Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Erasmus

• 07-04-2013 9:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 97 ✭✭

Hey guys,
    I'm supposed to be going to the UK on Erasmus next September for one semester. I'm an New Media and English student, and for all the hassle of going on Erasmus, the host university doesn't seem to offer any amazing modules. Apart from that, I'd love the experience of living in the UK for a few months and meeting new people and all that, but a family member has just been diagnosed with an illness and will be starting treatment around the middle of the summer up until around Christmas. It just seems like travelling on Erasmus when this is going on isn't a good idea, especially when the modules I'm taking won't exactly make a huge difference to my degree - so now I'm pretty confused about what to do :( Maybe I should sacrifice going on Erasmus for the sake of 14 weeks so that I can be around my ill family member? Anyone have any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,470 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Going to college is only a small part of going on Erasmus really. You'd be hard pushed to find people who loved the classes they did when on Erasmus. I had to do a load of them just to make up the credits. Aside from that it, it is a priceless experience. Everyone should do it.

It's really up to you to make the call in respect of your family member. You could always go and come home if things get worse- they can't stop you from doing so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 97 ✭✭iamyourending

Okay, I'd really love to go for the overall experience. I guess it's handy that it's just the UK in terms of being able to travel home conveniently.
    Plus, I'm travelling there on my own, which is probably another slight disadvantage. I wonder how late can you leave it before getting an exemption, if push were to come to shove?

Advertisement