Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tonight With Vincent Browne Thread v3.0 (07/04/13 - 08/07/14)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,749 ✭✭✭✭grey_so_what

Lapin wrote: »
    The very fact that religion was among the key dividing issues placed a duty on church leaders on all sides to play an important role in resolving the conflict between communities.

Saying that someone 'meant well' is something you apply to one who swerves to avoid running over your neighbours cat but still squashes poor tiddles.

Alec Reid risked his life in his efforts to get both sides of the conflict in the North just to sit around a table and talk to each other.

Obviously his position as a priest gave him a pltform to do this. but I believe he would have done as much regardless of his occupation.

Well said Lapin.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Lapin wrote: »
    With all due respect Hotmail, this comment portrays a serious lack of understanding and contradicts itself.

The very fact that religion was among the key dividing issues placed a duty on church leaders on all sides to play an important role in resolving the conflict between communities.

As I said, I'm not religious, but I acknowledge the leadership played by the churches during the many political vacuums in northern politics in the last half century.

Saying that someone 'meant well' is something you apply to one who swerves to avoid running over your neighbours cat but still squashes poor tiddles.

Alec Reid risked his life in his efforts to get both sides of the conflict in the North just to sit around a table and talk to each other.

Obviously his position as a priest gave him a pltform to do this. but I believe he would have done as much regardless of his occupation.

The position of the Church in regard to Irish independence and then partition has always been at best ambiguous.

A Catholic priest was responsible for the Claudy Bombing which killed 9 people and it was in part covered up by the Catholic hierarchy.

My view is that religious leaders of all persuasions should stay out of the situation in the North and vast secularism should be promoted in the hope of ending silly sectarian divisions.

Well said Lapin.

Oh thanking every post isn't enough! lol

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Did Sam Smyth just say Michael Carruth?? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 82,616 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Still to mention of how much per litre we will pay. This xyz quota system is no good at all as a guide if we don't know how much the additional cost will be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,806 ✭✭✭take everything

Mary is incredible.

• Registered Users Posts: 49,731 ✭✭✭✭coolhull

I cant wait for Labour canvassers to knock on my door. Hasn't happened yet, maybe they're too sh*tty

Nobody seems to grasp the fact that they told us last week that there would be a standing charge of €50 and that average water tax bills would be €240. Today, eejit Enda comes out and tells us that the standing charge has been rescinded but average bills will still be €240. WTF is that all about???

Mary is incredible.

It seems like she puts a lot of thought into whether her hair falls to the left or right hand side of her face....

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Marcella Corcoran-Kennedy TD - longest name in the dail(?), largest amount of bull**** in the dail too by the sounds of it.

I hate Phil Hogan, really !, even before the water charges, hate him !

• Advertisement

Irish Water is nothing more than a gravy-train quango for buddies of Fine Gael. The whole thing is a joke.

M

Commerical water charges in Fingal CC are €1.02 per 1000 litres, will the public pay this or more than this?

http://www.fingalcoco.ie/business-and-economy/business-charges/commercial-water-charges/

TV3 poll - "is the average water charge of €240.00 fair"?

What an absolutely ridiculous flamin' question.

So we just forget about the argument as to why we have this extra tax in the first place?? straight to the fairness of the charge eh!

coolhull wrote: »
    I cant wait for Labour canvassers to knock on my door. Hasn't happened yet, maybe they're too sh*tty

I'm waiting for them to knock as well, but all they're doing is shoving leaflets through my letterbox. Reminds me of Fianna Fáil prior to the 2011 General Election.

Mary is incredible.

Looks like something from Joe 90 if you remember that?:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Busted Flat.

vicwatson wrote: »
    TV3 poll - "is the average water charge of €240.00 fair"?

What an absolutely ridiculous flamin' question.

So we just forget about the argument as to why we have this extra tax in the first place?? straight to the fairness of the charge eh!

Is there VAT on top of this.

I'm waiting for them to knock as well, but all they're doing is shoving leaflets through my letterbox. Reminds me of Fianna Fáil prior to the 2011 General Election.

They aren't even brave enough to shove them in my letterbox, they are getting the poor postman to do it by posting me their leaflets :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,806 ✭✭✭take everything

Where's Vinny

Looks like something from Joe 90 if you remember that?:)

She could be Lady Penelope's cousin ;)

M

Is there VAT on top of this.

There will have to be I would imagine, EU law will come down on them otherwise. Will probably also stick a 1% carbon levy on it too if they treatment plant doesn't have an A energy rating.

• Advertisement

This is NOT about conservation of water or about the issue of wasting water - this is purely a tax based on the what the troika have told this government to do - simples.

Not one Irish Government have EVER been concerned about water being wasted, water conservation OR investing in fixing the damn leaks in the system !

I'm with RBB on this one

Lawyers and solicitors are the same thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,199 ✭✭✭Good loser

Richard wants to charge 0.5 of 1% on all these 'financial transactions' to raise €500m. I'm sure I've heard him commit that same money to every single Govt measure he opposes or, I should say, every single measure the Govt proposes - because he opposes them all. He should join FF.

This wan (Marcella Corcoran-Kennedy) is like a recording of Hogan - and a broken one at that.

One word I would like to see banned coming from a politician's mouth is disingenuous.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Good loser wrote: »
    Richard wants to charge 0.5 of 1% on all these 'financial transactions' to raise €500m. I'm sure I've heard him commit that same money to every single Govt measure he opposes or, I should say, every single measure the Govt proposes - because he opposes them all. He should join FF.

Its 0.1%. Do you not think he is right on this issue tho? Makes sense to me instead of imposing more hardship on people.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Marcella Corcoran-Kennedy TD - longest name in the dail(?), largest amount of bull**** in the dail too by the sounds of it.

I hate Phil Hogan, really !, even before the water charges, hate him !

Never trusted him, but after watching him in the Dáil today and seeing him interviewed on the Six One News earlier with the constant grin on his face, I'll never believe another word that comes out of his mouth.

His displays of cronyism and stroke politics are up there with anything the last shower were guilty of.

Where's Vinny

Martial arts classes for self defence ahead of tomorrow night's People's debate free for all.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Same here. Funny enough, the only ones to knock were FF. I told them I never voted FF and I never will.

• Advertisement

Fantastic post I read today -
    ryan101

Adverts | Friends
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Billy86 View Post
    If Liam Lawlor were walking the streets today, I personally would be petrified!
    Good grief, no harm to you, but have you got your head in the sand . . .they haven't gone away you know.

There are at least tens of dozens of Liam Lawlors and worse walking the streets today.

As every month goes by in this country since the 80's there is a new corruption scandal

The population goes "isn't dat terrible, would you look at dat"

Next month the same thing happens . . . . all over again.

Month in, month out, year in, year out, over and over again.

Why it's even reported on the news anymore is beyond me. Ireland = Albania

No one really cares, they go on voting for the same type of people over and over and over and over again.

No party is immune from this stuff, honest people don't go into Irish politics for very good reason.

But other than the "would you look at dat, isn't dat terrible" from the average Irish person week in, week out, no one seems to really give a shyte.

The really sad thing is Ireland could be a first class country if the corruption and the unending tolerance for it in this country (and worse the sneaking admiration and regard many Irish people seem to have for ' da cute hooor' ) was stamped out. That's what gets me angry, the complete lack of need for this stuff to be going on in this day and age, day in, day out, month in, month out, year after, year, after year.

From PMPA to meat tribunals to Eircon, to Irish Sugar, to Ansbacher, to Planning, to mobile phone licences, to PPARS, to E-Voting, to SCAMA, to Banks, to Anglo, to unnamed Bondholders, to CRC, to Irish Water Consultants, to penalty points, to name just a fraction of it. Over and Over and Over and Over and Over and Over Again and Again and Again and Again.

Does no one ever join the dots in this country ? Or maybe no one really gives a shyte about being screwed all the time ? I find that hard to believe, but it must be a factor.

I really can't work out why Irish people seem to love to 'put up with it', year in year out. I've lived here all my life, but this country and its people never cease to completely and utterly baffle me. I might as well be a foreigner.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement