Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Respecting other cultures

2»

Comments

• In fairness, that would be a common trait to most countries. Most people do not like outsider's running down their own and we the Irish are just as bad.

I have had non Irish friends who are quite comfortable criticising Ireland around me but would never say anything negative in groups of Irish people.

I think the Spanish are especially bad. Or perhaps it's the fact they're so quick to run down other cultures and people. I've no problem with patriotism, but don't run down my country and then get annoyed if I say something mildly negative, you know? They're the masters of being able to dish it out but not take it on this topic, I think, and I'm sure it does stem from the old inferiority complex.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

You are hanging out with the wrong type of Irish people so!

I don't think so. I don't have any self-loathing attitudes towards Ireland or my own Irishness, neither do any of my friends. But you do often hear a lot of people bitching about Ireland, even in the media, to an extent you don't really hear in other countries. This whole 'typical Ireland' :rolleyes: attitude or 'what will Germany/England/America/the neighbours think' preoccupation that a lot of people have too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 713 ✭✭✭WayneMolloy

I was surprised because I never really thought it still existed to the extent that it does. I study over here and I take classes in Latin American Literature, and in the first class, the lecturer asked the class what they thought of the relationship between Spain and Latin America. Immediately the foreigners took a back seat for this one, and the Spanish students went for it. Everyone who spoke, bar one girl, said that the main feeling they felt when they thought of Latin American was pride - proud for discovering America in the first place and then for spreading the Spanish language and culture to that part of the world and finally for bringing Christianity. One girl said that she felt some embarrassment about Spain's colonial past, and she was laughed off by pretty much everyone, including the lecturer. I've also seen the nationalism rear its head with regards to Catalonia at times too, which has sometimes been pretty nasty.

As far as national mood, from what I've seen, a lot of complaining, occasional strikes, but there doesn't seem to be too much changing.

Yeah - they havent been inflicted with colonial guilt like the brits have, for example. The south American immigrants get an awful time of it too. Poor buggers.

I have a serious gra for the place - one of my favourite countries in Europe. Their nationalism only endears me more. It is a dead concept in this country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Legs.Eleven

I think the Spanish are especially bad. Or perhaps it's the fact they're so quick to run down other cultures and people. I've no problem with patriotism, but don't run down my country and then get annoyed if I say something mildly negative, you know? They're the masters of being able to dish it out but not take it on this topic, I think, and I'm sure it does stem from the old inferiority complex.

To be fair, I do think they'll criticise the country among themselves though. I've met many very frank and honest people in this country who've criticised aspects of their culture and collective characteristics. They just don't take it very well coming from foreigners.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Fr D Maugire

And again, that is something common to almost every nationality. Perhaps the Spanish are worse(I have spent time there as well but didn't really notice) I don't know, we can all give examples of such behaviour from various nationalities, I found some Argentinians to be incredibly patriotic as if Argentina was the greatest place on earth. You didn't dare mention the huge gaps in standard of living there or Maradona cheating etc.

I remember when I lived in Sydney, I had a few room-mates from Dublin and all they did was talk about how **** Sydney was but thought Dublin was the greatest place ever. I think most people that have been to both places would place Sydney well ahead of Dublin in terms of somewhere to live.

Fr Dougal wrote:
    I found some Argentinians to be incredibly patriotic as if Argentina was the greatest place on earth.

If you are a steak loving, single hetrosexual male with a decent paying job - they wouldnt be far wrong!:cool:

Yeah - they havent been inflicted with colonial guilt like the brits have, for example. The south American immigrants get an awful time of it too. Poor buggers.

I have a serious gra for the place - one of my favourite countries in Europe. Their nationalism only endears me more. It is a dead concept in this country.

There are a lot of things I like about Spain, and a lot of things I really, really don't. I've witnessed a fair bit of racism since coming here, a lot worse than anything I've seen in Ireland, which is really, really ugly. It's a different kind of racism to what you see in Ireland too - in Ireland, I find, for the most part, it's ignorance more than anything else, over here I've found it a little bit more sinister, like a genuine dislike or distrust for people of different races. I've seen black people and Middle Eastern people refused entry into bars and nightclubs on the basis of their ethnicity, and people refusing to serve them in shops. One of my lecturers in college called black people 'monkeys' in class one day and was going on about how "disgusting" their skin is. :eek: It's one of the things that really puts me off the place. :(

Madam_X wrote: »
    Stoning someone to death I wouldn't see as a cultural practice, it's a punitive one.

Thats a cop out. Only one culture practices this punitive measure. No prizes for guessing which. For a culture so concerned with 'honour' and 'ummah', for whole villages, including the girls family, to conspire together to stone a women to death - shows how backwards and savage that culture actually is.

And again, that is something common to almost every nationality. Perhaps the Spanish are worse(I have spent time there as well but didn't really notice) I don't know, we can all give examples of such behaviour from various nationalities, I found some Argentinians to be incredibly patriotic as if Argentina was the greatest place on earth. You didn't dare mention the huge gaps in standard of living there or Maradona cheating etc.

I remember when I lived in Sydney, I had a few room-mates from Dublin and all they did was talk about how **** Sydney was but thought Dublin was the greatest place ever. I think most people that have been to both places would place Sydney well ahead of Dublin in terms of somewhere to live.

I think she's saying it's more extreme amongst the Spanish and I would agree.

Why were your room mates there is they hated it so much? Most Irish I know love the place. In fairness, you'd get plenty of Irish talking about what a hell hole Ireland is in comparison to their new adopted country. I've only ever found this attitude among Irish people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

I have heard spanish girls slag irish girls by calling them "cold" and bad dressers before. On the second issue that's certainly the pot calling the kettle black :S

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

Sending someone to prison isn't deemed a cultural practice.
    The Th!ng wrote: »
    I think bullfighting is a disgusting spectacle and I like it when the matadors are killed.
    Lol.

• There are a lot of things I like about Spain, and a lot of things I really, really don't. I've witnessed a fair bit of racism since coming here, a lot worse than anything I've seen in Ireland, which is really, really ugly. It's a different kind of racism to what you see in Ireland too - in Ireland, I find, for the most part, it's ignorance more than anything else, over here I've found it a little bit more sinister, like a genuine dislike or distrust for people of different races. I've seen black people and Middle Eastern people refused entry into bars and nightclubs on the basis of their ethnicity, and people refusing to serve them in shops. One of my lecturers in college called black people 'monkeys' in class one day and was going on about how "disgusting" their skin is. :eek: It's one of the things that really puts me off the place. :(

Yep. Casual racism is totally cool here and many people even defend it. I spoke to one of my young kid's (this class is 6-7 year olds) parents because the kid had called another student a monkey and made monkey noises and his dad was like, 'oh, it's grand, it's only a bit of fun'. No concern whatsoever about how it made the poor black kid feel.

steddyeddy wrote: »
    I have heard spanish girls slag irish girls by calling them "cold" and bad dressers before. On the second issue that's certainly the pot calling the kettle black :S

Ah sure they say that about everyone North of Spain, so I'd pay no heed.

I know very little about Spain tbh but how does the attitudes of the rest of continental Europe compare with the attitudes of the Spanish?

I know very little about Spain tbh but how does the attitudes of the rest of continental Europe compare with the attitudes of the Spanish?

I get the impression most continental countries in Europe don't have that inferiority complex the Spanish possess.

• Advertisement

There are a lot of things I like about Spain, and a lot of things I really, really don't. I've witnessed a fair bit of racism since coming here, a lot worse than anything I've seen in Ireland, which is really, really ugly. It's a different kind of racism to what you see in Ireland too - in Ireland, I find, for the most part, it's ignorance more than anything else, over here I've found it a little bit more sinister, like a genuine dislike or distrust for people of different races. I've seen black people and Middle Eastern people refused entry into bars and nightclubs on the basis of their ethnicity, and people refusing to serve them in shops. One of my lecturers in college called black people 'monkeys' in class one day and was going on about how "disgusting" their skin is. :eek: It's one of the things that really puts me off the place. :(

Outside of the English speaking world, as mad as that all is, its the norm unfortunately. If you think Spain is bad, visit northern Italy, Greeks or some of the eastern european countries.

You should probably speak with your dean about your lecturer though. Or even have a word with him yourself in private. Thats a bit mad.

I would actually complain about the lecturer, Da Shins. He should not be teaching.

• I would actually complain about the lecturer, Da Shins. He should not be teaching.

Pretty much every lecturer I had at my Spanish university was racist or sexist or something-ist or just downright offensive. I only reported the one who gave me a failing grade without having opened my exam paper and told me a foreigner would never be able to pass that exam (I got a 'sobresaliente' on the remark). Needless to say, I transferred back to Ireland shortly after that.

Sending someone to prison isn't deemed a cultural practice.

Lol.

No sh*t, really? Whats your point?

I would actually complain about the lecturer, Da Shins. He should not be teaching.

If he is there on an erasmus or a scholarship - probably best to wait until he graduates before he complains.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

No sh*t, really? Whats your point?
    Being sent to prison - punitive practice. Stoning someone - punitive practice.
    As opposed to cultural practices. It doesn't lessen how atrocious stoning is, but IMO it's incorrect to call it a cultural practice.
    Genital mutilation is carried out on infants/small children who have done nothing wrong, as opposed to being a punishment for breaking the law - cultural practice would be applicable in this case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

As opposed to cultural practices. It doesn't lessen how atrocious stoning is, but IMO it's incorrect to call it a cultural practice.
    Genital mutilation is carried out on infants/small children who have done nothing wrong, as opposed to being a punishment for breaking the law - cultural practice would be applicable in this case.

Attending a public stoning/whipping would be a cultural practice though, if not the act itself.

Only one culture practices stoning and calling it a punitive measure is taking the absolute p*ss. Most of the victims are executed after a kangaroo trial. Anyone who is deemed different or unclean can fall foul of this cultural practice - not just those who commit adultery. Its a way of keeping the sheep in tow. An Iraqi kid was stoned to death for having an emo haircut just last year ffs.

Outside of the English speaking world, as mad as that all is, its the norm unfortunately. If you think Spain is bad, visit northern Italy, Greeks or some of the eastern european countries.

You should probably speak with your dean about your lecturer though. Or even have a word with him yourself in private. Thats a bit mad.
    Pretty much every lecturer I had at my Spanish university was racist or sexist or something-ist or just downright offensive. I only reported the one who gave me a failing grade without having opened my exam paper and told me a foreigner would never be able to pass that exam (I got a 'sobresaliente' on the remark). Needless to say, I transferred back to Ireland shortly after that.

I actually had another lecturer who said that women who behave and dress a certain way and then get raped are partly to blame, and also "only attractive women get raped". I had a word with this lecturer about this and told him that that was pretty dangerous stuff to be spouting in a classroom setting (and also had very little to do with what we were supposed to be studying in class), but he wouldn't accept anything I was saying and pretty much turned his back on me in the middle of the conversation. After that experience, I just came to find that there isn't really much point in saying anything. Makes me hate college here though. So many of the lecturers seem to use the classroom as a platform to spout their sh*tty opinions.

I actually had another lecturer who said that women who behave and dress a certain way and then get raped are partly to blame, and also "only attractive women get raped". I had a word with this lecturer about this and told him that that was pretty dangerous stuff to be spouting in a classroom setting (and also had very little to do with what we were supposed to be studying in class), but he wouldn't accept anything I was saying and pretty much turned his back on me in the middle of the conversation. After that experience, I just came to find that there isn't really much point in saying anything. Makes me hate college here though. So many of the lecturers seem to use the classroom as a platform to spout their sh*tty opinions.

Is the entrance to the university a timewarp?

Is the entrance to the university a timewarp?

Ha! I still can't get used to it, to be honest. I think some of the lecturers are relics from Francoism, so they have these really skewed ideas. It's pretty bad to be going on about in a classroom though, regardless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭WittyKitty1

I'd go to a bullfight if they took the red-cape and sword off the little piroetting gimp, locked all the exits out of the ring and left him in there on his own with the bull. Best man/bull gets to leave. Doubt it would be quite so popular with lads who like tight trousers and funny hats, but the public/bulls would have a blast.

Ole! Jasus,:eek: did ye see where it stuck its horn? Never knew one could go up so far. That has to hurt. Ole!

1517143899_bull_fight1_xlarge.jpeg

Where are these universities? Are they public? It's unbelievable. :eek: I'm stunned.

Where are these universities? Are they public? It's unbelievable. :eek: I'm stunned.

Yep, public. I still can't quite get over it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

mattjack wrote: »
    Give us a cultural activity that violates human rights ?

The marriage of two underage children?
    I'm thinking about India in particular here.

• Advertisement

• Where are these universities? Are they public? It's unbelievable. :eek: I'm stunned.

You wouldn't believe the universities here. When I walked into mine in 2005, it was like going back to 1985 in every way. The fashion, the smoking (you could still smoke everywhere except the actual lecture rooms), the facilities (no internet access), the opinions. It really was a taste of the 80s and even further back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

I think religion is a complete load of crap. All of it. I think that institutional Christianity and Islam are inherently anti-women and aim to subjugate them into a role of housewife and child-producer and despite the patronising nonsense about valuing women, actually considers them lesser parts of our society. Hence why you see religion forcing women to quit their jobs once they're married, attempting to cover women up with hijabs and other such b*llocks as well as reacting to the smallest hint of female sexuality with repression and often violence.

I was in a trade-union office the other day in Whitechapel (predominantly Islamic area) and said Islam is a giant steaming pile of nonsense that people would be better off without. Cue utter shock and disbelief from some people saying my opinions were discriminatory etc, how Islam was actually quite progressive and all of that lark. What I found gas was the women who were making these arguments were die-hard political feminists who criticise patriarchy at every turn (rightfully) but yet will bend over backwards to defend medieval religious practice due to its adherents being a "vulnerable minority" and all of that sh*t.

It's one of the biggest hypocrisies of the British left in my opinion. I don't hate Islam and don't view it as inferior to any other religion. I just think it's equally as retarded.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 bcdfghjklm

I was surprised because I never really thought it still existed to the extent that it does. I study over here and I take classes in Latin American Literature, and in the first class, the lecturer asked the class what they thought of the relationship between Spain and Latin America. Immediately the foreigners took a back seat for this one, and the Spanish students went for it. Everyone who spoke, bar one girl, said that the main feeling they felt when they thought of Latin American was pride - proud for discovering America in the first place and then for spreading the Spanish language and culture to that part of the world and finally for bringing Christianity. One girl said that she felt some embarrassment about Spain's colonial past, and she was laughed off by pretty much everyone, including the lecturer. I've also seen the nationalism rear its head with regards to Catalonia at times too, which has sometimes been pretty nasty.

As far as national mood, from what I've seen, a lot of complaining, occasional strikes, but there doesn't seem to be too much changing.

I'm not that surprised.

When I had conversations with some locals in Mexico, I asked some indigenous folks how they feel about the past Spanish colonialism in Mexico and the Americas. They responded that there's a love-hate relationship with Spanish and that the concept of colonial guilt is usually minimal-to-non-existent in Spanish society. Some of them felt surprised that many British governmental officials had offered so many apologies for past colonialism and actively engage in making amends.

The concept of cultural sensitivity also seems to be minimal in Spain and anything perceived as culturally, ethnically, or racially offensive is dismissed as casual joking.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Thats a cop out. Only one culture practices this punitive measure. No prizes for guessing which. For a culture so concerned with 'honour' and 'ummah', for whole villages, including the girls family, to conspire together to stone a women to death - shows how backwards and savage that culture actually is.

It's a recurring theme throughout the Abrahamic faiths, not just Islam. The countries which practice this (e.g. Iran, Saudi Arabia) typically have totalitarian regimes.

Besides, Irish culture was concerned with "honour" too. We locked women up instead of stoning them, though.

It's a recurring theme throughout the Abrahamic faiths, not just Islam. The countries which practice this (e.g. Iran, Saudi Arabia) typically have totalitarian regimes.

Besides, Irish culture was concerned with "honour" too. We locked women up instead of stoning them, though.

The past is the foreign country, buddy. The jewish religion were first to implement it, 2000 or so years ago, the christians adopted it during the dark ages, but islam still practices it. It is a regular occurrence still in six Islamic countries - where opinion polls indicate that the populace support the practice.

The magdalene laundries are a stain on this countries history - no question. But whole villages conspiring together, including the girls family, to murder by stoning - is a whole different league of savagery.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭shoos

I've also seen the nationalism rear its head with regards to Catalonia at times too, which has sometimes been pretty nasty.

I've witnessed a lot of this!

I didn't go on Erasmus to Spain but by far the majority of people I met and spent time with were Spanish - a few Catalonians, and then the rest just normal Spain. The nasty comments that would be thrown at the Catalonians, and ten times worse behind their back, actually shocked me. I wasn't very aware of the Catalonia divide prior to Erasmus but some of the comments being made I just knew automatically "wow that is incredibly offensive". On mention of Catalonia some of the men and women who I had thought were really nice all of a sudden turned so cruel and full of anger and spite. As if how f*cking dare Catalonia want to separate themselves from the mighty Spain?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,671 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

I think its hard to give a definitive answer to this one.

I think what may have happened is that we like to believe that we should respect all cultures equally, which come for ideas such as humanising your enemy and justice as fairness, reason over our animal nature etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭schnitzelEater

What about camel jockeys / camel racing?

shoos wrote: »
    I've witnessed a lot of this!

I didn't go on Erasmus to Spain but by far the majority of people I met and spent time with were Spanish - a few Catalonians, and then the rest just normal Spain. The nasty comments that would be thrown at the Catalonians, and ten times worse behind their back, actually shocked me. I wasn't very aware of the Catalonia divide prior to Erasmus but some of the comments being made I just knew automatically "wow that is incredibly offensive". On mention of Catalonia some of the men and women who I had thought were really nice all of a sudden turned so cruel and full of anger and spite. As if how f*cking dare Catalonia want to separate themselves from the mighty Spain?

I met two girls from Barcelona when I was in San Francisco during the summer and they would refer to themselves as Catalonian first and foremost. I was telling a Spanish guy here about the two girls, and was referring to them as Catalonian, and he just interjected with "espanolas". I stopped, as I didn't really know what he meant, and asked him to repeat and he said, "They're Spanish." It was quite a dismissive attitude towards regional identity.

• Advertisement

• I met two girls from Barcelona when I was in San Francisco during the summer and they would refer to themselves as Catalonian first and foremost. I was telling a Spanish guy here about the two girls, and was referring to them as Catalonian, and he just interjected with "espanolas". I stopped, as I didn't really know what he meant, and asked him to repeat and he said, "They're Spanish." It was quite a dismissive attitude towards regional identity.

I've had more than a few arguments with Spaniards who insist that I'm not Irish because I'm from Northern Ireland. Northern Ireland belongs to the UK, simple as that, so I'm British and that's that. They say that considering yourself Irish doesn't make you Irish.

Last time it happened, the guys asked to see my passport, smirking because they thought they'd 'caught me out', and I pulled out my Irish passport, with 'Irish citizen' on it and just said 'well, I guess Ireland considers me Irish as well , you better ring up and let them know I'm not.' Knobends.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Why do spanish and italian people speak so loud in public???

Is it in their genes to just basicly shout out their words so that half the bus or train can hear them??????

The exchange students do my head in with the noise of them.

I've had more than a few arguments with Spaniards who insist that I'm not Irish because I'm from Northern Ireland. Northern Ireland belongs to the UK, simple as that, so I'm British and that's that. They say that considering yourself Irish doesn't make you Irish.

Last time it happened, the guys asked to see my passport, smirking because they thought they'd 'caught me out', and I pulled out my Irish passport, with 'Irish citizen' on it and just said 'well, I guess Ireland considers me Irish as well , you better ring up and let them know I'm not.' Knobends.

It's bizarre. I mean, it would never cross my mind to try and overrule someone on the issue of their own cultural identity. With those two Catalonian girls, they made it very clear that they identify as Catalonian first and I can't imagine ever just being like, "No." It's pretty arrogant, to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭shoos

It's bizarre. I mean, it would never cross my mind to try and overrule someone on the issue of their own cultural identity. With those two Catalonian girls, they made it very clear that they identify as Catalonian first and I can't imagine ever just being like, "No." It's pretty arrogant, to be honest.

I found the same. They would never even entertain the idea of the girls being Catelonian. I remember one guy getting really angry about it when I was talking to him and he was like "they live in Spain, they are Spanish, you cannot live in Spain and say you are Spanish, it's stupid". There was a very awkward moment as well when we were on a trip to an EU building and all the Spanish ran up to their flag to get a picture around it. When the Catelonian students stood back... well, you could cut the tension with a knife!

Did make for great excitement whenever there was a Barcelona/Madrid football game though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

paddy147 wrote: »

Is it in their genes to just basicly shout out their words so that half the bus or train can hear them??????

It's the nature of the languages: it's hard to speak quietly and slowly with them.
    Also, teenagers are loud, which exaggerates the above.

Next time they do that bring up their Moorish ancestor. They'll love it.

• Advertisement

I really love this part of the city/town/village. The architecture is stunning - you really notice the Moorish influence. Want anything from the bar?:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

What a bunch of naive idiots. Being Spanish, they of all people should know about the sensitivities of nationality, i'd love to see them call a Catalan or an Basque "Spanish" to the their face.

These are the kind of superficial fools who think you can draw a line on a map and suddenly change a person's ethnicity/culture/nationality. The North being one good example.

Another is that part of Northern Italy that borders Austria - South Tyrol. Formerly part of the Austro-Hungarian Empire, it was awarded to Italy after WWI, as their prize for being on the "winning side". Yet virtually all the inhabitants are Austrian, even to this day, they don't consider themselves Italian, most of them can't even speak it, they all speak German and have Austrian surnames. To infer that they are Italian just because a line on a map says so would be ludicrious.
    paddy147 wrote: »

Its just the Spanish, trust me. I've lived with enough Italian and they definitely don't speak any louder than your average Irish or Briton.

Advertisement