAA.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

How does one become a "Communications Consultant"? :confused:

I suppose I could take out an ad in the Golden Pages and call myself a "Communications Consultant", and nobody could challenge me on my qualifications.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

And it sounds as if that piece had been recorded already. TV3 obviously remember Nell's Newstalk debacle.

Sometimes it's recorded at ten. I was told!

Makes sense I suppose with the distinct break at the Paper Review, with the exit of up to four guests and entrance of two paper reviewers...

How does one become a "Communications Consultant"?

I suppose I could take out an ad in the Golden Pages and call myself a "Communications Consultant", and nobody could challenge me on my qualifications.....

You communicate yourself very well Harry....:)

Take a bow.....:D

(The role itself is an Internship.....sorry....:( - like the rest of us......)...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,806 ✭✭✭take everything

God that McGurk tool is deadeningly predictable. Couldn't he surprise us just once by not parroting his rigid worldview.

tampopo wrote: »
    Sometimes it's recorded at ten. I was told!

Makes sense I suppose with the distinct break at the Paper Review, with the exit of up to four guests and entrance of two paper reviewers...
    Good point. Vinnie doesn't move from his seat, neither do the earlier guests, usually no ads, yet straightaway there's a whole new panel....

• Advertisement

I'd love to see Nell lay in to Vinny some night.
    Just try banning HER Vinny.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

I'd love to see Nell lay in to Vinny some night.
    Just try banning HER Vinny.

Just don't have her on anymore, painful to listen to.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

God that McGurk tool is deadeningly predictable. Couldn't he surprise us just once by not parroting his rigid worldview.

He's the resident right-wing Rent-a-Gob.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

Good point. Vinnie doesn't move from his seat, neither do the earlier guests, usually no ads, yet straightaway there's a whole new panel....

I've wondered about that, too. (Low-level "wondering", i.e. the type where you don't actually do a stick about it.) One has visions of a James Bond ejector seat getting rid of the first lot of guests, and a Thunderbirds-type chute landing the new lot in their seats, just slightly off camera.

It's not impossible, though. The panel is out-of-shot while Vinnie does his initial look at the papers (in fact it's mostly just direct shots of the paper images, as I recall, intercut with small bits of VB). They'd have to be very sharp, though...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

How does one become a "Communications Consultant"? :confused:
    I'd study the Irish Pictorial Weekly "Terry Prone" sketches religiously, myself, and then go forth and do likewise.

I'm sure there are various "formal" qualification that might apply. Essentially it comes down to "is prepared to shovel BS for money (and someone is prepared to give them same)".

The same would apply to the HR/employment idiot they had on SO'R this morning, who just seemed to be there to vent his own smug, complacent, myopic and remarkably foul-mouthed (for that time of the day on Radio Quiet!) spleen.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

The Kerry Babies was about as bad as it gets as regards investigations in this country....

What gets me is that Gerry O'Carroll has been rolled out by the media over the years to pass comment on various issues, as though he were a person of authority on those
    particular subjects. I had not realised that he was a member of the 'elite' squad who had been brought down from Dublin to carry out their investigations into the Kerry babies case. The latest from him is that he wants the remains of the two babies exhumed so that further tests may be carried out on them, as, apparently, he still believes in the theory that Joanne Hayes gave birth to both. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 16,560 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

It was an interesting topic, remember when it happened but I was only a kid so didn't know the full story, Ireland was a very backward country back then.

Nell Mac is impossible to listen to though, pure rambling out of her last night.

Vincent is on his 'equality' hobbyhorse again.........stand by for his crazy suggestions!

It was an interesting topic, remember when it happened but I was only a kid so didn't know the full story, Ireland was a very backward country back then.

Nell Mac is impossible to listen to though, pure rambling out of her last night.

If you think she is bad, I heard the promo and he has the male version on bow tie and all.

Ahh, Barry Cowen....Wonder how's his brother getting on?

Still trying to live on his pension of 3,000e a week?

Must be tough on him.....

• Advertisement

This is like Expose for men....

Easter yellow shirt?...

And

Poverty preaching....

Vinny looks like he's just done a stats night course and can't resist showing off his skillz

Roger_007 wrote: »
    Vincent is on his 'equality' hobbyhorse again.........stand by for his crazy suggestions!

In fairness the disparity between rich and poor has grown.

I feel a bit ill watching SF grinning after his acquittal...

When the law is an ass it's time to change it...

The right verdict but..:(

When the law is an ass it's time to change it...

The right verdict but..:(

I'd love to see the buffoon's CV.

Ahh, Barry Cowen....Wonder how's his brother getting on?

Still trying to live on his pension of 3,000e a week?

Must be tough on him.....

Try living in the present, not making excuses but when will we move on, or will we be staying in the past. The government we elected 2011 to form our future and expectations in life, but what do we hear about our future, blame the people before, when is this blame game going to stop. Someone should stand up and say you clowns got elected to do the job you claimed you were capable of doing, News, you have made excuses for why you can't.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Has she had a few ?

I always find it disturbing seeing well-heeled celebs talking about poverty!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

His general demeanour reminds me of John Gilligan.

• Advertisement

Why have Mary Coughlin reviewing the papers? I mean, she's ok, but why not Richie Kavanagh or Louis Walsh?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement