Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Course in Javascript in Cork or online?

Options
  • 07-04-2013 5:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭

Hoping someone can help me here, despite my complete lack of technical knowledge! My boyfriend is soon relocating to cork (not Irish, so not sure if that will make a difference to any advice given) and has a background in physics, computer science and electronics. He would ideally like a job in academia, but would also like to keep some options open in terms of industry. However, as it is a long time since he worked in the computer science area, he would love to do a course to refresh/ expand skills, specifically in Javascript. Are there any good courses in the Cork area, or maybe any online course that anyone can recommend? The reason I mentioned above that he is not Irish (and is infact non-eu) is that i presume this means he wouldn't be eligible for fás or some other courses? So if anyone could maybe recommend a privately-run course or online course that would have some kind of recognised certification at the end of it, i'd really appreciate it.
    Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭counterpointaud

Check out Pluralsight.com and also there's a book called 'JavaScript, the good parts' that may be helpful. JavaScript is a language best learned by using it IMO, a student of CS shouldn't have too much trouble picking it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Corkie100

Thanks for those suggestions. Thing is, he has a good enough knowledge of it already and is using it a bit i think, but would need some kind of documentation (e.g. a cert or something) to be able to declare proficiency on a cv, i think? His computer science degree is from years and years ago, so he feels that he definitely needs to update knowledge. He has been working in physics research for a long time but thinks industry may have more job opportunities at the moment. Will check out that website, thanks a million.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭counterpointaud

Others on this board with more experience may correct me on this, but I think most coding certifications are not of that much benefit in an interview situations for software development positions.

My understanding (studying for a degree in Software Systems Development at the moment) is that the practical knowledge and experience is number one, with a degree a close second (and often needed to get your foot in the door), with accreditation and certifications in specific technologies a distant third.

From what I hear, interviews are often quite technical, so you can display your knowledge of a specific technology without a certification in it. I am not studying .NET in college, for example, but got through my work placement interview by building something with it beforehand.

Advertisement