Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tonight With Vincent Browne Thread v3.0 (07/04/13 - 08/07/14)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,922 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

As long as they ban jazz music.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭Hitchens

ah, old Stringer Bell :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Un Croissant

No, but what about a microorganism or an imaginary person or someone who doesn't even know them?

Marriage is an arbitrary invented concept by society and society can arbitrarily determine what the invented concept means. As I say I really don't care one way or the other and don't think it's an important issue.

Could you get married this minute if you wanted? Some people cant. So its an issue for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Moronic Ladbrokes ads.

FYP :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

Could you get married this minute if you wanted? Some people cant. So its an issue for them.

They can marry a person of a different sex, the same rules apply to everyone. That makes it fundamentally different to discrimination against for example women being able to vote.

• Advertisement

You're not the only one kid.
    I don't know a lot about it either.

And CUT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭Lucifer MorningStar

The ****ing ads went on longer than the actual show itself.

They can marry a person of a different sex, the same rules apply to everyone. That makes it fundamentally different to discrimination against for example women being able to vote.

Why would/should they marry a person of a different sex?

A 2 hour programme that could have been squished to 1hr 15mins. Oh TV3 yis are in for some kicking when UTV arrive in town

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭Lucifer MorningStar

Love this weatherman :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 49,731 ✭✭✭✭coolhull

Well, there's another 2 hours off my life (excluding the ad breaks)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

They can marry, as long as it's to someone they don't love and aren't attracted to.

That is how they are being discriminated against.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

RayM wrote: »
    They can marry, as long as it's to someone they don't love and aren't attracted to.

That is how they are being discriminated against.

There is no rule saying anything about loving them or not. They can marry a person as long as they're over 18, alive, consent to it and are of the other gender.

Marriage is just an idea, a story, a fairytale. I didn't make up the rules of it, just stating what they are.

Love this weathermanpresenter :pac:

FYP, ahem :D

There is no rule saying anything about loving them or not. They can marry a person as long as they're over 18, alive, consent to it and are of the other gender.

I know that's why the majority of people marry (just because) but the minority of us want something more from marriage. :S

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

Marriage is just an idea, a story, a fairytale. I didn't make up the rules of it, just stating what they are.

As a straight person, I am legally allowed to marry a person whom I love and am attracted to (I'm going to assume that my hypothetical wife loves and is attracted to me - she's only human after all). A gay person does not have that right. And there is no logical reason why they shouldn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

One would have to wonder about those young men in particular being so against gay marriage, they were almost bitter and angry about it. The lady protest too much, comes to mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

As a straight person, I am legally allowed to marry a person whom I love and am attracted to (I'm going to assume that my hypothetical wife loves and is attracted to me - she's only human after all). A gay person does not have that right. And there is no logical reason why they shouldn't.

the complementarity of men and women isn't a logical reason? :-) I actually have no idea what that means and the anti-gay side spit that out every now and then.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭NuMarvel

the complementarity of men and women isn't a logical reason? :-) I actually have no idea what that means and the anti-gay side spit that out every now and then.

I think it's men having to compliment women, even if it's a lie. Apparently men complimenting or women complimenting women goes against the natural order of things and will lead to cats marrying dogs, the breakdown of civilisation as we know it and repeats of Fair City on all TV channels around the world 24 hours a day for the rest of eternity.

• Advertisement

Anyone know why the two gay lads were dressed as women?
    What's that all about?

Anyone know why the two gay lads were dressed as women?
    What's that all about?

I only saw one, but then I was only watching bits and pieces of the programme. The one I saw was the drag queen named earlier in the thread.

Ultimately there's any number of reasons why they did it, and only they can say definitively. I suspect it was a political statement, to highlight the diversity of the LGBT community. Also, there's precedent within the LGBT equality movement, with drag queens being at the forefront of movement after the Stonewall riots.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭golfball37

Yes there is. A natural sexual union is between a male and a female.

golfball37 wrote: »
    Yes there is. A natural sexual union is between a male and a female.

A sexual union between two males or two females is also natural.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭Hitchens

NuMarvel wrote: »
    how's about 1 male and 2 females? ;)

...TAXI :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭golfball37

NuMarvel wrote: »

Is it? Why weren't we all created the same gender then?

LBGT couples cannot procreate so it is not natural. They can love each other and derive sexual pleasure the same as hetrosexual couples but nothing is going to tell me its natural.

For the same reason we're not all created heterosexual. Life and nature are more complex than you may appreciate.
    LBGT couples cannot procreate so it is not natural. They can love each other and derive sexual pleasure the same as hetrosexual couples but nothing is going to tell me its natural.

Ability to procreate together isn't a measure of what's natural. Many couples cannot procreate together, eg because of old age, yet they aren't considered unnatural or denied the freedom to marry.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Right ok - lets revoke the marriage licences of every married couple that never had children because their union was unnatural.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

The question in the referendum, when it comes, will not be about the private sexual lives of couples. Nor should it be. We will be asked if we want to allow grown men and women to make their vows to each other and have it recognised as a marriage. Nobody has yet convinced me that we should not give our approval. Some people will say that it will destroy the institute of marriage. Of course they don't mean it would damage their own marriages, always the marriages of other people.
    And anyway, us married people don't see why gay or lesbian couples shouldn't be just as miserable as the rest of us!

• Advertisement

The question in the referendum, when it comes, will not be about the private sexual lives of couples. Nor should it be. We will be asked if we want to allow grown men and women to make their vows to others of the same gender and have it recognised as a marriage. Nobody has yet convinced me that we should not give our approval. Some people will say that it will destroy the institute of marriage. Of course they don't mean it would damage their own marriages, always the marriages of other people.
    And anyway, us married people don't see why gay or lesbian couples shouldn't be just as miserable as the rest of us!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement