Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tonight With Vincent Browne Thread v3.0 (07/04/13 - 08/07/14)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

450 euro an hour for a solicitor. They are tackling the wrong professions.

Obviously not the norm, wonder did AIB ask for a Section 68 letter before employing the solicitor? ;) Highly doubtful

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

Coming up tonight.....

Vinny and his panel will discuss Labour's plan to ban all alcohol sponsorship of sports events by 2020.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/crossparty-group-to-fight-proposed-ban-on-alcohol-sponsorship-29317359.html

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭I8A4RE

If alcohol companies are stopped from sponsoring sporting events, which companies out there with the available funds to sponsor? The main one I can think of is McDonalds

Is the heineken cup going to be called the McDonalds Cup? Which would people rather?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Ridiculous idea. Labour will be banning Christmas next :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Busted Flat.

Look at the guy who is talking about obesity.

• Advertisement

Has anyone ever watched a Heineken Cup match and thought "That's made me thirsty for a pint of Heineken now!", or watched the Jameson Irish Grand National and couldn't resist the urge to rush out and buy themselves a bottle of whiskey??

In other news, Shatter-Gate may not be over just yet :D
    Shatter breath-test row garda seeks legal advice

The source said the garda wants her reputation restored after a week in which her "professionalism was effectively called into question".

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/shatter-breathtest-row-garda-seeks-legal-advice-29317378.html

I8A4RE wrote: »
    If alcohol companies are stopped from sponsoring sporting events, which companies out there with the available funds to sponsor? The main one I can think of is McDonalds

Is the heineken cup going to be called the McDonalds Cup? Which would people rather?

It's called the "H" cup in France due to their ban

MrsD007 wrote: »

It's Yawn material at this stage - nothing ever changes

• Registered Users Posts: 13,298 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Has anyone ever watched a Heineken Cup match and thought "That's made me thirsty for a pint of Heineken now!", or watched the Jameson Irish Grand National and couldn't resist the urge to rush out and buy themselves a bottle of whiskey??

Isn't advertising about creating brand recognition and ultimately will influence people into buying that product?

• Advertisement

Look at the guy who is talking about obesity.

Who Shane Byrne the former Irish International Rugby Player that was a Hooker? :rolleyes:

Isn't advertising about creating brand recognition and ultimately will influence people into that product?

Only if they're lacking a brain. Just because Heineken sponsor a major competition wouldn't make me want to drink the stuff. If people want to have a drink, they'll have a drink. And what's so wrong with brand recognition anyway? It's all part of the marketing process. Even if there was a blanket ban on alcohol sponsorship and advertising, people will still take a drink.

vicwatson wrote: »
    It's Yawn material at this stage - nothing ever changes
    The Garda deserves the right to set the record straight, particularly if she feels that her professional integrity has been called into question.

Who Shane Byrne the former Irish International Rugby Player that was a Hooker? :rolleyes:
    Do you put on weight when your on the game.

It's called the "H" cup in France due to their ban

Thats true, bad example but we know what it means still... I ll use the GAA as an example instead.

IF McDs do go into sponsorship then in a few years they ll be under pressure to stop sponsorsoring

To make a long story short whoever has the money to sponsor sports and some one has a gripe against them they'll be witch hunted.

One more example, can't resist......People would be outraged if apple or google went into sports sponsorship(unlikely I know)

Shatter slithered his way out of that situation far too easily. It'll be nice to see him squirm again.

Only if they're lacking a brain. Just because Heineken sponsor a major competition wouldn't make me want to drink the stuff. If people want to have a drink, they'll have a drink. And what's so wrong with brand recognition anyway? It's all part of the marketing process. Even if there was a blanket ban on alcohol sponsorship and advertising, people will still take a drink.

I suppose because alcohol abuse is a big issue among some people in Ireland. So it's a fair enough topic to discuss.

Most people are influenced by advertising. I'm not sure if you're disputing the effect of advertising?

Shorthall is like an embarassing mammy who has no idea in her attitude towards sport - "Sure could'nt they have the google cup".... EMBARASSING

I8A4RE wrote: »
    Shorthall is like an embarassing mammy who has no idea in her attitude towards sport - "Sure could'nt they have the google cup".... EMBARASSING

Sure it already exists........

4838065869_44bfefcd7b_z.jpg

I suppose because alcohol abuse is a big issue among some people in Ireland. So it's a fair enough topic to discuss.

Most people are influenced by advertising. I'm not sure if you're disputing the effect of advertising?

It's a big issue among some people in Ireland. Just because some people have a problem with alcohol doesn't mean it should be demonised to the extent of banning sports sponsorship and imposing minimum prices.
    Maybe we should close down all fast food outlets because some people are obese, and close down all bookmakers because some people have a problem with gambling? Where does it end?

• Advertisement

The Garda deserves the right to set the record straight, particularly if she feels that her professional integrity has been called into question.

What record? There isn't one apparentely

We don't even know the Gardai's name for C sake.

Trust me I'm no fan of Mr Arrogant but this is fruitless.

It's a big issue among some people in Ireland. Just because some people have a problem with alcohol doesn't mean it should be demonised to the extent of banning sports sponsorship and imposing minimum prices.
    Maybe we should close down all fast food outlets because some people are obese, and close down all bookmakers because some people have a problem with gambling? Where does it end?

Minimum prices is a separate issue.

I just wasn't sure if you were disputing the idea that advertises influences people.

I'm open minded on the idea really. There is a lot of alcohol consumed in this country, by all ages. At the same time, I don't want a nanny state.

Do you put on weight when your on the game.

:confused:

Presumably her colleagues know who she is.

The garda in question is seeking legal advice because she feels her "exemplary record and reputation have been dragged through the mud, despite following all the correct protocols". She seems to be getting support from some senior members of the force too.

I don't support any political party but.

Harry, Here's your Jerry Hall ;)

Presumably her colleagues know who she is.

The garda in question is seeking legal advice because she feels her "exemplary record and reputation have been dragged through the mud", despite following all the correct protocols". She seems to be getting support from some senior members of the force too.

Hopefully, they will stand by her.

Hopefully, they will stand by her.
    There isn't too much love for the minister within the force at the moment I'd say.

Harry, Here's your Jerry Hall ;)

I'll get my coat. :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,222 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

I see half moon face is on again

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement