Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tonight With Vincent Browne Thread v3.0 (07/04/13 - 08/07/14)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

I got a pretty good education from The Christian Brothers, and so did many others. For many years, the State abrogated its responsibility towards education and left it in the hands of the religious, for financial reasons as much as anything else. There are many people out there who would have been deprived of a decent education if it wasn't for the Christian Brothers and nuns, but it's not fashionable to say that any more.

I don't disagree that the Christian Brothers and nuns provided people with a decent education, but their motivation wasn't entirely altruistic. It was very much about power and indoctrination. If the churches and religious orders hadn't been so willing to take on the burden of running the country's schools, the State would most likely have had no choice but to do so.

The majority of Irish people nowadays aren't practicing Catholics. There is no longer any justification for the Catholic Church's involvement in education. The church has the resources to provide religious education to those who want it, outside of a publicly funded system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

More like no church should want to be involved in state education. Let Minister Quinn and his agnostic buddies in government, provide, fund, manage and resource the entire education system and infrastructure. I'm sure the churches have better things to be doing with their resources. Lets see how far replacing catholic/christian ideology with labour ideology gets us !!

How about replacing Catholic/Christian ideology with a completely secular system - one with no silly superstitions or imaginary gods?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Your point didn't provide any balance to the current discussion on religion in schools.

You must have been asleep then.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Busted Flat.

Happyman42 wrote: »
    You should always leave it to others to judge the quality of your education, you are too involved. ;)

My treatment at the hands of the so called christian brothers in churchtown could not be called an education. The most horrible time I spent in education, kids who's parents were not wealthy were treated like second class. The likes of those sick and sorry people should not be allowed near kids. I do not like Mr Quinn but if he can put these uneducated people out of the education system then his tenure in office will be worth while.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

I got a pretty good education from The Christian Brothers, and so did many others. For many years, the State abrogated its responsibility towards education and left it in the hands of the religious, for financial reasons as much as anything else. There are many people out there who would have been deprived of a decent education if it wasn't for the Christian Brothers and nuns, but it's not fashionable to say that any more.

The "religous" did everything in their power to get & keep their grip on education & health since the foundation of the state & even before.
    It shouldn't be forgotten that those making the decisiosn in govt depts were products of their indoctrinating & as the Jesuits (I think it was) were proud to boast "give me the child & I'll show you the man". When indoctrination is most successful it's victims are totally blind to it & incapeable of questioning it.

• Advertisement

Callan57 wrote: »
    The "religous" did everything in their power to get & keep their grip on education & health since the foundation of the state & even before.
    It shouldn't be forgotten that those making the decisiosn in govt depts were products of their indoctrinating & as the Jesuits (I think it was) were proud to boast "give me the child & I'll show you the man". When indoctrination is most successful it's victims are totally blind to it & incapeable of questioning it.

Jaysus, with all this "indoctrination" and victimhood, it's amazing that people are able to function at all, considering a sizeable portion of the population received an education from the nuns and Christian Brothers, and have also availed of health services provided for by the religious orders in the past.

Jaysus, with all this "indoctrination" and victimhood, it's amazing that people are able to function at all, considering a sizeable portion of the population received an education from the nuns and Christian Brothers, and have also availed of health services provided for by the religious orders in the past.

... just as long as they didn't look for any service that didn't sit with the "Catholic ethos" ... in other words question anything.
    And of course we have all the women so glad they were treated in a Catholic hosp in Drogheda :rolleyes: Oh yea we are so fortunate to have thers paragons of virtue aren't we

Callan57 wrote: »
    ... just as long as they didn't look for any service that didn't sit with the "Catholic ethos" ... in other words question anything.
    And of course we have all the women so glad they were treated in a Catholic hosp in Drogheda :rolleyes: Oh yea we are so fortunate to have thers paragons of virtue aren't we

I wasn't aware that Dr. Michael Neary had taken holy orders. That's a new one on me.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

I wasn't aware that Dr. Michael Neary had taken holy orders. That's a new one on me.

Dr Neary DID take holy orders.....he was employed by a religious order, the Medical Missionarys. He had to comply with the 'ethos' of that organisation!

Roger_007 wrote: »
    Dr Neary DID take holy orders.....he was employed by a religious order, the Medical Missionarys. He had to comply with the 'ethos' of that organisation!

And presumably I'm to infer from that information that his widespread practice of caesarian hysterectomies was a policy handed down to him from the Medical Missionaries??

• Advertisement

And presumably I'm to infer from that information that his widespread practice of caesarian hysterectomies was a policy handed down to him from the Medical Missionaries??

The policy of contempt for women certainly was and is

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭death1234567

RayM wrote: »
    their motivation wasn't entirely altruistic. It was very much only about power and indoctrination.

FYP.

This is the same Christian brothers who beat my, left handed, father until he wrote with his right hand. Evil scum.

It beggars belief that The Greens did sweet feck all during their four years in Government to try to fix the broken and cracked pipes which sees 40% of our water supply being wasted. Eamon Ryan hasn't got a leg to stand on, the sanctimonious prig.

It beggars belief that The Greens did sweet feck all during their four years in Government to try to fix the broken and cracked pipes which sees 40% of our water supply being wasted. Eamon Ryan hasn't got a leg to stand on, the sanctimonious prig.

Eamon Ryan seems to be popping up all over the place these days.....would it be anything to do with his being a candidate for the Euro elections?

• Registered Users Posts: 49,731 ✭✭✭✭coolhull

Eamon Ryan seems to be popping up all over the place these days.....would it be anything to do with his being a candidate for the Euro elections?
    What a terrible thing to say :D

They should have got Duncan Stewart in tonight. He'd probably spend the first twenty minutes arguing with Vinnie about how much time he'd give him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭tomdempsey200

I only figured out the other day why they didn't fit a meter outside my house

all the neighbours got one

3 years before they come back

The guy called ryan is named as the leader of the Continuity Green party, I thought they had gone away. Has he denied about his involvement in the last outfit.

Damien is such an idiot.

They should have got Duncan Stewart in tonight. He'd probably spend the first twenty minutes arguing with Vinnie about how much time he'd give him.

Or trying to explain about his condition when he fell out of the tree.

• Advertisement

Or trying to explain about his condition when he fell out of the tree.

Didn't he fall down a hole when he was in Chernobyl? He's a latter day Six Million Dollar Man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Damien is such an idiot.

It's like standing outside a mart listening to him at times.

I prefer the other Joan Collins!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 48 marc_faber

Damien is such an idiot.

completley oblivious to his obvious limitations however

easy to see why he chose ( or was chosen ) politics

A Jew System? That smacks of anti-Semitism.......

Didn't he fall down a hole when he was in Chernobyl? He's a latter day Six Million Dollar Man.

Its strong stuff out there, not like the stuff in Old Bawn.

Strange how Labour are only kicking up a fuss about it now, only a month before the local elections with Labour at 6% in the opinion polls....

Strange how Labour are only kicking up a fuss about it now, only a month before the local elections with Labour at 6% in the opinion polls....

It's called grabbing at straws when you are in quick sand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭tomdempsey200

if I can finish the point..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49,731 ✭✭✭✭coolhull

Damien should just throw up his hands and admit, like Manuel, ''I know nooothing''

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement