Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tonight With Vincent Browne Thread v3.0 (07/04/13 - 08/07/14)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 49,731 ✭✭✭✭coolhull

vicwatson wrote: »
    Delighted to see her brought to her knees
    No, that's not on the menu. The best you can hope for is a lapdance!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 914 ✭✭✭tommyboy2222

RayM wrote: »
    We need both. Political parties need to be 'encouraged' to run an equal number of men and women in elections (local and general).

I disagree. We need the best candidates put forward for election.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

I disagree. We need the best candidates put forward for election.

If 50% of the population are female, it seems somewhat anomalous that 85% of our elected representatives are male. I cannot understand why people think that's an acceptable situation.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭SuperInfinity

We need both. Political parties need to be 'encouraged' to run an equal number of men and women in elections (local and general).

I can't understand this viewpoint. Becoming a politician is supposed to run on a very simple process: if you think you'd be good at it and it would suit you: run for it. If not, then don't. I don't think there should be favouritism given towards a particular group in this process or any process. It seems like your typical problem-reaction-solution response, when if there are some problems with certain groups getting to be represented then it's the whole system that needs altering. Otherwise are black people going to say: "hey we're not represented like we should be" in the future, homosexual people, and so on. It doesn't make sense to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

Miriam O'Callaghan will be trying to get Lucinda on the show on Saturday I'd say.

• Advertisement

Sometimes I think Lucy hasn't thought this thing through properly

• Registered Users Posts: 13,300 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

I can't understand this viewpoint. Becoming a politician is supposed to run on a very simple process: if you think you'd be good at it and it would suit you: run for it. If not, then don't. I don't think there should be favouritism given towards a particular group in this process or any process. It seems like your typical problem-reaction-solution response, when if there are some problems with certain groups getting to be represented then it's the whole system that needs altering. Otherwise are black people going to say: "hey we're not represented like we should be" in the future, homosexual people, and so on. It doesn't make sense to me.

Men haven't done a great job ruling the world so far have they?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,749 ✭✭✭✭grey_so_what

MrsD007 wrote: »
    Miriam O'Callaghan will be trying to the get Lucinda on the show on Saturday I'd say.

Ah no............We need a break from Lulu at this stage now MrsD..........

Genuinely....

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 9,759 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Rubbish. We need the best candidates regardless of sex.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Miriam O'Callaghan will be trying to get Lucinda on the show on Saturday I'd say.

I'd say Marian will be trying to get her as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

coolhull wrote: »
    Sometimes I think Lucy hasn't thought this thing through properly

Really she said she could not vote for bill and she stood by that .
    It's a pity I do think its FGs loss

I'd say Marian will be trying to get her as well.

Lulu should lock herself in the loo with the amount of wimmen after her at this stage!!!!!!:eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

VB getting paid by the half hour now !!

TV3 why can't you set up a simple link? The same last night, contributors at the Dail couldn't hear the studio, pathetic, there are people orbiting the earth above us and they cannot even get this right ! Sigh

I can't understand this viewpoint.

Do you think it's acceptable that while 50% of the population is female, 85% of elected representatives are male?

Lisha wrote: »
    Really she said she could not vote for bill and she stood by that .
    It's a pity I do think its FGs loss
    Oh absolutely. I admire her for sticking to her guns. Most men in the Dail wouldn't.
    I meant she needs to review her convictions on this legislation, weak as it is.

Men haven't done a great job ruling the world so far have they?

Women get about the same results when they're given power. Anyway that's a ludicrous point, I hope you aren't serious.

Do you think it's acceptable that while 50% of the population is female, 85% of elected representatives are male?
    I hope Lucinda doesn't leave politics like Olwyn Enright did.

Isn't that Donal a useless git in the ads???......

I still don't even know what the ad is for!!.........

That's how our current political system works for all traits anyone may have, not just whether they have a penis or a pair of boobs.

lertsnim wrote: »
    Rubbish. We need the best candidates regardless of sex.

Unless you believe that the majority of the best candidates are male, it makes no sense to dismiss my post as rubbish. Can we not have both equality and the best candidates?

Or are you implying that men are inherently better suited to politics?

• Advertisement

That was a bit of a cheap shot at Mary regarding the drink.

Vincent is not short of having a tipple himself............

Then you have to convince that 50 percent to vote for women candidates. That isn't happening, even on something as stupid as 'Britain's Got Talent'.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,759 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Unless you believe that the majority of the best candidates are male, it makes no sense to dismiss my post as rubbish. Can we not have both equality and the best candidates?

No I never suggested that. What I am saying is the replacement of male TD's with female TD's just to fill a quota is madness. Let the public decide if a candidate is right for them, not somebodies sex. What's next after the male/female quota is met? There's not enough black TD's, muslims, jewish?

Maybe they are, do you claim they're not? The theory is the best people who also want to do it go forward and get elected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 914 ✭✭✭tommyboy2222

If 50% of the population are female, it seems somewhat anomalous that 85% of our elected representatives are male. I cannot understand why people think that's an acceptable situation.

Surely if more men put themselves forward for election, there is a greater chance that men will make up a greater % of the elected representatives ?

I think that it's genuinely difficult for a woman with young children (living outside Dublin) to succeed in politics. The travel, unsociable hours, constituency clinics etc don't make it a family friendly occupation, so I reckon that turns off most women.

I think that it's genuinely difficult for a woman with young children (living outside Dublin) to succeed in politics. The travel, unsociable hours, constituency clinics etc don't make it a family friendly occupation for most women.

Too true MrsD......

Parochial politics in this country have no time for the "Mammy" wearing the trousers.........

Regardless of what Mary Robinson said, they do generally "rock the cradle"...unfortunately..........

Many's the good woman has left politics for that reason.

I think that it's genuinely difficult for a woman with young children (living outside Dublin) to succeed in politics. The travel, unsociable hours, constituency clinics etc don't make it a family friendly occupation, so I reckon that turns off most women.
    And drinking half-price pints at 5 in the morning would not necessarily suit all women anyway.
    Though I know a few..... (never mind!)

lertsnim wrote: »
    No I never suggested that. What I am saying is the replacement of male TD's with female TD's just to fill a quota is madness. Let the public decide if a candidate is right for them, not somebodies sex. What's next after the male/female quota is met? There's not enough black TD's, muslims, jewish?

Your argument is silly. The public would still be deciding which candidate is right for them. Even if half the candidates were female, the electorate could still - should it wish to - elect an 85% male Dáil.
    Maybe they are, do you claim they're not? The theory is the best people who also want to do it go forward and get elected.

I've seen nothing to suggest that either gender is better suited to politics. I've also seen absolutely nothing to suggest that the best people get selected by their parties.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,300 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Oh the bill passed by the way. Minor step on the way to full equality for women.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement