Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2013 - Log

Options
  • 07-04-2013 5:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭

Those veterans of boards will know me from DCM 2010 threads and sporadically after that through the years since then but I have come back two years to have another bite at the apple which is DCM 2013.

My focus in the past few months has been to bulk up and actually fill out a little which I have done and am close to my target weight of bout 100kg but to do this I did neglect my running fitness slightly through the hours spent in the gym...

I aim to keep as close to my current size as possible while attempting to beat the following PB's

5km - 20.30
    5 miles - 35.27
    10km - 43.23
    10 miles - 75.45
    13.1 miles - 1 hr 43mins 34 seconds
    26.2 miles - 4 hrs 06 mins 22 seconds

All these goals are breakable over the coming weeks and months an hopefully I will have the opportunity to post when I break them and to what extent.

Finally. My first log of the 2013 training seasion.

6km in 28m 48 seconds...The plan had been to hit a steady pace and run for 8 miles but considering I have only run a handful of times since xmas this was a bit ambitious... I revised it down to running a comfortable short first run at a steady pace which I could maintain without difficulty. This was an easy run and shook out a few cobwebs

Target km for the week... 40km....... 34km to go.... :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Perkina3

Day two - Session two:
    Another run to blow out the cobwebs and get my legs back used to running on a regular basis.... Ran 6km again today at similar pace to yesterday in what was an easy pace again....Finished only bout 30 seconds slower than yesterday and am happy to see that I was able to keep a good idea of what the pace was throughout which is a promising sign that I probably haven't forgotten everything from when I took the training as seriously before.

Pace was an 4:53 per km for a total run time of 29:19

On a good note my diet which I have struggled with I think I am beginning to get back under control after a period where I probably overindulged slightly.

Target distance for the week: 40km - 28km to go

Tomorrow, a weighted run with 25 kg on my back for 6 km......Accompanied by my brother though he doesn't know it yet ;) :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I note also from reading a couple other threads that there are guys who can compute competitive targets for PB's...Would someone be kind enough to do this for me as I am not sure at what level should I be aiming for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Welcome back Perky!

Soooooo Didn't post yesterday when I was meant to but had to switch todays rest day to yesterday because I had some very bad stomach cramps and was in no mood for running at all......

So tuesday was a rest day...

Wednesday.... Went out for what was meant to be an 8km run but looks like it was only bout 7.4km so short changed myself slightly I think there...... Oh well.... So again it was very clear to me that my legs still getting used to running as it was probably only after I went past the 4km mark did I settle and feel comfortable with what was a slow and steady plodding pace.... Again on the good side timing remains steady between 7.45 - 8 mins for each mile which for my first week I am pretty happy with... Only down side with the run was I had been rushing all day today and snatched a rather unhealthy very late and very quick lunch which then left me feeling very unhappy during the run. All in all have run just shy of 20 km in my 3 sessions and while I am frustrated at the amount of fitness I have lost compared to even december I am glad I am starting to get the miles back....

Now... to make sure I don't start dropping weight.... Hmmmmm

Target km for the week: 40km - 20.4 remaining..... LSR in the next couple of days for 8 miles... Longest run I have done in 2 years.... eeeeep:o:o:o:o

Apologies for the long delay in posting again.... So have hit a couple of bumps since last I posted on this

I had a car accident so was out for a few days with that but wasn't seriously hurt thank god and then just getting stuck into my new job has meant that I have been doing long long days.....

Finally, I have found out that Dublin 2013 is no longer a runner due to a number of work commitments potentially clashing with it so I have had to scrap it and go for another marathon which has yet to be decided.

But first session back was a 4.5 mile weighted tab (Fast walk w/20kg). Done in an hour so not bad considering....Though want to get it down to 10 min miles so a lil bit of work to do wth the guys but was happy

More to follow again from now

This is becoming quite difficult to do atm ha...I am currently doing 12 hour days at least so the availability of time for phys is limited atm unfortunately.

Got out for a 2.5km jog on Monday and then did a small amount of press ups and sit ups...Core work...

Tuesday - I am currently getting a couple of ppl up to fitness for a course was out tabbing with 20kg on the back which we did in 64 mins...Considering the pace was slightly slower I was very fresh. I also did a core session which was a short sharp 40 minutes but if I do that a few days a week will see me dropping the little bit of puppy fat I have picked up over the last month from being chained to a desk.

Today.... Day was just too long and I was wrecked. Taking it as an impromptu rest day as I did manage to push a lot of things back so I should have more time after another busy day tomorrow.

My big issue currently however is diet and if anyone can help with this I would appreciate it.

Also any suggestions as to what marathon would be a good one to complete now that I have been told work will not be able to release me for Dublin this year

• Advertisement

Yeah the 9th was a long as day in the end. 0800 - 0000. 16 hr day damn near killed me :P!

Weekend was a write off due to family commitments and buying a car So we move on.

Monday: Was some core work but nothing massive
    Tuesday: Rest day
    Wednesday: I hadn't smashed it this week getting myself back to training on a regular basis because I had a 12 mile speed march which I was competing in. The concept was to run/shuffle/tab 12 miles. Did ok and smashed out 5 miles in good order of bout 11 minutes a mile (This is being done with 60lbs on your back). Unfortunately I made a rather large big mistake with my nutrition and literally went from feeling like a million euro to feeling like I was going to pass out in bout half a km. Never had this before but definitely a lesson learnt. Finished it 2 hrs 40 mins which is a respectable enough time of about 13 min miles over the longer distance. Considering I had next to no training I am confident when I do this next year to knock a good 20 - 25 minutes of the time.
    Thursday - Rest - Was very achy after the march the day before. In particular my hips which felt very stiff and sore. Muscle wise I seem to be alright though I had spent a fair time alternating between cold and hot water in the shower before using a bath. (I didn't think it would work but I can vouch and say it does)
    Friday: Busy day in work but as I was still pretty sore from wednesday I chose to do a 2.5 mile ish run in bout 21 mins to stretch out the legs and get started into a routine again. Felt tough if I am honest. Hips were sore and legs have never felt so heavy. Not even after I went for a couple of recovery runs after DCM 2010.

I have been rather skatty with updating this since I restarted but I will be endeavoring to at least do this kind of post once a week. I am struggling with the motivation to train as I have fallen so badly out of practice so any advice from the old reliables would be greatly appreciated.

Monday 20th - Short training day. Did a 10 km bike challenge.... It was to do 10km in 15 minutes....moving up from levels 4 - 9 for the first five km before trying to maintain 130 reps through out. The final 5 km were done at level 9. I completed it in 17.47 which apparently was respectable for a first whack at it...Didn't feel like it!!

I had planned to get out for second session (A short run) but time just got away from me and my lack of sleep over this weekend caught up with me. A short and sharp session today but at least I got out which is more than I can say for the last couple of weeks. A run of maybe 30 - 40 mins tomorrow is the aim....

Two days posting in a row!!! Jesus I am on a roll!!

Tuesday 21st - Plan was to go for 30 min easy but had to drop it down to 20 mins easy as legs were quite tight after the cycle challenge yesterday and given that I am trying for the second time in a month to try get a bit of consistency to my training I don't want to overdo it for the first two weeks. Run felt good and was a carbon copy of Friday 17th. Did it a minute quicker than then and the legs felt a lot looser and fresher. Downside is I have realised that I have lost a lot of the power I had in the legs last year. I will aim to start doing a couple of sprint sessions beginning maybe mid June.

The targeted sessions for this week are 6 sessions so two down so far.

I also have a mate who is putting together a couple of interesting cross fit sessions so keep an eye here to see what he has in store :P...

Final work on piece as I have said before is diet and I have made a small inroad with it but I need to have family stop sending me car packages from home with Irish goods!! :P

So to update everyone... Soon after my last post I got spammed on a course for 2 weeks with no internet access and got back late last week... Some training done but couldn't get consistent runs in due to late finishes some days

Started back friday and got bout 2/3rds through a session before I got called away but here goes

Friday.... 2 of 3x300 (150 uphill) with 20 pressups, situps and knees to chest after each 300m rep

2x 400/500m strides

Saturday - Was set for a slow recovery at target pace of 9m/mile but got a pretty severe attack of hayfever and had to cancel that literally as I was making to get changed to go out.

Sunday - 1.7 miles slow run - Legs not great but pace was ok. Nothing spectacular

Monday - Fitness test. 52 press ups, 87 sit ups and 11.08 1.5 mile run (This was a fail in the grand scheme of things but the bloke I was running with knocked almost a minute off his time so was happy because of that.)

Tuesday. 3.5 miles Avg pace 7.46
    Legs were a little heavy but this was a meh tempo run. Lots to do to get to my target of sub 35 min 5 mile by start of October. But I am getting a bit of consistency where I had none before so slowly but surely we are getting somewhere.

Plan for later in the week

Wednesday - At a conference and leaving at 0610 in the morning so good day to take a rest though considering a short 2 mile recovery run.....Any advice for me here?

Thursday - Morning - PFA like Monday - I am running again to try get this lkad to pass so he can go on a course

Friday - 4 mile Slow run target time 8.30

Saturday - TBC

I also finally managed to get a good run tracker so I can now accurately log my run times :)

Ok so a wee update since last I spoke... Got 2 more 3.5mile runs and a 1.5 mile Fitness test in on from the 17 - 20 June with one rest day in the middle. I was then on holidays in Bulgaria till Saturday and was still suffering from lack of sleep sunday so didn't train for 10 days effectively.

This week however I am back on track:

The plan had been for

Monday: 3.5 miles @7.45 pace

I actually did this at 8.01 pace. Was disappointing really as I was looking to make this a tempo run as my first one back after a holiday. I actually really struggled on this. My legs were like lead and I ended up just trying to finish the run as I did not enjoy it at all. My hayfever was particularly bad as well making my breathing a constant battle. As I have been saying for the last month now I am really lacking fitness and atm am suffering from a lack of motivation and drive as the goal I am training for is 6 months away and I do not have a training partner for at least some of my sessions.

Tuesday: Rest - Was meant to be Wednesdays session but due to a 2100 finish in work I had to chin it off in order to get some food. This session will be made up on Sunday with a slow jog.

Wednesday:
    Hill reps - 20x120m in the following sequence

5 time with 2.30 rest at the end and a walk down the hill after each rep...
    4 times with 2.0 rest
    3 times with 1.30
    2 times with 60 secs rest
    1 time with 30 secs rest
    2 times with 60 seconds
    3 times

Basically a lopsided pyramid to begin with... THe aim being to get this to solid pyramid by the end of august at the latest

How it actually went.

Started out pretty well actually... I was smashing them out with my times ranging from 19.75 seconds to 21.5 seconds with the majority in around the 20 to 20.5 second mark. On the 16th rep however, I got a really sharp pain in the ould noggin and was seeing double for a little while so decided to call it short with 4 reps and a short cool down left to do.... Disappointing that I hadn't finished but it had been a long day as started work at 0530 this morning so I admitted defeat today.

Thursday - (Planned)
    3.5 mile slow jog - 8.45 pace ( with 20 min core work ) 0600
    PT session with company - circuits 0830
    Weights session - Chest

Friday - Planned
    4 mile tab w/20kg
    10km bike w/abs session for 20 mins and Legs work with weights.

Saturday - Planned
    Tempo Run - 3.5 miles@ 8 min mile or under
    30min core

Sunday - Planned
    Slow run - 3.5 miles @9.00 mile with 30 mins core

Obviously the above is a plan and the hope is to achieve the majority of these sessions during the course of the week though I will update near the end of the week how that went. I am still trying to get used to early morning sessions. Also you will have noticed that I do a lot of 3.5 mile runs but that is the circuit I am runnign atm. I will start to extend the distance prob from 15 July.

As I am always saying please please comment on the training I am doing as while I am not always able to post all my training I do at least keep an eye on the forums for a couple mins each day. I post when the opportunity arises to do so. Thks again.

• Advertisement

Twice in one week...I am getting good! :P

Right the training plan has gone to pot due to jobs being sprung on me wednesday evening but I am still maanging to do some work.

Thursday: Short core session. Wasn't too difficult as was getting introduced to some new exercises. Was beneficial though and I can see the benefit of doing some tyre flipping sessions :P

Friday: Well it was meant to be quite a hectic day training wise for me today because I was expecting to finish about 1300 this afternoon.... Didn't go to plan and was out at 1800 with some unexpected news which leaves me trying to pack up a room in 4 days :P

Got out for a slow run. Target time was 8.45 and it began well. I am notorious for not being able to keep to the time and it was true here. I did an 8.35 first mile which in the grand scheme of things was not too bad. I then proceeded to do two 8.20's without realising which put my average down to about 8.22. All in all I laboured through the first half of the run in what was a hot and very heavy day. I felt better in the second half but still feel like I have a good few cobwebs still to shake away! All in all just glad to be at least getting a bit of consistency in and getting some miles down each week...

Hoping to extend the distance (time permitting in the weeks going forward.) Distance 3.50 miles. Time: 29.04

Distance this week: 9 miles

Ok so training over the week and monday. Not bad all told...

Saturday: Impromptu rest day as family visit ran over and didn't get out till late.

Sunday: This was a tempo run aimed at c. 7.50 time give or take. I started out well. 7.45 first lap meant I was running in decent time. I continued for the remainder but found the going tough due to the hayfever affecting my breathing but considering my struggle with runs to date it was not a bad effort all the same. I was content lets say with the run. Total time 27.51 7.57 PM.

Monday: Circuit session: Bit of a beast this as was going for a good 20 - 25 minutes with this. It was a mix of running (Pretty slowly albeit) and doing exercises with a medicine ball (pressup, burpie, shoulder press and jumping squat). Had thought to do a second training session today but tiredness got the better of me.

Plan for tuesday:
    Weights and abs in the AM

Slow 4 miles run PM - Target time 8.30 per mile.
    This will be a new route so time may be slower but hoping for a decent run tomorrow to follow up the sessions over the last couple of days.

Wednesday:
    AM - 10km challenge..... 10km bike in 15 mins + 10km

PM weights and abs

Thursday:
    5.25miles slow - Aim 8.45 per mile

PM weights and abs.

I also think I found me some races :D

Nothing to write home about yet I don't think but should keep the ould motivation there :D

Ok so got a few days training last week. A mixture of weights and 3 runs.... Was a busy week but had quite a busy weekend with things so decided for today I wouldn't kill myself.

Monday:
    Arms weights session - 50 mins

CV
    1.65 miles in 13 minutes plus 5 km flat out on the bike

I am not going to lie... I am getting really frustrated now with my running. I cannot seem to get any kind of pace back into my legs. I have fitness tests every 6 months and up until this point despite not being the fastest man in the world I never had a problem. I am really struggling and my confidence is beginning to go at a pretty serious rate of knots.

Tuesday:
    50 mins chest - AM
    Unit PT (probably circuits but not sure)

A slow run off camp.... Going to try for C. 5 miles....

This may have to change depending on some news I am expecting tomorrow but thats the plan anyway.

Tuesday:
    Got two phys sessions in this morning

Back and shoulders for 40 mins in a circuit.... 5 sets of each exercise.... 7 exercises Was constant but it was good an quite tough.

Also got a sprint and circuit session soon after.

Wednesday.

Tempo run over 4 miles at 7.56 per minute. Aim was 8 mins so pretty happy.

Best run I have had since I came back running again as felt fresh and had a good running cadence despite the mugginess!

Thursday: Hard ****ty day in work so had a rest day.

Friday: 6 mile tab this morning with 20kg. I was meant to go to the gym this evening when I finished but they are closed so currently mulling over whether I should go for another run wait and go tomorrow in the evening along with a gym session in the morning

Suggestion please.

I am getting there with training twice a day. Aimed for two this week and have achieved that.

Next week I want to aim for 4/5 days a week and see how we get on.

Obviously I have to test and adjust my planned sessions based on the work I have but I am heading into a quiet period in work for a week or two fingers crossed!!! :P

Sat: was v. light day.... Not a whole lot went on

Sunday: 6 miles. 53 mins... 8.51

This was horrendous..... It was 27 degrees when I went out and I relearned the lesson hydration. I was in clip for bout 3 miles... Seriously was by far the hardest run I have done in a while!!

Monday: Rest as I had a fitness test the following day and I was in clip from the anti malarials I have been on....Could not control my body temperature and was flushed all the time. This had been like the worst of the last couple weeks

Tuesday:
    Fitness test: 1.5 miles - 10.15 - Dog****..... Seriously the worst I have EVER done.... It didn't help that I hadn't really slept and still felt like **** from monday!

Wednesday: Rest - Unplanned but needed it due to work! Was a long day

Thursday:
    First speed session: 7x400m 90,86,89,91,93,99,93.... I was trying a new running technique and so it was taking a bit of getting used to... The 99 was my old technique...

1 x 800 - 3.12

All in all, I am not sure what to make of it tbh.... I wanted it to be a few seconds quicker but I am having to realise I have lost A LOT of speed so working on aiming for 2/3 speed sessons a week... I am targeting 85 seconds for 400 by end of Sept at the latest.

1200m slow to warm down

Friday: 5 miles - This will be slow.... hoping bout 8.45 a mile

What's "clip"?

In clip - meaning youre in a **** state or not feeling well at all.....

Today: Looking like a rest day unfortunately.... THat session last night has properly hurt my calves which are very tight... I am going to do an easy run tomorrow and another speed session Sunday...

We shall see though... Trying a bath to see iif that loosens up the muscles as a last resort!

Ok I know that up to the 02 August I did at least a session a day with runs ranging for 3.5 - 5 miles each day.. There was one 1.5 mile which was done in 10.15 and a rest day.

Following that... From the 2 - 5th of august I did not train due to a change of location and acclimitisation to increased heat and altitude.... It was a lick!!

6th August:

2 hour core session which is nicknamed the mentalist! Abs, upper body and legs.... I will write you out what it is later in the week when I have more time but needless to say it was tough

7th August:

2 mile tab in 15kg but it wasn't a fast pace as still getting used to the climate.

90 minute chest session

8th August:
    Again as still acclimatizing I am not planning on going near running for another week from today as by then I should have had two weeks to sort myself out.

Did 25km on ex bike in 42.20 which I was quite happy with given the heat and also that it is an improvement on previous best by a good 2/3 minutes....

Also a legs and abs work out which was 90 mins long and a lick!!! Very tough as was looking to build up my strength and explosive power!

Good overall session with me currently weighing at 90kg.

Clips and licks... Sounds like you're in the Girl Guides ;)

• Advertisement

I did not do anything Friday and Saturday due to work and flights but back yesterday with

20 km cycle in 34 mins (It was ok)...This included 10km challenge... The aim is to get it done in 15 mins which I have not managed to achieve... though this was the first time I have broken 16 minutes... I completed it in 15.45 so was happy enough

I did a seal work out for my core as well.. Good session but wanted to get asecond one in...However this didn happen cuz of work...

Plan for today is 25km with some core work followed by a weights session!

Tuesday unfortunately was a write off due to long hours in work... I didn't get abck till after 9 but did 25km today on the bike in 36.59. Could be able to start running later this week as body seems to be coping with the heat pretty well.

I had planned to do a core and weights session but I am bit concerned that I may an injury which I picked up in the last week but as it has not eased I am going to be monitoring it for the next days.....

Good day on the bike though and getting an ideal base for going on to do some triathlons.... I am considering a 40 km spin at a slower pace tomorrow to build up a bit of stamina

So the renewed training continues... Another enforced day off yesterday after work ran till 2130 last night.... Back with avengence today...

40 km bike ride in 68 mins... Legs were heavy but kept up a relatively steady pace and rarely dropped below my average pace of 1.44 a km for most of it...

Did some Abs as well and heading back over in bout an hour for a weights session which promises to be tough

17th was meant to be an easy day but the 40 km had taken it out of me so I took it as a rest day.

18th: 20 km cycle - 38 mins - Took it nice and handy as the ould legs were still a wee bit stiff after the 40 km which was the longest I had cycled by 15km.... I also introduced a 10 min run back into the equation to get my shaky legs used to the sensation when transitioning off a bike....It was a bit ropey the first minute or two but managed it ok.

Did a weights session with a couple of the lads and focused on arms.

Was meant to be a two sessions but smushed it into one cuz of time but felt good to get a solid block of training in

19th August - Very much a tempo based cycle today as I pushed myself a lot harder and completed 20km on an exercise bike in 32.49.

Level 6 - 9 for 5km each.

Again another run of 10 minutes and was quite pleased with this because while yes I was tired after it I still felt fresh

Second session: Weights session with chest and triceps which I hadn't done yesterday. Did a small bit of abs/core work but the plan is to introduce it into a programme with the run. Initally 3 exercises to 25 twice for each session and then work on building it from there.

Again any pointers from those triathletes who have competed before would be appreciated. Aim is to complete a sprint triathalon before xmas and after a couple of months access to a pool which i currently don't have!

**** the bed it has been a week since I posted on here...

I can't remember how many sessions I did altogether but I know that I got 110 km done last week which was below the target of 120km ...I also got one different session in to change it up a bit... Did a kick boxing session which was interesting and something different!

Sunday is where I wills tart again as it is the start of my week...

Good double session today.....

Had an easy day on the bike with 15km done in about 28 mins...

Did a heavy session on weights smashing my shoulders and chest non stop for an hour...

Monday:

Another good session on the bike with legs that were quite heavy.... But smashed out a new PB for 20km on the bike here with a 32.20 on what was one of my two tempo rides this week....

Got another session in about half an hour with shoulders and arms being done today... Along with some Ab work... My weight is creeping up thank god but staying relatively slim so going ok so far and accordingly to plan....

Am starting to notice the effects on my legs though which can only be a good thing.

Tomorrow...

Need to find time where I can get a 40km cycle done either that day or the following day so keep watchin to see which day I manage it :P

Advertisement