Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tonight With Vincent Browne Thread v3.0 (07/04/13 - 08/07/14)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,805 ✭✭✭take everything

The final debate on the abortion legislation.. So no doubt The VB Show will do what every other panel show has done since this debate started... Get the most representative moderate contributors for both sides of the argument? No, you can guarantee we'll have the usual whack jobs like Caroline Simons, Ivana Bacik, Ronan Mullen etc etc..

In fairness that would be insanity, but probably great TV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Anybody who believes:

- there will be no abortions if we reject the legislation
    - that women would not lie about being suicidal in order to avail of a legal abortion.
    - that women in particular cases would not lie about being raped to avail of a legal abortion.

is completely deluded... The problem with this debate is that the extremists are the only people that the media bother to bring on these panel shows.. It would serve the public (and the legislation) far better if they brought on moderate representatives with a more common sense, practical approach to the subject...

• Site Banned Posts: 31 Maggotz

That Cora one looks unridden. Unlikely she has ever spied a hard cock

coolhull wrote: »
    I have a sneaking admiration for Lucinda.

I happen to think she's totally wrong, but at least she has the courage of her convictions. Tomorrow's Dail vote will show how many others have to balls to walk the walk.
    Having said that, I would be in favour of this Bill being passed, flawed though it is.

I have to say i was suspicious that this was a political move (her history with Enda etc) but i admit a sneaking admiration as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Busted Flat.

doovdela wrote: »
    I've never seen his eyes so red! Is he alright?

It's only one eye, there is an awful draught from keyholes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Oh dear it be like he has hayfever or conjunctivitus!

Ah ffs, who is it doing the dustman's blow... Was it Cora?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

It's only one eye, there is an awful draught from keyholes.

Hmmm he cleaned his nose at least! Despite a serious debate!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭cunnifferous

Anybody who believes:

- that women would not lie about being suicidal in order to avail of a legal abortion.
    - that women in particular cases would not lie about being raped to avail of a legal abortion.

is completely deluded... The problem with this debate is that the extremists are the only people that the media bother to bring on these panel shows.. It would serve the public (and the legislation) far better if they brought on moderate representatives with a more common sense, practical approach to the subject...

You seem to be espousing the views of one side of the 'extremists' that you are decrying. I don't believe people would lie about being raped to get an abortion. Why would they? They could get a ryanair flight to England or a train to Belfast instead of having to be assessed by a number of psychiatrists in a long drawn out process.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

The problem with this debate is that the extremists are the only people that the media bother to bring on these panel shows.. It would serve the public (and the legislation) far better if they brought on moderate representatives with a more common sense, practical approach to the subject...

I've yet to see a pro-choice extremist. Tolerating other people's life choices doesn't really lend itself to extremism.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭darkhorse

Hitchens wrote: »
    who, in their right mind, would go anywhere near a psychiatrist?

That's the bestest one that I've heard in ages, well done.:D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,298 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Anybody who believes:

Explain to us what a common sense approach would look like...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭dcmm

Hitchens wrote: »
    who, in their right mind, would go anywhere near a psychiatrist?

Good one Hitchens, HA! HA! HA,

You seem to be espousing the views of one side of the 'extremists' that you are decrying. I don't believe people would lie about being raped to get an abortion.

Dont get me wrong. I dont have a hard line position on the topic. And from my three points above I would have thought that the first would have been something that people against the legislation would have espoused, and the other two points would have been espoused by the pro-legislation side.. I wasnt trying to be pro one side or the other.

The legislation will not change whether people have abortions or not, it will just change the context in which the abortions are carried out, so from a practical point of view I'm not sure it's as significant as is being made out... And the hypothetical situation where you have a girl that is raped who does not want to carry the child, yet you have a child who has the right to life .. ?? Who can say what is right on that one, it's certainly nothing that legislation can cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,298 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Dont get me wrong. I dont have a hard line position on the topic. And from my three points above I would have thought that the first would have been something that people against the legislation would have espoused, and the other two points would have been espoused by the pro-legislation side.. I wasnt trying to be pro one side or the other.

The legislation will not change whether people have abortions or not, it will just change the context in which the abortions are carried out, so from a practical point of view I'm not sure it's as significant as is being made out... And the hypothetical situation where you have a girl that is raped who does not want to carry the child, yet you have a child who has the right to life .. ?? Who can say what is right on that one, it's certainly nothing that legislation can cover.

Eh the woman comes first you would agree? It can be changed by a referendum repealing the 8th amendment.

You've not formed a hard view, but come to the conclusion that women will lie about being suicidal and about being raped. That's pretty hard line.

on til 1am tonight, I better put on the coffee pot... There's an unscheduled Late Debate on Radio One tonight as well in case anybody gets cheesed of with Vincent's usual badgering..

Vincent looks healthier tonight. I suspect he spent too much time in the sun yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,007 ✭✭✭Hitchens

is that Ivana's younger sister?

Why is auld slashed tyre on the show, who does she represent, or is she short of a few bob for the brothers trial.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,473 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Wish someone would challenge Dana's comment that unborn babies would now be targetted.

By who exactly and of course she brings God into it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Godwin! Godwin! Godwin!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

Michelle is absolutely gutless, I hope we have seen the last of her on the Saturday Night Show preaching to us about morals and standards.

When you see an auld man wearing a wig, does it inspire confidence in his opinion, it is like wearing a mask.

Dana never looks right to me sitting on a low chair :P

• Registered Users Posts: 28,473 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Can someone please tell me why Dana i on this show and a priest as well?

Really not representative of society at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,412 ✭✭✭basillarkin

Here comes FHE this should be good

MrsD007 wrote: »
    Michelle is absolutely gutless, I hope we have seen the last of her on Saturday Night Show preaching to us about morals and standards.

She's smart enough to accept that her "níl" vote will achieve nothing, other than leave her on the wrong side of history. Without being Enda Kenny's running mate, she hasn't got a hope of getting elected again. Lucinda Creighton is a talented, intelligent politician, with a good chance of getting re-elected, regardless of whether or not she's a member of Fine Gael. Michelle Mulherin doesn't have that luxury.

Is this the auld one that wouldn't pay the plummer, I stand corrected if I am wrong.

Trains are free

does Fidelma think she is Luke Kelly? :pac:

• Advertisement

C'mon already, who's gonna get the douze points.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement