Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ideas on what to plant in this space ....

• 07-04-2013 4:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭

Howdy green fingered ones. I took out a large dead fir today and it's left a gap that needs to be filled. I'd like to put in a nice tree in the space but don't want any hassle with roots in years to come. Would it be possible to put a tree in this space? Any suggestions? Something fast growing :)

[IMG][/img]8B47421F83FE4BC58566105CA77775CD-0000335867-0003213965-00800L-DC5BB1B8AB874C929269C42DB4528443.jpg

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Howdy green fingered ones. I took out a large dead fir today and it's left a gap that needs to be filled. I'd like to put in a nice tree in the space but don't want any hassle with roots in years to come. Would it be possible to put a tree in this space? Any suggestions? Something fast growing :)

[IMG][/img]8B47421F83FE4BC58566105CA77775CD-0000335867-0003213965-00800L-DC5BB1B8AB874C929269C42DB4528443.jpg

Looks about a meter wide and a meter long....maybe a tad more longer.

How about a nice multi stem birch or variety of birch tree??

Take out the bit of Mypex/weed barrier and carefully dig down 1st to see if there are any underground utilities there (gas,water,power)....these may be as deep as 600mm down in the ground..so check this out aswell.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭Fingers Mcginty

cheers ...how deep should the hole be dug for a birch?

As deep as the trees rootball is...dont plant the tree lower in the ground than the soil mark on the bottom of the tree itself.:)

Tree soil mark should be level with the actual ground you are planting in.

Jacquemontii Birch might be nice in that spot too...you see these lining pathsways/roads in quite a few urban housing estates and countryside/rural driveways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

As much as i love them a multi stem birch is going to get too big for that space, its a spreading tree. Look around your area I'm sure you'll see some and ask yourself honestly if its going to be too big. I think in time you or you neighbor will be cutting it back, a standard may not be much better.
    Sonnenblumen suggested this tree for a similar sized space last year to me, its Sorbus Autunm Spire. I wasn't gone on it from the pictures but in person it's a different story. Beautiful ferny foliage in spring, followed by white lace cap flowers, with berries that turn from green to a vibrant yellow which contrast well with the firey red foliage in Autunm. It has a neat columnar habbit so is perfect for that space. I would dig below the depth of the pot at least half to add in plenty of organic matter and twice the width for similar.
    http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/gardenplants/1688402

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Lmao, I saw the thread title, and thought, betcha paddy147 is in here recommending a multi-stem birch. Boo-ya! :D

Birch would be far too large for that space. Multistemmed even worse. Forget about it.

Get something much smaller, a small flowering cherry, or a shrub like photinia red robin.

The sorbus suggestion is good too. Nice colour with that.

• Advertisement

pwurple wrote: »
    Lmao, I saw the thread title, and thought, betcha paddy147 is in here recommending a multi-stem birch. Boo-ya! :D

Birch would be far too large for that space. Multistemmed even worse. Forget about it.

Get something much smaller, a small flowering cherry, or a shrub like photinia red robin.

The sorbus suggestion is good too. Nice colour with that.

Cant be any worse than you and your Aldi Camellia posts.

You never bothered your backside to respond to that thread.

To embarrassed to reply when you got proven wrong eh?????:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭Daithio12

paddy147 wrote: »
    Cant be any worse than you and your Aldi Camellia posts.

You never bothered your backside to respond to that thread.

To embarrassed to reply when you got proven wrong eh?????:D:D
    Jaysus Paddy, you seem to getting the hump a lot lately. Relax the kaks man.

Op like mentioned earlier a Photinia red robin would be ideal and contrast nicely with what's there already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

OP - only a fool would plant a multi-stem birch in such an unsuitable and restrictive space. :o

Daithio12 wrote: »
    Jaysus Paddy, you seem to getting the hump a lot lately. Relax the kaks man.

Op like mentioned earlier a Photinia red robin would be ideal and contrast nicely with what's there already.

You have a fixation with the word "hump".:pac::pac:....and regarding another thread too.

Why you even learnt something new yourself too.;)

Its all good in the hood.:D

OP - only a fool would plant a multi-stem birch in such an unsuitable and restrictive space. :o

And you dont ever see various varieties of birches planted along the sides of roadways or paths and in garden/commercial building borders all around Ireland then,do you??

They cant be specificly grown,trained or target pruned to suit either,no??

Hmmmmmm???:pac:

http://apps.rhs.org.uk/plantselector/plant?plantid=2180

http://www.amateurgardening.com/plants/multi-stem-tree-planting/

http://apps.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/Profile.aspx?pid=717#section2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Any chance we can dispense with the side-show lads and stick to making suggestions for Fingers???

They cant be specificly grown,trained or target pruned to suit either

I doubt the OP wants to plant a tree that can grow to 30m, and then spend the next decade training and pruning it to fit a blatently unsuitable site. It's idiotic.

I doubt the OP wants to plant a tree that can grow to 30m, and then spend the next decade training and pruning it to fit a blatently unsuitable site. It's idiotic.

So true and yes it does seem so obvious?

But perhaps when the OP tires of the regular and voluminous cutting back which the MSB will demand, he can always has the option of moving and consider living in the tree. Not sure what the neighbour will do.

The other thing to consider is to start saving now to make provision for repairing the inevitable and consequential damage to the driveway surface (possibly on both sides of boundary).

OP - of the many important factors when trying to decide on selecting a tree, on eof the most important especially when planting in a restrictive space, is root type and size. Deep rooted trees are fine in open spaces but not in urban driveways where damage to utilities etc is a major risk, also deep rooted trees tend to absorb a huge amount of moisture which could be very disruptive and manifesting through local subsidence, easily an dogften seen in cobblelock driveways. This latter form of damage is most certainly inevitable with trees with surface growing roots.

If you are intent on planting a tree, I would advise you to do some research. One suggestion was for a Sorbus acuparia 'Autumn Spire' which is a tree extensively used in urban areas, and would be suitable for you requirements. However if you require something which does not have damaging root structure, shed leaf, complement the existing planting and will not require any significant maintenance then I would suggest you consider planting Viburnum tinus 'Eve Price', this is a smaller version of the traditional version and a very popular shrub. Ensure you get the 'Eve Price' variety as the regular Vib Tinus is a much larger (height and spread) growing shrub.

For a more compact growing option but with striking contrast you might
    consider Pittosporum Tom Thumb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭jezko

Seeing as how the position is at the entrance to your driveway maybe consider a plant that won't block your view as you back/drive out your drive. and give you a view of people/kids on the footpath.

You are in a Coastal Area (Bettystown?) So maybe a Plant that will suit this... Maybe a Yucca ... Liked the look of Golden Sword.

http://www.finegardening.com/plantguide/yucca-filamentosa-golden-sword-adams-needle.aspx
    Seen Friends in Bettystown/Mornington and noticed most gardens had a tendency to flooding/Heavy Soils... so maybe that spot is not suitable for a yucca.

Yep certain birch trees are nice and can be planted in small spaces (even though the nay sayers think not)...as shown in the links I previously provided and my pics now show.

Multi stems,weeping birches and jackmontei variations can be easily pruned/maintained to give a nice slender upwards or downwards shape too.

And it doesnt take very much time or effort to do it either.:)

Did you read my posts fully and then read the RHS links at all????

Seems like you didnt.

There are also certain variations or birches and some only grow to around around 6-10 meters tall.

B. utilis ‘Moonbeam’: Possibly the most compact form of the Himalayan birches with white peeling bark & glossy dark green leaves. Height approximately 6-10m (20-33ft)......

People look after their garden and maintain a garden and dont let their gardens go to ruin.

Same for a tree and its very easy and simple to do..not time consuming like you are making out.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭kynzvart

There are lots of small trees that don't grow very big, and are quite compact in size I would take that photo you have to a good garden center and ask them for advice on what would be best to plant there.I would put a nice everygreen Sky Rocket there doesn't take up a lot of room is very slender and you can under plant it with smaller shrubs or a Japanese Maple they can be kept in a good shape.Good luck with what ever you pick.

kynzvart wrote: »
    There are lots of small trees that don't grow very big, and are quite compact in size I would take that photo you have to a good garden center and ask them for advice on what would be best to plant there.I would put a nice everygreen Sky Rocket there doesn't take up a lot of room is very slender and you can under plant it with smaller shrubs or a Japanese Maple they can be kept in a good shape.Good luck with what ever you pick.

IMO Skyrockets and Maples would not be suitable for this position, as both species are very vulnerable to wind scorch.

Surely anything growing to 6m -10m (30'+) can hardly be considered compact? An oxymoron if ever there was one!

IMO Skyrockets and Maples would not be suitable for this position, as both species are very vulnerable to wind scorch.

Surely anything growing to 6m -10m (30'+) can hardly be considered compact? An oxymoron if ever there was one!

Agreed, also japanese maples in particular tend to have quite a wide habit, not suitable for an area where a gate needs to open I would say. Also, they are admired mostly for their wide arching habit, it would be an awful shame to cut them.

• Advertisement

Sonnenblumen I have several Sky rockets growing in my garden they have been there for over 25 years and I can assure you they are not 30ft they are not any taller than 6ft and very slender.2 are in a very exposed site never had problems with scorching , Japanese Mapels don't like the early morning sun,I have one planted in a similar position to the photograph looks beautiful been there 10 years it gets a light pruning to keep it in shape, never had any problems with them but then its everyone to their own taste.What works for me may not work for you.

Sonnenblumen I have several Sky rockets growing in my garden they have been there for over 25 years and I can assure you they are not 30ft they are not any taller than 6ft and very slender.2 are in a very exposed site never had problems with scorching , Japanese Mapels don't like the early morning sun,I have one planted in a similar position to the photograph looks beautiful been there 10 years it gets a light pruning to keep it in shape, never had any problems with them but then its everyone to their own taste.What works for me may not work for you.

Good for you and I am delighted that your Skyrockets do not suffer on an exposed site.

BTW the general wisdom on Maples is that the trees are not pruned which is why it is so important that plants are carefully selected in the first instance.

My point about heights was in reference to what might be considered a 'compact height' and had nothing whatsoever to do with Skyrockets!

Everyone knows Skyrockets are small and wispy.

Good for you and I am delighted that your Skyrockets do not suffer on an exposed site.

BTW the general wisdom on Maples is that the trees are not pruned which is why it is so important that plants are carefully selected in the first instance.

My point about heights was in reference to what might be considered a 'compact height' and had nothing whatsoever to do with Skyrockets!

Everyone knows Skyrockets are small and wispy.

I beg to differ with you Sonnenblumen, It seems not everyone knows that Sky rockets are small and wispy as you put it.In your first reply to me you said they grew to 30 ft.big difference.Now as for Maples ( Acers) 200 species Variety Acer paimatum Classed as a japanese maple grows to 12 ft or more, small tree can be pruned not a cascading form.I have 2 of these and they are trees, if you want a cascading form the most beautiful one is Inaba Shidare ( leaves of the rice plant ) grows to 2 -3 ft best grown in tubs.

I beg to differ with you Sonnenblumen, It seems not everyone knows that Sky rockets are small and wispy as you put it.In your first reply to me you said they grew to 30 ft.big difference.Now as for Maples ( Acers) 200 species Variety Acer paimatum Classed as a japanese maple grows to 12 ft or more, small tree can be pruned not a cascading form.I have 2 of these and they are trees, if you want a cascading form the most beautiful one is Inaba Shidare ( leaves of the rice plant ) grows to 2 -3 ft best grown in tubs.

Kynzvart, i think you are taking sonnenblumen up wrong. The 6-10m was a reference to the post from paddy147 which was on about birches growing to that height. Not skyrockets.

Also, i think it is an awful shame to trim beautiful acers. They are stunning when left to their own devices. The most pleasing way way to garden for me is to choose a plant which is happy and comfortable in its surrounds, and can grow to show its natural form. Having to prune it, or train it, or buy it special soil, or put up wind breaks, or any of the other interventions which would be needed to shoe-horn a plant into this site, seem to suggest that perhaps it is not the best choice for this situation.

Less is more sometimes. Keep a light touch with plants.

I've no idea what you're on about but I would suggest you re-read my posts, the english used is rather plain and would have thought obvious. :o

I have a pretty good grasp on the diversity and growing habits of acers.

went to a garden center and on their advice put a eucalyptus in. i know it grows tall but ill keep it from getting too big. what do yiz reckon?

went to a garden center and on their advice put a eucalyptus in. i know it grows tall but ill keep it from getting too big. what do yiz reckon?

Might be of some use to you,depending on what variety you have bought and planted.

http://apps.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/profile.aspx?pid=136

http://apps.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/profile.aspx?pid=361

You're joking? I would love to know which garden centre you visited, it is absolutely crazy stuff! Eucalyptus:eek:

If a eucalyptus was planted in such a spot, I wouldn't be a bit surprise if you received a letter from the authorities or a legal entity.

You're joking? I would love to know which garden centre you visited, it is absolutely crazy stuff! Eucalyptus:eek:

If a eucalyptus was planted in such a spot, I wouldn't be a bit surprise if you received a letter from the authorities or a legal entity.

wouldnt it be ok if tamed? if not no hassle...can easily be dug back out. :)

• Advertisement

wouldnt it be ok if tamed? if not no hassle...can easily be dug back out. :)

What variety did you buy and plant?

Lots of sizes/varieties and pruning methods for maintaining a tree size on the RHS links on previous page.:)

What variety did you buy and plant?

Lots of sizes/varieties and pruning methods for maintaining a tree size on the RHS links on previous page.:)

not sure paddy.

not sure paddy.

Was there a narrow wrap around plastic or paper tag on the tree?

Usually there will be and this will have the name/variety of the tree printed/written on it.:)

Name might even be on your reciept too.

Was there a narrow wrap around plastic or paper tag on the tree?

Usually there will be and this will have the name/variety of the tree printed/written on it.:)

Name might even be on your reciept too.

unfortunately not mate. ill buzz them tomorrow.

hmm. I reckon this might be a wind-up. Did you actually show them that photo and they said eucalyptus? Was it an actual garden center, or something else, like a petrol station selling hedging?

Eucalyptus, depending on the variety, but the usual ones sold here really wouldn't be a good idea in that spot. You will have trouble with just about every aspect of it. They grow like absolute rockets, damage your wall, your gate, your driveway and if your neighbours recognise it they will (rightly) be annoyed.

I'd bring that back and get something different.

hmm. I reckon this might be a wind-up. Did you actually show them that photo and they said eucalyptus? Was it an actual garden center, or something else, like a petrol station selling hedging?

Eucalyptus, depending on the variety, but the usual ones sold here really wouldn't be a good idea in that spot. You will have trouble with just about every aspect of it. They grow like absolute rockets, damage your wall, your gate, your driveway and if your neighbours recognise it they will (rightly) be annoyed.

not a wind up. if i cut back the tree each year and keep it small enough would that also in itself slow tree root growth? or would the roots grow regardless of whats happening above ground?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭prospect

I don't think Eucalyptus has a big root system anyway.

Personally I'd have filled that space with some Dogwood and Hebe's.

I think Sonnenblumen you are doing a bit of back tracking now. not all Birch trees grow to 30ft or more. Fastigiata (Birch Tree) columnar shape, ideal as a specimen tree or in an area where space is limited. Betula Jacquemontii ( Birch) takes 20 years to grow to 20ft tall slender tree, these are not huge trees.I don't recall telling any one they should plant a Birch tree, you seem to be referring to Paddy147 suggestion on planting one.If I recall the poster asked for suggestions as to a tree to plant in the space he had available in his front garden.I didn't see you putting any names of trees forward that would be suitable.This is an open forum and all members are entitled to their opinion what works for one may not work for another, and its only good manners to respect that.

I have to agree with pwurple he is quite right Eucalyptus, should be left in the outback of Australia they do cause problems but its your choice,its what you like and if you can manage to keep it smallish good luck to you.

not a wind up. if i cut back the tree each year and keep it small enough would that also in itself slow tree root growth? or would the roots grow regardless of whats happening above ground?

You're talking about this tree, in your front garden. What do you think?

eucalyptus_deglupta-base.jpg?w=490&h=367

I think Sonnenblumen you are doing a bit of back tracking now. not all Birch trees grow to 30ft or more. Fastigiata (Birch Tree) columnar shape, ideal as a specimen tree or in an area where space is limited. Betula Jacquemontii ( Birch) takes 20 years to grow to 20ft tall slender tree, these are not huge trees.I don't recall telling any one they should plant a Birch tree, you seem to be referring to Paddy147 suggestion on planting one.If I recall the poster asked for suggestions as to a tree to plant in the space he had available in his front garden.I didn't see you putting any names of trees forward that would be suitable.This is an open forum and all members are entitled to their opinion what works for one may not work for another, and its only good manners to respect that.

Seems you have a poor command of the english language, because if you read my posts you will discover that I did in fact make soem suggestions (mainly shrubs but 1 tree) because I do not believe that the space is really suitable for planting a tree.

In my opinion, Him Birches are not columnar and in fact under the right conditions, can reach 20' < 20 years. I didn't read that in some supermarket gardening book but see it everyday in my own garden.

You've got your opinion and I've got mine, and that suits me fine.

• Advertisement

Seems you have a poor command of the english language, because if you read my posts you will discover that I did in fact make soem suggestions (mainly shrubs but 1 tree) because I do not believe that the space is really suitable for planting a tree.

In my opinion, Him Birches are not columnar and in fact under the right conditions, can reach 20' < 20 years. I didn't read that in some supermarket gardening book but see it everyday in my own garden.
    You've got your opinion and I've got mine, and that suits me fine.

You have no concept of posting in a decent manner and you dont seem to know that or understand that other people know more than you give them credit for.

Sorry,but you have indeed backtracked on what you have posted earlier here,and you just post these stupid and pointless bitchy posts (from page 1 onwards) for no reason,other than to try and be "the man" and look down on other people who post here.

With regards supermarket gardening books......now what the hell are you on about????:confused::rolleyes:

Cop yourself on once and for all will you.

Why dont you show us your garden and trees then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭wildlifeboy

my 2 cents. i have a birch in a silimar positions. its the silver birch with the peeling bark variety. dont know the latin name. what surprised me is how little it has grown in the last 7 years. maybe this is like the ones that take 30 years to reach a decent height. i think it may be ok in that area. i would go with an acer/maple in that area personally or some decorative bamboo and place the container underground to stop the roots expanding

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 391 ✭✭Realtine

How horrible most of you "experts" are in here.:(

Anyhow OP might be a bit late but this is my favourite shrub/small tree in my garden.

http://www.johnstowngardencentre.ie/amelanchier-lamarkii-snowy-mespilus-or-juneberry-tree/amelanchier_ballerinapd.aspx

Nice size, lovely colours - easily maintained.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭wildlifeboy

I also now know who the "Supermarket Gardening Book" swipe is aimed at......

Its aimed at ME...because I bought some RHS gardening books in Aldi recently.

http://aldi.ie/ie/html/offers/special_buys3_26484.htm

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    DK/RHS gardening books (various varieties also including,garden maintanance,veggie growing,and fruit growing books) for 4 euro in Aldi at the moment.

I dont care that I bought them in Aldi,infact I was happy to buy them there at a good price.......but this seems to be a problem for 1 particular person here though.:pac::rolleyes::(

They are bloody good,handy and usefull books to have and DK/RHS are widely aclaimed and a very good combination too.:)

ok thanks for the replies. im outta here.

No need to leave.:)

Any pics of the tree in its new location?

By any chance,did you find out the variety?

Dont forget to look through the RHS links on the various tree types too.....(Page 2 post 28)

Thanks.:)

ok here goes

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement