Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Water Meters - The last straw?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,872 ✭✭✭View

Cliste wrote: »
    I doubt that any party would consider privitisation in the near future purely from a political perspective. It will be a hard enough sell to get people paying for water charges.

Then again the Troika may be pulling the strings...

It might be easier to get payment collected if it was privatised.

People don't expect private companies to provide services for free whereas a lot of people simultaneously expect a public body to both supply them with "free" (or heavily subsidised) services and also to increase its provisions of services in their locality irrespective of the economic logic of doing so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

Jaysus - can't wait for the people complaining when either

a - harassed by debt collectors
    or worse
    b - water turned off on them

... "Talk to Joe" :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭KELTICKNIGHTT

i wonder what the cost will be , theres plenty of figures of amounts going around,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

They currently charge €2 to €2.20 per cubic meter, plus a quarterly meter charge if you are a business.
    Their per cubic meter charge is half for supply, half for disposal.

450 liters per day is free if the premises is also a domestic residence.
    So about 20c for a shower. 2c for a toilet flush.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭KELTICKNIGHTT

i thought there was a standard amout for a certain amount of water used and if you go over, you get charged for it

i thought there was a standard amout for a certain amount of water used and if you go over, you get charged for it

Yes,
    the 450 liters per day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

ressem wrote: »
    They currently charge €2 to €2.20 per cubic meter, plus a quarterly meter charge if you are a business.
    Their per cubic meter charge is half for supply, half for disposal.

450 liters per day is free if the premises is also a domestic residence.
    So about 20c for a shower. 2c for a toilet flush.

Does that include waste water because those rates are twice what Galway city Council charge for commercial water supply - €1 per cubic meter.

antoobrien wrote: »
    Does that include waste water because those rates are twice what Galway city Council charge for commercial water supply - €1 per cubic meter.

Yes, the consolidated rate which seems comparable to the planned domestic services for urban households.

http://www.galwaycity.ie/AllServices/Finance/AccountsReceivable/CommercialWaterCharges/
    Water Charges 2013

Water Only Charges
    Metered Supplies:
    € 1.10 per cubic metre
    Waste Water Only Charges
    Metered Supplies:
    € 1.00 per cubic metre

Water and Waste Water Services - Consolidated Charge and Meter Rent

Metered Supplies:
    General Supply: €2.10 per cubic metre
    Meter Rent:
    Meter size ≤ 25mm €7 per quarter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

ressem wrote: »
    Yes, the consolidated rate which seems comparable to the planned domestic services for urban households.p

Galway don't actually collect those waste charges (see the budget, both domestic & commercial waste water are €0 line items under income).

What charges or proposals were you originally referring to & where?

• Advertisement

antoobrien wrote: »
    Galway don't actually collect those waste charges (see the budget, both domestic & commercial waste water are €0 line items under income).

What charges or proposals were you originally referring to & where?

I'm in Galway county, and the premises owner does add in the charge for wastewater.
    Page 107 of
    http://www.galwaycoco.ie/en/about/Finance/AnnualBudgets/Budget2012/FilesTable/STATUTORY%20TABLES%202012%20A-F.pdf

differs from the Galway city equivalent by having a commercial waste water income, albeit much smaller than the supply value.

Maybe it depends on whether the water management company have attached meters to measure outflows?

(off topic: the council voted down a request to get an 18%,19% increase in charges for commercial water supply/water treatment respectively for the year.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

creedp wrote: »
    I was responding on the basis that you hold the view that the PS cost too much and must be reduced (see below) - presumably the slack being picked up by the private sector yet I see you're not in favour of privitisation becasue the entrepreneurs will screw you - that's a defn of being between a rock and a hard place!
    Not at all creedp - being critical of lack reform permitted by Unions in PS, or looking for cost savings from those who can most afford to pay in the PS is not the same as welcoming an opportunistic screwing by the private sector. I think profitable state owned business is a welcome string to the bow of the state. As long as its efficient and brings value, stability for the citizens of the state. I'd be against the Coillte sale - some of the same reasons, some different.

Advertisement