Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl & Aldi No Baskets - Pure Ignorance or Bad Customer Service>?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

This thread is a basket case.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭albert kidd

Finnbar01 wrote: »
    This thread is a basket case.

:)

indeed..the OP is off his trolley.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Sounds
    EMar Sounds

I'm not off my trolley, I'm stating a fact!
    People have already admitted that these German discount chains have substitute
    customer service to give it back to their customers in cheaper products
    BS! they make billions every week.

The war is over people.. and Germany lost!!

Pure ignorance on behalf of their management

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

Germany lost? I don't think so. They're in charge of this country.

A.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

This thread is hilarious,can a MOD move this to AH ? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Sounds wrote: »

Basil! Basil!!

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭albert kidd

you need to take your frustrations further.

ring billy mccarthy in the morning and vent your anger over the airwaves.

there maybe others who share your obvious frustrations and it could spark a campaign.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

LIDL-logo.jpg

father_ted_down_with_this_sort_of_t.jpg

:pac::pac::pac:

EMar Sounds

It was just a rant, i have no probs bringing a bag or grabbing a box or a trolley if i need one
    Seeing how many people think this is ok makes me annoyed more.. good ol sit back Ireland.
    By the time this is over, every one of those c***s will have baskets i guarantee you that.
    They make millions, they can afford to have a little respect for the people that make their millions.
    German or other

That's how i roll

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Write to the company....?

• Advertisement
    EMar Sounds

Then nobody would see it.. social media = more people aware = action
    I'll pass them on a link for you, you either disagree or you agree that's your choice
    People know i'm right, it's just common courtesy, or in the business world "customer service"
    Something they can just pfffff in Germany, not in my country.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Izy

aldi in the glen has baskets... noone uses them, everyone just grabs a box or have their own bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Izy wrote: »
    aldi in the glen has baskets... noone uses them, everyone just grabs a box or have their own bag.

I've used them.

I had no idea baskets in supermarkets used to gather a few bits and pieces were seen as a 'frill' now! They should be provided as a basic necessity, imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 nicolaed

Lidl is a discount shop.
    With pros and cons.
    No baskets, no porter :) etc

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

nicolaed wrote: »
    Lidl is a discount shop.
    With pros and cons.
    No baskets, no porter :) etc

Dealz is also a discount shop and they have baskets. Being a discount store doesn't mean you shouldn't provide baskets for customers to carry their goods in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 nicolaed

Dealz is also a discount shop and they have baskets. Being a discount store doesn't mean you shouldn't provide baskets for customers to carry their goods in.
    Use a Dealz.
    Don't like Ryan air-use other air companies:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

And yet we all shop there because it's cheaper.

Definition of irony: this misuse of the word ignorance.

EMar Sounds

It's ignorance because they knew it when they decided to build another super market,
    It's bad customer service because they decided that's it's ok not to provide such a basic customer service
    If you can afford to own a discount chain then you can afford to provide your customers what they need.
    Go on any real business forum and ask what's the 1st thing a customer would look for when they walk into a supermarket.

No excuse.

It's ignorance because they knew it when they decided to build another super market,

I see you've now looked the word up but it still doesn't mean what you think it means.

It is a discount supermarket. They know that customers want baskets. And free bags, gentle lighting, stuff on shelves rather than piled up in it's boxes on the floor, plenty of helpful staff on plenty of tills. Maybe a coffee machine and a friendly butcher on a counter and free samples of cheese and deli meats. Those hanging signs that let you know what is in each aisle. They know that.

They just eschew that in favour of a policy of keeping prices low for customers whilst maximising profits.

They know that. I know that. Most of the people in this thread know that. They are entirely upfront about it and always have been.

Not knowing that this what they do is the real ignorance. So here for your reading pleasure is them telling you that in their words.
    Lidl seeks to keep overheads to a minimum and eliminate any unnecessary costs.
    http://www.lidl.ie/cps/rde/xchg/lidl_ri_ie/hs.xsl/faq.htm

You can contact them and ask them why they don't provide baskets. They will respond "We aim to keep overhead costs as low as possible and we don't feel that providing the baskets is worth the expense, especially since many customers bring their own bags with them or are welcome to use any of the empty boxes they find lying around the store. However, we will note your request and pass it on to your branch manager for consideration."

They don't need an excuse. Frankly, it's boggling that you think they should close to be educated in how to run a business just because you don't understand their policies and think that being provided with a basket is your inalienable right. They owe you nothing. You can chose not to shop there.

How about you go to a "real" business forum and tell them you want Lidl and Aldi and other discount supermarkets to close down whilst they "reconsider customer needs and take a course in customer service" because you deserve a basket dammit and you can't wrap your head around their extremely successful business plan? You'd be laughed out of the place.

EMar Sounds

There is no excuse, they knowing it just makes it worse, like i said, they make millions, per week.
    A few shopping baskets won't damage their profits or put them put of business or cause staff cuts.

They can afford it, they made the choice, i'm just putting the facts out there, and i'm glad i posted this so i can read other opinions right and wrong.
    Doesn't matter what people think, the truth is, good stores provide what their customers want not what they assume is best for them, It's not google
    If they can't provide what their customers want then they shouldn't be doing business in any city, and should move on.

No excuse

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I think the white elephant in the room is the amount of baskets that go 'missing in Ireland.

The bloody things have to be security tagged!

In Holland the discounters have the little wheeled baskets that they have in Dealz. This idea was toyed with but it was decided they would just be robbed too.

Even the child trolleys for charity got robbed.

https://www.addgards.com/pages.php?cID=1&pID=3

Its not the cost of supplying the baskets, but the annual job of replacing the robbed ones.

EMar Sounds

That's a good point sort of, but as someone else already said,
    Those stores are designed so you go in, get your stuff and only one way out.
    If you have to go in one door, where there are cameras, then go to checkout,
    You will be exchange your basket for a shopping bag to fill with your groceries.
    No reason for customers to take the basket with them past the checkout.
    Doesn't cost anything for the staff to hand you a bag as they often do,
    and let you know you can't take the basket with you, if someone tries.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,771 ✭✭✭donegal_man

Personally I think you're just trolling but it you're not there is a very simple solution to your problem.
    Don't shop in Lidl or Aldi!
    You're welcome :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Dicky Pride

Personally I think you're just trolling but it you're not there is a very simple solution to your problem.
    Don't shop in Lidl or Aldi!
    You're welcome :D

What a wonderful contribution to the thread, 4 pages in.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

That Aldi/Lidl doesn't have baskets is not an issue for me, quite the opposite.
    I actually like that you can bring your own bag while shopping, then I know all items will fit.

If they can't provide what their customers want then they shouldn't be doing business in any city, and should move on.

No excuse

What do you think customers want, a. lower prices or b. baskets?

The popularity of shops like Lidl and Aldi, combined with their soaring profits, show that they are indeed providing what their customers want. If they weren't then they wouldn't make any profit and would indeed move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭stefan idiot jones

I see you've now looked the word up but it still doesn't mean what you think it means.

It is a discount supermarket. They know that customers want baskets. And free bags, gentle lighting, stuff on shelves rather than piled up in it's boxes on the floor, plenty of helpful staff on plenty of tills. Maybe a coffee machine and a friendly butcher on a counter and free samples of cheese and deli meats. Those hanging signs that let you know what is in each aisle. They know that.

They just eschew that in favour of a policy of keeping prices low for customers whilst maximising profits.

They know that. I know that. Most of the people in this thread know that. They are entirely upfront about it and always have been.

Not knowing that this what they do is the real ignorance. So here for your reading pleasure is them telling you that in their words.

http://www.lidl.ie/cps/rde/xchg/lidl_ri_ie/hs.xsl/faq.htm

You can contact them and ask them why they don't provide baskets. They will respond "We aim to keep overhead costs as low as possible and we don't feel that providing the baskets is worth the expense, especially since many customers bring their own bags with them or are welcome to use any of the empty boxes they find lying around the store. However, we will note your request and pass it on to your branch manager for consideration."

They don't need an excuse. Frankly, it's boggling that you think they should close to be educated in how to run a business just because you don't understand their policies and think that being provided with a basket is your inalienable right. They owe you nothing. You can chose not to shop there.

How about you go to a "real" business forum and tell them you want Lidl and Aldi and other discount supermarkets to close down whilst they "reconsider customer needs and take a course in customer service" because you deserve a basket dammit and you can't wrap your head around their extremely successful business plan? You'd be laughed out of the place.

This really should have been the last post in this pointless thread. Well said Lingua.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elfy4eva

My old man keeps a basket in the car with him for when hes getin a few bits in Aldi/Lidl.

i've tried using a fruit & veg box a few times myself but found it
    uncomfortable and a bit of a pain in the arse. Think i'll invest in a
    decent shopping bag

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭andersat2

When you go shopping, you don't always need a lot of groceries
    Sometimes you might just want a few small things for your fridge.

How come all my life, when i walk into a supermarket there is always
    a shopping basket, yet when i walk into any of those supermarkets
    like lidl or aldi, unless you have a box or a bag with you then you have
    no choice but to pay for a trolley
    As far as i'm concerned that's just pure ignorance to their customers needs.
    So lets assume they considered te above and a customer doesn't require
    a full trolley of groceries, basically they have decided your needs are not important enough to give you a basket.

They should be closed until they re consider customer needs and take a course in customer service.

no baskets in LIDL???? which LIDL you're talking about??
    Here in Dublin Glasnevin - there are plenty of them.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement