Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tonight With Vincent Browne Thread v3.0 (07/04/13 - 08/07/14)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

vicwatson wrote: »
    UTV Radio?? LOL

Q102 is owned by UTV Radio.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭Hotale.com

Q102 is owned by UTV Radio.

Nice username ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Woodville56

Completely off-topic here folks (hope the Mod is in an indulgent mood tonight) but Newstalk's Francesca Comyn on the newspapers review now is quite a hottie methinks !

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭huberto

Who's that woman in the blue dress?

• Registered Users Posts: 49,731 ✭✭✭✭coolhull

Completely off-topic here folks (hope the Mod is in an indulgent mood tonight) but Newstalk's Francesca Comyn on the newspapers review now is quite a hottie methinks !
    and after the ads, if you don't blink, you might get another glimpse of Vinnie too :D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Last ad break lasted 6 minutes and 4 seconds.

Remainder of programme that followed it - 2 minutes 9 seconds.

I had to do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Woodville56

huberto wrote: »
    Who's that woman in the blue dress?

Newstalk"s Court Reporter Francesca Comyn- why u ask huberto ?

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭huberto

She's got my full attention!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Lapin wrote: »
    Last ad break lasted 6 minutes and 4 seconds.

Remainder of programme that followed it - 2 minutes 9 seconds.

I had to do it.

He's gone as bad as Duffy.

Edit: No. That's not possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

Vincent forgets that three parties could form the next government.

Which ones? There's not going to be another "rainbow", there'll be four parties and lots of self-serving indo shrapnel. (Or maybe three proper planets, and Labour relegated to Ceres-like status.)

You have a natural "republican" coalition. You have a natural "left" coalition. Both of those have the "no, nay, never" problem of including SF. You have their opposites in each case. Then you have the two "nothing in common whatsoever" possibilities. Every possibility has either the problem of making no ideological sense, which adding another party to won't help with, or of not getting "over the line", which adding a few independents seems unlikely to fix.

• Advertisement

Yet in Northern Ireland Sinn Fein and the Unionists formed a type of coalition. Hardly natural bedfellows. It always amazes me that parties can put aside their 'principles' when there's an opportunity to get their arses into a ministerial Merc.Ideological sense doesn't enter the equation.

coolhull wrote: »
    Yet in Northern Ireland Sinn Fein and the Unionists formed a type of coalition.
    Bear in that that's a "forced" coalition. "Please, noooo, don't force me into a higher salary and a position of power, helllllp!"
    It always amazes me that parties can put aside their 'principles' when there's an opportunity to get their arses into a ministerial Merc.Ideological sense doesn't enter the equation.

It enters into it, but it's not necessarily a dealbreaker.

If SF hold the "balance of power" between FG and FF next time, bet any money you like it'll be FF+SF. Play up the nationalist mood music, yell "down in front" to the rightist "wing" of the party (i.e., the ones that have been in charge since... forever). To the point that a FF+SF minority is more likely than a FG+SF majority, if FF and FG are otherwise relatively close in seats.

SF+Lab won't have the numbers any foreseeable time in the future. FF+Lab won't next time, at any rate, though in theory it might be more compatible with left-leaning shrapnel than FG+Lab, which is looking less and less likely to buck the historical trend and "repeat".

FF+FG is the great "should happen, but can't as it'd give the whole game away".

That is, I think, literally every possibility.

Faith formation sounds like something out of Nazi Germany in the 1930s.

To my mind, it calls up Pink Floyd videos. Wide-eyed young kids go into the sausage machine, good little [insert denomination here] initiands come out. *shudder*

Twomey's "not enough indoctrination" stuff is startling and chilling. Though I very much agree with his conclusion! Do it in the parish church. See how well it works when it's meaningfully "opt-in".

Sorry for zombifying this, only just watching this ep now. Tivo terror!

The chances of SF and FF securing enough seats in the near future to form a govt. are very slim, bearing in mind that SF voters are unlikely to give FF candidates a high preference. And vice-versa.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

alaimacerc wrote: »
    To my mind, it calls up Pink Floyd videos. Wide-eyed young kids go into the sausage machine, good little [insert denomination here] initiands come out. *shudder*

Twomey's "not enough indoctrination" stuff is startling and chilling. Though I very much agree with his conclusion! Do it in the parish church. See how well it works when it's meaningfully "opt-in".

Sorry for zombifying this, only just watching this ep now. Tivo terror!

As long as Twomey is around it's very hard to argue that the dinoaur is extinct. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Yet in Northern Ireland Sinn Fein and the Unionists formed a type of coalition. Hardly natural bedfellows. It always amazes me that parties can put aside their 'principles' when there's an opportunity to get their arses into a ministerial Merc.Ideological sense doesn't enter the equation.

corrib_natural_gas.jpg

February 2007:

"The PDs and Fianna Fáil…they live on another planet. It’s called Planet Bertie. And Planet Bertie is a very strange place… On Planet Bertie you can sign blank cheques – because everyone does it, apparently. On Planet Bertie you can spend the average industrial wage on make-up. On Planet Bertie you can get loans from people – that you don’t have to pay back. On Planet Bertie you can save €50,000 – without a bank account. And on Planet Bertie, climate change doesn’t exist. All that stuff is made up by Trevor Sargent. On Planet Bertie there’s a strange cult called Fianna Fáil, a type of religion without vision or values; and every year in August they go on their annual pilgrimage to one of their sacred sites, the tent at the Galway races, where they pay homage to their gods and the gods bestow them with gifts for doing their bidding. Oh yes, it’s a strange place Planet Bertie. So strange and so alien to our sensibilities, that it’s a planet that we Greens would like to avoid. For let there be no doubt, we want Fianna Fáil and the PDs out of Government. ”

A few months later......

Media,16841,en.jpg

The chances of SF and FF securing enough seats in the near future to form a govt. are very slim, bearing in mind that SF voters are unlikely to give FF candidates a high preference. And vice-versa.

That doesn't really matter; as long as they're getting their transfers from somewhere, it doesn't have to be from each other. FF could be getting them from FG, and SF could be getting them from Labour, say. No, scratch that, that would imply any statistically significant number of people giving Labour a high preference. From indies, say.

I'm not sure how true this is, either. Quite a few people of the Wolfe Tones Tendency around these parts seem to drift from one of these to the other. Unless they're doing so in a truly Orwellian fashion where having switched from one to the other, they refuse to give their former allegiance any transfer at all...

Nonetheless I hope you're right. I think it'd be a toxic combination of two pretty separately toxic parties...

alaimacerc wrote: »
    That doesn't really matter; as long as they're getting their transfers from somewhere, it doesn't have to be from each other. FF could be getting them from FG, and SF could be getting them from Labour, say. No, scratch that, that would imply any statistically significant number of people giving Labour a high preference. From indies, say.

I'm not sure how true this is, either. Quite a few people of the Wolfe Tones Tendency around these parts seem to drift from one of these to the other. Unless they're doing so in a truly Orwellian fashion where having switched from one to the other, they refuse to give their former allegiance any transfer at all...

Nonetheless I hope you're right. I think it'd be a toxic combination of two pretty separately toxic parties...

Well-thought -out points, almeirac. I honestly don't believe that SF are going to do anywhere near as well as the polls say. Well, maybe in the local elections.But in my area, the South-East, I find that those people who support the Shinners are mostly young men who have never, and probably never will, see the inside of a polling booth in their lives. And the older experienced voter will say "a plague on all their houses". I feel its going to be the Year of the Independent.
    What that says about the cynicism about all the political parties remains to be seen.
    Interesting political times ahead, I'd say. .

• Registered Users Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

A number of parties and independents formed a government in 1948 and it managed to last three years. So multi party governments aren't impossible. That said, the prospect of a multi party government and the instability it would bring, may indeed have an influence on voting preferences. They may change their vote back to the old reliables of FF and FG, ensuring a more traditional 'stable' government.

Most non-aligned voters went for the govt. parties at the last election, believing they would bring us a new, transparent kind of politics. Yeah, right!
    But people won't fall for that again.
    "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me"
    Yes the Coalition of 48-51 was made up of smaller parties (but not independent individuals like Ming or Mick W.)
    Next time, for FF and SF to make up a majority even with Independent support would mean at least a gain of 20 seats each (not going to happen) plus support of about 10 Independents. Realistically, the only sensible govt make-up would be a FG-FF Coalition, but having experienced both parties in the part few years, that's not going to either.
    So it makes for an interesting post-election few weeks next time!

• Advertisement

Francesca Comyn back on again tonight. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

Kieran Allen is a typical champion of the poor........while enjoying his 6 figure salary at the expense of the taxpayer.:eek:

Roger_007 wrote: »
    Kieran Allen is a typical champion of the poor........while enjoying his 6 figure salary at the expense of the taxpayer.:eek:

He's damn right though.

It's tortuous listening to Vinnie trying to explain anything!

Did he rehearse this at all ?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

It's tortuous listening to Vinnie trying to explain anything!

Yeah, I'd read each screen before he'd even spluttered out the first point.

Who does he thinks listens to the show? Most viewers would be aware of the timeline of events.

Lapin wrote: »
    Did he rehearse this at all ?

I wouldn't think he rehearses anything. I'd say he just turns up for the program an hour beforehand and says to his minions "OK who have we tonight and what are we talking about?". At least that's the way it comes across!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Busted Flat.

Fookin Taxi drivers, they are to blame.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

In what way does a person's salary invalidate their opinions?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

The guy with the sword should've waited until next week when they were all back there, FFS. At least he could have done The State some service then.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement