Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tonight With Vincent Browne Thread v3.0 (07/04/13 - 08/07/14)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,199 ✭✭✭Good loser

vicwatson wrote: »
    This is NOT about conservation of water or about the issue of wasting water - this is purely a tax based on the what the troika have told this government to do - simples.

Not one Irish Government have EVER been concerned about water being wasted, water conservation OR investing in fixing the damn leaks in the system !

Maybe not but every Irish Govt is concerned with money. It's what gets them elected!

• Registered Users Posts: 82,616 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Is there any breakdown on costs as to how much it costs to generate 1 litre of water and how much to dispose of 1 litre of waste water?

• Registered Users Posts: 49,731 ✭✭✭✭coolhull

One word I would like to see banned coming from a politician's mouth is disingenuous.
    One thing I would like to hear banned coming from a politician's mouth is words

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Good loser wrote: »
    Maybe not but every Irish Govt is concerned with money. It's what gets them elected!

Why do we have to create this other tax - to pay for anonymous bondholders gambles that are now happy sitting in their holiday homes in Marbella and the rest?

Rafa Benitez? (with glasses)

A former Fianna Fail advisor.

Sigh.....

And Hanafain wants to make a re-appearance, jesus h christ, what next Harney will return, Ahern....

• Advertisement

Labour are nowhere to be seen today are they? Gone into more hiding

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

This is NOT about conservation of water or about the issue of wasting water - this is purely a tax based on the what the troika have told this government to do - simples.

Not one Irish Government have EVER been concerned about water being wasted, water conservation OR investing in fixing the damn leaks in the system !

Even The Greens didn't give a shyte about it when they were in bed with Fianna Fáil.

Shatter broke the Data Protection laws but committed no offence?

Can you break the law without committing an offence?

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Its 0.1%. Do you not think he is right on this issue tho? Makes sense to me instead of imposing more hardship on people.

If HE proposes it, it must be dodgy. Sounds too good to be true. For example if it resulted in 1000/2000 job losses in the IFSC would it bother RBB?. It would be the simplest thing in the world to transfer such transactions offshore. The only way it would work is if it was done Europe wide at a minimum - and the UK won't have it.

If 0.1% works why not go for 0.5%? Painless €2.5 bn? After all he says once the water charge is introduced it will go up and up.

In principle the best things to tax or levy are things that are unavoidable - such as water supply.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Busted Flat.

What a disappointing show on such a controversial issue, roll on UTV and the demise of this cartoon station.

• Advertisement

Michelle O'Donnell - Keating. Jaysus

What is with the wimmin with their double barrel names.

Get married? don't want to change your name to your husbands - THEN DONT !

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

Even The Greens didn't give a shyte about it when they were in bed with Fianna Fáil.

In politics, when you're desperate for a shag,(power), you don't mind too much who's in the bed. You just hold your nose and shag away.:o

• Registered Users Posts: 9,806 ✭✭✭take everything

Hanafin trying to come back.
    I dunno why I bother having an interest in Irish politics.
    It's just rotten and pointless.

coolhull wrote: »
    Shatter broke the Data Protection laws but committed no offence?

Can you break the law without committing an offence?

If you're an Irish Minister for Justice.......... Yes :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,749 ✭✭✭✭grey_so_what

I'd be a bit piddled off if I was Kate and Mary coming in at the last minute on her white horse to save the day (or not?)...

Mary Hanafin must be desperate. Most people would see it as a huge comedown to go from being a former Minister for Education to becoming a two-bit local councillor.

Why do we have to create this other tax - to pay for anonymous bondholders gambles that are now happy sitting in their holiday homes in Marbella and the rest?

That's irrelevant water under the bridge by now.

We have to live in real time i.e. solve today's problems today.

Paying for water is economics/politics for grown-ups.

I'd be a bit piddled off if I was Kate and Mary coming in at the last minute on her white horse to save the day (or not?)...

I reckon that's why FF changed their mind about Hanafin running. It's likely that Kate kicked up a fuss about having to share the party ticket with Mary Hanafin.

Mary Hanafin must be desperate. Most people would see it as a huge comedown to go from being a former Minister for Education to becoming a two-bit local councillor.

Mary used to drive me mad with her "Múinteoir" voice!!...

The quest for the bit of power never leaves some...

How the mighty have fallen :D
    But I imagine she has her eyes set on something better than being a councillor

• Advertisement

Mary used to drive me mad with her "Múinteoir" voice!!...

The quest for the bit of power never leaves some...

I'll probably be slaughtered for saying this, but she wasn't the worst of the Fianna Fáil trickies.

*runs for cover!*

I'd imagine anyone voting Yes in that vote would be akin to a turkey voting for Christmas....

I'll probably be slaughtered for saying this, but she wasn't the worst of the Fianna Fáil trickies.

*runs for cover!*

Ah, come out from behind the couch Harry!....:D

Mary could hold her own in a any debate.

She will be back.

*runs for cover!*
    Surely you remember Hanafin defending Bertie with all her might on Primetime?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

*runs for cover!*

She was, (and is), up at the top in the arrogance stakes.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Coincidentally, another former Minister for Education, also based in Dun Laoghaire did exactly the same a few years ago.

Niamh Bhreathnach became Minister on her first day in the Dail but she lost her seat at the next Election and has been mostly back in the Council ever since.

http://electionsireland.org/candidate.cfm?ID=278

Granted, but as a minister, she was fairly straight, and whilst the likes of Bertie and co. feathered their own nests along the way, Hanafin was a fairly honest politician and an effective Minister for Education.
    I'm no fan of hers or FF, but there would be a lot more current or ex-Fianna Fáil TD's/Senators such as Cowen, McCreevy, Conor Lenihan, Willie O'Dea, Mary Coughlan, Ivor Callely etc who I'd prefer to see being strung up before her.

Granted, but as a minister, she was fairly straight, and whilst the likes of Bertie and co. feathered their own nests along the way, Hanafin was a fairly honest politician.

I'd agree 100% with you there Harry.

But I didn't like her stance regarding the court case with special needs children's education.

I took the below from Wiki but I remember that case well, she was quite unforgiving of any sort of compromise as Minister.

"Hanafin was accused in February 2008, of being oblivious to the plight of parents of children with autism, and of taking an imperious view, consistent with her decision to engage in a 68 day court battle with the parents who were attempting to obtain appropriate education for their children through the Applied behavior analysis (ABA) method. She and her Department were accused of ignoring reality of autism education requirements. The mother, Yvonne Ui Cuanachain said: "Well I would reject the Minister's position quite completely and I feel it's actually quite cynically misrepresentative of the situation on the ground. The Department of Education does not support ABA, it does not support ABA within the ABA schools and neither does it support ABA within the eclectic classes."

And I have to say I never had any love for her dad Des Hanifan.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

Heard her today saying that she was a true FF person - she was boasting how she had often defended the indefensible!
    :(:(:(

I always remember her defending the scurrilous actions of the Dept. of Education when that woman in Cork (Ms. O'Keefe?) who was abused by her teacher was denied justice in this country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

brooke 2 wrote: »
    Heard her today saying that she was a true FF person - she was boasting how she had often defended the indefensible!
    :(:(:(

I always remember her defending the scurrilous actions of the Dept. of Education when that woman in Cork (Ms. O'Keefe?) who was abused by her teacher was denied justice in this country.

Yea true FF person ... FF first, last & always and feck the country
    Can't stand the woman, is there no end to their greed? Wish I was in her constituency so I could start an ABH campaign

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement