Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ASUS RT-N66U - 900Mbps Dual Band Wireless N Router

Options
  • 07-04-2013 8:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭

Thought I'd upgrade my trusty linksys 54g router for one of these. Must say now, great router amazing range.
    Couple concerns, I've two HDDs attached to it which is great for streaming over the network. Does it flawlessly but one of the HDDs (WD) doesn't go to sleep due to inactivity. The (Seagate) does no problem.

The main thing though is the connection speeds. My laptop (dell xps15) only connects at 72Mbps, iPad at 65Mbps and SGS3 at 40Mbps.

Is this normal as it says it's capable of 900Mbps?

Thanks for any info

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46 thejetset

The highest speed you should expect to get using the RT-N66U is 450Mbit/s. The 900Mbit/s rate is what's called N900, and is not a speed which is actually possible, it's the speed of the 2.4Ghz radio and the 5Ghz radio combined.

Beyond the 450Mbit/s mark there are a few things that play into the actual connection speed. The first is the WiFi card in the device you're using the connect, this is one of my personal pet peeves on cheap laptops, the WiFi cards that are slow! There's also interference, this is a particular problem with 2.4Ghz in built up areas. And then beyond all of that there's a heap of other issues, one of the reasons why when you call tech support they tell you to plug your laptop in using ethernet (something that's becoming harder to do with the proliferation of tablets and laptops without ethernet ports).

Hope that helped you understand why you won't get 900Mbit/s out of your router, despite all of the above it's well worth going for a router like that as the quality of service you get from it far exceeds most other consumer routers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Gerimelda

Hi. I'm new to this so apologies in advance for my lack of computer savy. I have just purchased an Asus Rt-N66U router to replace my old Netgear as I stream wirelessly to my smart tv - my old router hasn't been able for the 3d content on my smart tv interface (not via dvd) so was hoping performance of Asus would be better. Anyway I have an Adsl connection (utv broadband) and now realise I need a modem. What modem can I get with a wan port as described in asus manual? Do I have to "bridge" that modem first and how? Can I set it up with my existing Netgear DG834Gv4 router/modem with no WAN port by "bridging" it and how? Am no good at computer speak so any help would be really greatly appreciated - have tried trawling through the net with no success and a local computer shop manager was no help but told me to send the Asus back and get a "proper Adsl" router. I picked the Asus for a reason! Any help - please. . ...

Advertisement