Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl & Aldi No Baskets - Pure Ignorance or Bad Customer Service>?

Options
  • 07-04-2013 8:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭
    EMar Sounds

When you go shopping, you don't always need a lot of groceries
    Sometimes you might just want a few small things for your fridge.

How come all my life, when i walk into a supermarket there is always
    a shopping basket, yet when i walk into any of those supermarkets
    like lidl or aldi, unless you have a box or a bag with you then you have
    no choice but to pay for a trolley
    As far as i'm concerned that's just pure ignorance to their customers needs.
    So lets assume they considered te above and a customer doesn't require
    a full trolley of groceries, basically they have decided your needs are not important enough to give you a basket.

They should be closed until they re consider customer needs and take a course in customer service.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,920 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Sounds wrote: »
    They should be closed until they re consider customer needs and take a course in customer service.

Don't like it? Don't shop there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

Vote with your feet and shop somewhere else? No one is forcing you to shop with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

Overreact much?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Bring a bag.

Next problem please.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,514 ✭✭✭✭ted1

That's some rant.

I prefer to pay less for my groceries, I also find it great that the people who I buy them from are renowned for the amount of Irish produced product they stock.

I shop in Lidl and Aldi. If I have too buy a few things I take out my key ring, insert the trolley token on it, put the goods on the basket and go to check out, much the same as when I get a full load.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Then goto one of the more expensive shops that have lots of baskets. These things cost money, and as Lidl/Aldi try to sell stuff cheaper, some things are cut out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

Just go to Aldi in the glen, they have baskets now ~ sorted:)

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Daffodil.d

That's deliberate. It's to make you buy more. If you have a trolley you're more likely to put more in it.And lets face it we've all stood by the drill bits/garden shovels/bathroom scales/tracksuit tops and many more random items that we dont need and convinced ourselves we need the because they're good value. Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

Both shops loudly and proudly announce that they are no-frills to pass the savings on to the customer. Go to a place with frills if that's what you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭decies

Which is better folks aldi or lidl with or without baskets ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

When you go shopping, you don't always need a lot of groceries
    Sometimes you might just want a few small things for your fridge.

How come all my life, when i walk into a supermarket there is always
    a shopping basket, yet when i walk into any of those supermarkets
    like lidl or aldi, unless you have a box or a bag with you then you have
    no choice but to pay for a trolley
    As far as i'm concerned that's just pure ignorance to their customers needs.
    So lets assume they considered te above and a customer doesn't require
    a full trolley of groceries, basically they have decided your needs are not important enough to give you a basket.

Lidl and Aldi have always operated like this if you don't like it you can go elsewhere. Or you can bring a bag, or you can take one of the many cardboard boxes that are around the shop and use that. I've done it many times.

And you don't have to pay for a trolley. You get your money back when you return it.

decies wrote: »
    Which is better folks aldi or lidl with or without baskets ?

its 50/50 some stuff you can get in one but not in the other, best do both.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

Fully agree op and there's no such thing as just going in for a look around you are forced to leave via the checkout. And as the checkouts are full of trollies you have to squeeze past them to exit. Also if you go back out the entrance an alarm goes off !!!
    Here! everybody look at that fella who bought nothing and is trying to leave! Get him, sound the alarms!!!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

You don't pay for a trolley as such seeing as you get a refund when you bring the trolley back. No big deal anyway, just their way of doing things.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,589 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Im almost sure I recall seeing baskets in Lidl in Carrick on Suir :o

thank jaysus their here, imagine if we only had the big 4:eek: what would we be paying and there would be no fruit and veg sale every fortnight either.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭iPearly

Bring a bag like lots of us do. I'd rather have them without the baskets than shop in any of the other alternatives. They're not only good value for money but their produce- fruit and vegetables are always fresh unlike the in other shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

There are baskets in New Ross, Carrick on Suir and the stores in Cork I went to, no idea why baskets haven't arrived here yet.

What drives me mad, is people shopping into bags in stores that do have plenty baskets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

They have baskets in the ones in Spain.......just sayin

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭dx22

Its done on purpose so you get a trolley and buy more

You may also notice very tiny bagging areas also
    This is to make you hurry up and bag your shopping quickly to keep the queue moving!

Everything is very deliberate in supermarkets nowadays, consumer behaviour is almost a science!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

dx22 wrote: »

Everything is very deliberate in supermarkets nowadays, consumer behaviour is almost a science!

trying to max sales by understanding customer behavior is pretty much my entire job. You would not believe the amount of thought that goes into little things like this, Some of it is silly but allot of it makes a huge difference.

Anyway, it's hard to argue with the rest. If you don't like the shop go elsewhere. Much like I refuse to fly with Ryanair unless I absolutely have too some people at the same time want the cheap flights and care little about anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

I find the trolleys are quite deep and I usually struggle to reach the smaller items at the bottom of the trolley so I tend to go to Aldi on the Cork Road now as they've got the smaller trolleys.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭iCosmopolis

I believe some of them are not allowing you to use bags now though (I just grab a box for small bits). Our local lidl has bought in the small trollies recently I've noticed, grand for smaller shops but equally useless with a stroller :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

dx22 wrote: »
    This is to make you hurry up and bag your shopping quickly to keep the queue moving!

It's actually not that bad if you stay in that queue ;).
    I appreciate both of them for having bagging counters. But what annoys me most are this managers shouting "This till will be open now" and pushing people to leave their queues and stay at empty checkout waiting 1-2 minutes for someone to serve them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

ha ha, you'd swear it was a tax payer funded service :pac:

Sorry OP, you're on your own. My local aldi over here actually has baskets but I actually prefer to take a box from one of the stashes that they have conveniently located around the shop

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I use a bag, funny how that works just fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Daffodil.d

deisemum wrote: »
    I find the trolleys are quite deep and I usually struggle to reach the smaller items at the bottom of the trolley so I tend to go to Aldi on the Cork Road now as they've got the smaller trolleys.

This is an issue that I have. I have a back problem that I manage most of the time. I use the trolleys in all the supermarkets. The shallower trolleys suit me better and I get on with it but the older generation have more aches and pains than I do so I think they'd benefit more if they at least had the shallow trolley option. It annoys me that its a 2 euro coin you need to have handy in aldi and not your standard key fob or 1 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Sounds
    EMar Sounds

That's why I don't shop there, but i have and they do have some cool stuff, other than food.
    It's just inconsiderate of any management to ignore such a simple customer service
    That is exactly the attitude they have "bring a bag" "shop elsewhere" "like it or lump it"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,771 ✭✭✭donegal_man

Daffodil.d wrote: »
    .............. It annoys me that its a 2 euro coin you need to have handy in aldi and not your standard key fob or 1 euro.

A UK or pre-Euro Irish two pence coin works as well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Sounds
    EMar Sounds

You're right, i just needed to get that off my chest, i'll keep an eye open for empty boxes if i'm there again.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement