Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Irish' food London

Options
  • 07-04-2013 5:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Age old question Im sure. Would anyone know the best spot to get Barry's tea and Tayto etc in London ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Budgens or Morrison's. Also a few Irish shops scattered around north and west London.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

You can get Barrys in the Foyles cafe on Charing Cross Road amongst other places. There are several other places that have other Irish mainstays - my local is the In & Out newsagents on Kilburn High Road (opposite the State, an old cinema building). They have Club Orange, Tayto, Clonakilty pudding and a few other bits & pieces you might be after. Mandy's in Willesden is also supposed to be very good, though I've not been there in years.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 spacelucy

A lot of the bigger Tescos have an Irish section in their "World Foods" - the ones in Harrow and Wembley do Barry's Tea, Club Orange, red lemonade, Tayto, Ballymaloe Relish, Chef sauces etc.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Mod note: I've deleted a couple of off-topic posts which had nothing useful to say in the context of the OP's question. If you don't have a useful or helpful answer, please refrain from posting.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Nika Bolokov

Thanks so much everyone. I never thought I'd ask such a question but you just get a craving now and again !

• Advertisement

Thanks so much everyone. I never thought I'd ask such a question but you just get a craving now and again !

It can be really useful if you're having a pang of homesickness too; it's not quite as good as getting home to see family & friends, but it helps more than you might think :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

Fysh wrote: »
    Mod note: I've deleted a couple of off-topic posts which had nothing useful to say in the context of the OP's question. If you don't have a useful or helpful answer, please refrain from posting.

i had started a reply to the post you deleted yesterday but chose to bite my tongue and hold off. especially since the tea suggested is like sawdust.
    cheers for deleting it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 389 ✭✭Jamey

There's a Mandy's (Siopa Na nGael) in Tooting also. Stocking all things Irish! I haven't been in there yet myself but my great-aunt swears by it for getting proper Irish black & white pudding.

Also have all the Irish papers, and even the smaller ones (that cover a specific county or city) as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,373 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Jamey wrote: »
    There's a Mandy's (Siopa Na nGael) in Tooting also. Stocking all things Irish! I haven't been in there yet myself but my great-aunt swears by it for getting proper Irish black & white pudding.

Also have all the Irish papers, and even the smaller ones (that cover a specific county or city) as far as I know.
    Now this I miss. Will have to stick my head in there at some stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭ClashCityRocker

There are a few Londis stores around the place that sell a lot of that stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Jamey wrote: »

A great little shop; they occasionally used to have Smithwicks in there, if you were lucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

If I was particularly hungover when I lived in Amsterdam I used to cycle about 3 miles to get a bottle of Lucozade Original from an Irish / English shop. It was probably the most refreshing drink I've ever had. I can fully empathise with the op.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

old hippy wrote: »
    A great little shop; they occasionally used to have Smithwicks in there, if you were lucky.

Awful sh*te to be drinking when there's delicious ale flowing from every pub!

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭duffarama

The Irish shop on Lordship Lane in East Dulwich is where I go for Barry's and Tayto.

They also have a grand range of meats, soups, porridge, all the regional papers and sweets from your childhood!

I'm contrary at the best of times, so does anyone know where to find some King crisps?

Advertisement