Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tonight With Vincent Browne Thread v3.0 (07/04/13 - 08/07/14)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

I reckon Bríd doesnt like men very much..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭HurtLocker

Hitchens wrote: »
    in me father's time they'd be read out from the altar ;)

Id love for a priest to give out about me doing non-Catholic activities from the altar to all the ol'parishioners :D Would make my day.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Busted Flat.

Boom Boom.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,805 ✭✭✭take everything

The rise of western individualism...
    And McGurk keeps his gob shut. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭HurtLocker

"The Gender of Reality"...........What does that mean??

Its a subtle way for homophobes to tell homosexuals that they are not welcome or equal and be seen but not heard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49,731 ✭✭✭✭coolhull

Keep talkin, talkin, talkjng, Quinn, it doesn't matter that you're not making sense. Eventually the clock will wind down, and you'll be able to take your smug, self-satisfied self home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Tom seems to get through about twice as much as Vincent when he's hosting the show... And about twenty times what Sam Smyth gets through...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,749 ✭✭✭✭grey_so_what

The rise of western individualism...
    And McGurk keeps his gob shut. :eek:

I'd love to see that for eternity.........

No such luck I imagine......:(

• Registered Users Posts: 49,731 ✭✭✭✭coolhull

I reckon David Quinn doesn't like anyone very much, unless they're wearing a cassock

Tom seems to get through about twice as much as Vincent when he's hosting the show... And about twenty times what Sam Smyth gets through...

If you are comparing tonight's show with some of his, look at the people on the show tonight, then you will understand why you see Tom get through so much, with their limited contributions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,749 ✭✭✭✭grey_so_what

Tom's glasses look like something out of a lucky bag......

• Registered Users Posts: 8,007 ✭✭✭Hitchens

"in your community" - sez Tom :D

Should find who the strategic defaulters are.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,222 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

I like John McGuirk, he seems to be very sharp. So what if he is right wing, it makes a change from listening to garbage from the pc lefties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭darkhorse

Did ya hear her telling yer man to move outta the way, cause she couldn't see Niamh. I was in stitches.:D:D I thought she was going hit him a box at one stage, or worse, I thought she was going to bring this up:

John McGuirk in Stubbs Gazette for €10k owed to Ballybay Credit ...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

RayM wrote: »
    That's the one. Apparently he's only around 30. There's something very odd and creepy about young people who express extreme right-wing opinions.

If it's true that you get more right-wing as you get older, it's quite disturbing to imagine what he'll be like in a few years.

He was called 'political commentator' when his name came up. When Tom was introducing him he called him a 'lobbyist'.

He ran in the last General Election in Cavan Monaghan. The people didn't vote often enough for him as he wasn't elected. He came 12th out of 14 in the 1st count. He did however get a not too shabby 1,708 first prefs.

I had to laugh at this little piece on p.ie
    http://www.politics.ie/forum/media/196770-john-mcguirk-stubbs-gazette-10k-owed-ballybay-credit-union.html

He's too arrogant to be on too much but he's good for a laugh/to laugh at.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

darkhorse wrote: »
    Did ya hear her telling yer man to move outta the way, cause she couldn't see Niamh. I was in stitches.:D:D I thought she was going hit him a box at one stage, or worse, I thought she was going to bring this up:

If only someone had printed up and worn a tshirt with the blown-up entry from Stubbs a la Paul Merton on Have I got News for You when Angus Deayton had his "issues" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

I like John McGuirk, he seems to be very sharp. So what if he is right wing, it makes a change from listening to garbage from the pc lefties.

sharp,
    that's sounds about right, you could throw in slightly bitter as well. A bit of a lemon all round I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,222 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

imme wrote: »
    He was called 'political commentator' when his name came up. When Tom was introducing him he called him a 'lobbyist'.

He ran in the last General Election in Cavan Monaghan. The people didn't vote often enough for him as he wasn't elected. He came 12th out of 14 in the 1st count. He did however get a not too shabby 1,708 first prefs.

I had to laugh at this little piece on p.ie
    http://www.politics.ie/forum/media/196770-john-mcguirk-stubbs-gazette-10k-owed-ballybay-credit-union.html

He's too arrogant to be on too much but he's good for a laugh/to laugh at.

Is a bit arrogant, but speaks a lot of sense.

It seems all these right wing loolaghs are in deep $hit as regards finance. Then again you can see his point, someone else should pay for his investments.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭pjproby

I thought it was just showbiz tonight John McGuirk was winging it most of the time , the other David was making it up as he went along. Never let facts spoil a good story.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,758 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Mc Guirk must be intending to run in the next General election.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Fionnan Sheahan has let rip about his falling out with Vincent Browne in today's Irish Independent. He goes into detail giving his version of what happened between them on the night of the Anglo Tapes argument (AngloGateGate?)

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/columnists/fionnan-sheahan/like-all-bullies-vincent-browne-can-give-it-out-but-he-just-cant-take-it-29472501.html
    At the end of the show, Browne said he wanted to talk to me.

Outside in the TV3 newsroom, there ensued a full, frank and fulsome exchange (note the pattern of the use of the 'f' – it is a hint to the content).

Jabbing his finger at me, he said that if I had a problem I should bring it up outside the studio. Ironic, considering his own habit of launching surprise attacks live on air.

I responded by saying that his treatment of Fiach Kelly was an absolute disgrace and I was sick of his biased treatment of the Irish Independent.

In the presence of his producer, Browne said to me: "As a result of your disruption to the programme tonight, I will do everything to ensure you never appear on here again."

He raised his voice.

I raised mine.

He pointed a finger at me.

I pointed a finger at him.

He shouted at me.

I shouted at him.

He swore at me.

I swore at him ...

He walked off in a huff to his desk in the corner, repeatedly saying: "F*** off."

My parting shot was to retort: "You can give it but you can't f***ing take it, Vincent."

I don't think Fionnan will be making the late night trip to Ballymount again anytime soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

Fionnan says that Vincent said - "As a result of your disruption to the programme tonight, I will do everything to ensure you never appear on here again."

However, TV3 released a statement within a couple of days of the infamous row stating that Sheahan was not banned contrary to the news reports in the Indo.
    TV3 HAS INSISTED today that the political editor of the Irish Independent is not barred from the station or appearing on ‘Tonight with Vincent Browne’ despite a report in that newspaper this morning.

http://businessetc.thejournal.ie/tv3-fionnan-sheahan-vincent-browne-967142-Jun2013/

Something doesn't add up here, we have been given two conflicting accounts. What is obvious though is Fionnan and the Indo's need to get Fionnan's side of things out there again and again. Meanwhile Vincent has maintained a dignified silence apart from advising us that the Irish Independent had stopped providing their front page for the newspaper preview.

I think this is extremely foolish of the Indo, they're missing out on a free plug every evening and it's a bit silly to have Indo reporters and columnists taking part in the show who are able to discuss stories that appear in other newspapers but not their own. The Indo is cutting off its nose to spite its face.

As for Fionnan, I've heard him lose the cool on Pat Kenny and George Hook's radio programmes over the last few months, he can be super critical of other people and their actions but appears to have a super-sensitive skin when people question him or are in any way critical of the media organisation he works for.

MrsD007 wrote: »
    As for Fionnan, I've heard him lose the cool on Pat Kenny and George Hook's radio programmes over the last few months, he can be super critical of other people and their actions but appears to have a super-sensitive skin when people question him or are in any way critical of the media organisation he works for.

Yes, he does seem ready to snap very quickly, which isn't a good quality in a broadcast journalist.

It's a shame things deteriorated to this extent. There are two sides to every story but the pair of them should have sat down in private to discuss their grievances. Fionnan has gone nuclear now and made an amicable resolution very difficult. As you say, it is himself and The Irish Independent who lose out far more the Vincent Browne.

Skid X wrote: »
    Yes, he does seem ready to snap very quickly, which isn't a good quality in a broadcast journalist.

It's a shame things deteriorated to this extent. There are two sides to every story but the pair of them should have sat down in private to discuss their grievances. Fionnan has gone nuclear now and made an amicable resolution very difficult. As you say, it is himself and The Irish Independent who lose out far more the Vincent Browne.
    There is definitely a pair of them in it Skid, Vinny can be a bit aggressive sometimes, he sort of goes into Barrister/Courtroom mode. I don't think he realises how hostile he comes across at times. He can be a bit OTT but that's what's needed on occasion to get beyond the bullsh1t some TDs spout. I for one have no interest in listening to a TD who is only interested in rolling out a prepared statement that some highly paid spindoctor has prepared. Any politician who appears on Vinny's programme knows he won't entertain that.

Fionnan seems to feel that Vinny has some vendetta against the Indo, I honestly don't believe he has. Vinny has expressed some concerns about Denis O'Brien's dominance within Irish media but lets face it, he wouldn't be alone there. The Indo is always very well represented on the panel and the Indo reporter, Alison O'Connor presents the programme from time to time. I wonder was Fionnan ever approached to present the show during Vinny's holidays? If not, perhaps he's a bit miffed about it :D

MrsD007 wrote: »
    Alison O'Connor presents the programme from time to time. I wonder was Fionnan ever approached to present the show during Vinny's holidays? If not, perhaps he's a bit miffed about it :D

Lol, or maybe Senator Averil Power (Fionnan's wife) has been invited onto the show a little too often for Fionnan's liking. Vincent should invite Averil to guest host for a few nights, just to stir it up :D

Fionnan Sheahan has let rip about his falling out with Vincent Browne in today's Irish Independent. He goes into detail giving his version of what happened between them on the night of the Anglo Tapes argument (AngloGateGate?)

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/columnists/fionnan-sheahan/like-all-bullies-vincent-browne-can-give-it-out-but-he-just-cant-take-it-29472501.html

I don't think Fionnan will be making the late night trip to Ballymount again anytime soon.

Saw that as well.
    Bit of a strange rant.

Lol, or maybe Senator Averil Power (Fionnan's wife) has been invited onto the show a little too often for Fionnan's liking. Vincent should invite Averil to guest host for a few nights, just to stir it up :D
    Speaking of the lovely Averil, I heard her being interviewed by Miriam O'Callaghan (John Murray Show) on Friday July 25th.

She spoke about being adopted and meeting her birth mother when she was in her early 20s. I find Miriam's interviews hard going these days but I thought Averil's interview was very good. Sometimes, it's good to be reminded that politicians are real people :o

http://www.rte.ie/radio1/the-john-murray-show/podcasts/

I reckon that Joe Brolly might be the man to put manners on Vinny and Fionnan, can you imagine the three of them together :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭chinwag

I wonder was Fionnan ever approached to present the show during Vinny's holidays? If not, perhaps he's a bit miffed about it :D
    This was included in the FS article:

"That was that, though, and TV3 had actually asked me to be one of the guest presenters during Browne's absence, stemming from the fact that I had stood up to him on shows and subjected the presenter to questioning."

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement