Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl & Aldi No Baskets - Pure Ignorance or Bad Customer Service>?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,589 ✭✭✭Speak Now

andersat2 wrote: »
    no baskets in LIDL???? which LIDL you're talking about??
    Here in Dublin Glasnevin - there are plenty of them.

Waterford City forum...Have a guess!

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭andersat2

aaaa, alrgiht :))))

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    There are baskets in New Ross, Carrick on Suir and the stores in Cork I went to, no idea why baskets haven't arrived here yet.

What drives me mad, is people shopping into bags in stores that do have plenty baskets.

Why would that drive you mad? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Sounds
    EMar Sounds

Do you have it in for Waterford for some strange reason? did i mention Waterford in my topic? NOPE!
    This forum may be a maintained by waterford developers, it's probably the most used forum in the country.
    Great for getting the word out! and there's lots more, seems to work better than standing in the cold all day.
    Plenty of lidl's and aldis across the country neglected this basic customer service, point proven, case closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Sounds wrote: »
    Do you have it in for Waterford for some strange reason? did i mention Waterford in my topic? NOPE!
    This forum may be a maintained by waterford developers, it's probably the most used forum in the country.
    Great for getting the word out! and there's lots more, seems to work better than standing in the cold all day.
    Plenty of lidl's and aldis across the country neglected this basic customer service, point proven, case closed.

The Waterford City Forum is better than standing in the cold all day? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,771 ✭✭✭donegal_man

What a wonderful contribution to the thread, 4 pages in.

I guess you must have missed my even better one earlier

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭south

This post has been deleted.
    I think the white elephant in the room is the amount of baskets that go 'missing in Ireland.

The bloody things have to be security tagged!

In Holland the discounters have the little wheeled baskets that they have in Dealz. This idea was toyed with but it was decided they would just be robbed too.

Even the child trolleys for charity got robbed.

https://www.addgards.com/pages.php?cID=1&pID=3

Its not the cost of supplying the baskets, but the annual job of replacing the robbed ones.

Just take one from tesco sure they've loads :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Why would that drive you mad? :confused:

I used to have to keep them in sight until they paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,330 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

That's a good point sort of, but as someone else already said,
    Those stores are designed so you go in, get your stuff and only one way out.
    If you have to go in one door, where there are cameras, then go to checkout,
    You will be exchange your basket for a shopping bag to fill with your groceries.
    No reason for customers to take the basket with them past the checkout.
    Doesn't cost anything for the staff to hand you a bag as they often do,
    and let you know you can't take the basket with you, if someone tries.

Ah, but this is where your argument runs into the sand. Lidl and Aldi specifically require you to take your basket/trolley to the shelf at the window to pack your stuff into bags, to save time at the checkouts. It's da system, dontchaknow. So unless they're then going to employ someone to keep an eye on bag packers who might be inclined to liberate a basket or two, then it makes sense that they only have trolleys available with a refundable deposit.

(Can't believe I got sucked into this thread :eek:)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,488 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Ah, but this is where your argument runs into the sand. Lidl and Aldi specifically require you to take your basket/trolley to the shelf at the window to pack your stuff into bags, to save time at the checkouts. It's da system, dontchaknow.

Actually, this system only apply's to Aldi stores who have signs up explaining that this is the system.

I've never seen such signs in Lidl and I've never ever been asked to do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

I used to have to keep them in sight until they paid.

oh right, i thought you were just an ordinary customer :P

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Sounds
    EMar Sounds

Guess who has baskets in all their stores.

Case dismissed!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭spankmemunkey

Yup lidl have baskets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

**** it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

Also its some job getting out of there when your going in for a look around.but then again the owners are german so there all too used to enclosing people in confined spaces,

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

When you go shopping, you don't always need a lot of groceries
    Sometimes you might just want a few small things for your fridge.

How come all my life, when i walk into a supermarket there is always
    a shopping basket, yet when i walk into any of those supermarkets
    like lidl or aldi, unless you have a box or a bag with you then you have
    no choice but to pay for a trolley
    As far as i'm concerned that's just pure ignorance to their customers needs.
    So lets assume they considered te above and a customer doesn't require
    a full trolley of groceries, basically they have decided your needs are not important enough to give you a basket.

They should be closed until they re consider customer needs and take a course in customer service.

Bring a bag or 2 euro for a small trolley.

Aldi's priority for their customers is the price point. There is a reason why there is only one trolly bay and no baskets and its about reducing overheads. If you want customer service, go to Tesco or Superquinn, you'll pay for the privilege whether you realise it or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭gowley

Dempsey wrote: »
    Bring a bag or 2 euro for a small trolley.

Aldi's priority for their customers is the price point. There is a reason why there is only one trolly bay and no baskets and its about reducing overheads. If you want customer service, go to Tesco or Superquinn, you'll pay for the privilege whether you realise it or not.

this is spot on and why they are the fastest growing supermarket here. between aldi and lidl they will have a 15% market share in a couple of months.

for other posters lidl do have baskets. you will find them inside the door and they are blue. for aldi customers who cant find a basket and dont want a trolley why not just use a box and enjoy the low prices. some people are never happy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭spankmemunkey

gowley wrote: »
    this is spot on and why they are the fastest growing supermarket here. between aldi and lidl they will have a 15% market share in a couple of months.

for other posters lidl do have baskets. you will find them inside the door and they are blue. for aldi customers who cant find a basket and dont want a trolley why not just use a box and enjoy the low prices. some people are never happy

U must work for one of them!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭iseegirls

gowley wrote: »
    for aldi customers who cant find a basket and dont want a trolley why not just use a box and enjoy the low prices. some people are never happy

I don't know about you, but carrying a box around with multiple groceries inside just sounds like a huge pain and very awkward.

• Site Banned Posts: 99 ✭✭untouchable

there are baskets in alot of aldi/lidl's

the one near the forum has them for example

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭fiesty lady

Just bring your own shopping bag put your purchases into it, unload it at checkout, pay for items, pack again, problem solved.:)

iseegirls wrote: »
    I don't know about you, but carrying a box around with multiple groceries inside just sounds like a huge pain and very awkward.

if you have multiple groceries get a trolley. if not use a box

U must work for one of them!

no. just cant see why people are complaining. these two stores are flying so the vast majority of shoppers are happy with this store model. if they want all the bells and whistles send them to m and s or superquinn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭MOC88

ziedth wrote: »
    trying to max sales by understanding customer behavior is pretty much my entire job. You would not believe the amount of thought that goes into little things like this, Some of it is silly but allot of it makes a huge difference.

Anyway, it's hard to argue with the rest. If you don't like the shop go elsewhere. Much like I refuse to fly with Ryanair unless I absolutely have too some people at the same time want the cheap flights and care little about anything else.

I always think of the kimberly biscuits example when I think of buying behaviour. Want a biscuit? have two... run out twice as quick. Its genius packaging

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭MOC88

iseegirls wrote: »

carry them in your hands ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭kaef

Fake. There are baskets in Lidl.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Why is this conversation happening, they have nice green baskets in lidl now, whagt they don't have yet is people using them - they are tucked inside to your right so you tend to walk straight past them as you go in.

If you are reading this chaps, put them left/front where they are immediately visible.

mike65 wrote: »
    Why is this conversation happening, they have nice green baskets in lidl now, whagt they don't have yet is people using them - they are tucked inside to your right so you tend to walk straight past them as you go in.

If you are reading this chaps, put them left/front where they are immediately visible.

they are actually blue mayb it was a green box u picked up

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,488 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

In all honesty this has little or no relevance to Waterford, if people want to complain about customer service from supermarkets then post in consumer issues.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement