Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quick Question - Glucose Test & Fasting

• 07-04-2013 8:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 967 ✭✭✭

Hi

I've to do the glucose test tomorrow at my 29 week check up. I'm getting my first bloods at 8am, then the luzocade and then more bloods at 9am.

I know I've to fast food wise from 9pm tonight but I'm just trying to remember what the situation is drinking - and most importantly - can I have a cup of tea in the morning before I head to the hospital??

I should really know this but I can't remember at all!

Thanks a million

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭lainycool

Hi
    I had this test done 4 weeks ago and you have to fast completely so no tea im afraid, They will give you a voucher to get breakfast afterwards though :-) Best of luck x

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 967 ✭✭✭highly1111

Thanks lainycool - and just to clarify - I know there's the screening test and then the full test. This is just the initial screening test as opposed to the 2nd tolerance test - so is that the same? This is my 3rd pregnancy and 3rd time doing this and hopefully 3rd time negative and you'd think i'd remember!

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭lainycool

highly1111 wrote: »
    Thanks lainycool - and just to clarify - I know there's the screening test and then the full test. This is just the initial screening test as opposed to the 2nd tolerance test - so is that the same? This is my 3rd pregnancy and 3rd time doing this and hopefully 3rd time negative and you'd think i'd remember!

Yep it's the same deal regarding the fasting as far as I know although I had the full test first, I think they say if you are very thirsty you can sip water.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

I had the initial one (screening) done in holles street at my 29 week apt. Went in for my apt and doc decided he'd have me do it last minute as I've pcos and it can be a marker. As I didn't know going in I hadn't fasted, it was the hour after taking the drink that I couldn't eat or drink anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 364 ✭✭Little My

I had one Thursday just past. Fast from 12, First bloods taken at 10am, then the drink, then bloods at 11 and 12. You can sip water throughout if needed.

No voucher for breakfast in Galway!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 967 ✭✭✭highly1111

Thanks again - yeah, they wanted me to do the 3 hour thing but I just put my foot down - I'll have my 2 kids with me and I've to get my oldest straight to school asap after my appointment. They had never asked for the 3 hour one to be done straight away before so I just said no way that on my previous 2 pregnancies it was always just the screening test first. Thankfully my 2 kids were with me when this conversation took place so they didn't doubt me! My husband will come in with me to sit with the kids while I see doc and go through the process but it's still a pain! Thankfully they listened!

Advertisement