Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Equipment Reviews / Questions about equipment

Options
  • 24-11-2012 5:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

Does anyone know where I could pick up a Mora knife in Ireland?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭dMaN24

People know about these in Ireland? :D
    Mora is actually a town in Sweden. Not far from where my relatives live.

Might be tough to ship over though.

• Site Banned Posts: 7 DiggingDeep

If you're ever in the UK a shop called Clas Ohlson sells a few of them. You'll need to bring 3 forms of ID, a DNA sample, a police vetting report and sign an "I'm not a terrorist" declaration*. Even then you'll have to specifically ask for them because they don't have them on display and the shop assistants will give you dirty looks and the big black security lad will follow you out the door.

*May not necessarily be true.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭thehippychippy

If you're ever in the UK a shop called Clas Ohlson sells a few of them. You'll need to bring 3 forms of ID, a DNA sample, a police vetting report and sign an "I'm not a terrorist" declaration*. Even then you'll have to specifically ask for them because they don't have them on display and the shop assistants will give you dirty looks and the big black security lad will follow you out the door.

*May not necessarily be true.

Hiennie hynes on line shop. I got one last week, Mora Companion, £13 and you should have it in three days. Also got a coldsteel gurka, sweet!!

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭drvr

Thanks for the replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ShadowFox

No in Ireland but I get my ones here and never had a problem usually arrive within 10 to 14 days http://www.dnoutdoor.com/Mora_of_Sweden/cat255083_181377.aspx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 vulpus

They are a great knife-i have lots of knifes but there is always a mora in my jacket when im hunting or fishing.For the money you just cannot beat them.
    Go onto the RAY MEARS website and they are doing a deal at the moment where you get two moras for 20 pounds if you order before the end of November.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

/\/\/\/\

I nearly bought these, but with postage to Ireland of £12, I couldn't justify it, a shame really.

Ive gotten 4 Mora511 knives posted to me for less than €30 from the link i posted above

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭bonniebede

drvr wrote: »
    Does anyone know where I could pick up a Mora knife in Ireland?

I bought mine over the net, think from amazon. no problem getting it posted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Heinnie Hayes is a very good retailer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

One of the first knives i ever had was a mora when i was a kid and lived in sweeden! Great knives

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

http://www.flybowshop.com/assets/s2dmain.html?http://www.flybowshop.com/

This shop in Mayo sells a Mora knife for €13. I dunno what P&P is but he's surely worth a call. Harry I think is his name, he's a german guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭neolithic

Richard J. Gough & Company Limited,
    24 Little Mary Street,
    Dublin 7,
    Ireland.

http://www.goughtools.com/contact_us.html

My first choice would be to review the Paul Chen Multi Tasker http://heinnie.com/Multi-Tasker/p-0-0-7364/ as ive been using it alot since i got it

Pros: Shears is very sharp out of the box and very handy to use similar to the Gerber flik in design Blade is easy to use one handed and easy to sharpen Saw is ok for pruning haven't tried it on anything heavier yet The removable file is very handy for cleaning the shears blade (As i found out using it to open super glue :rolleyes:) the screw drivers are great nice and chunky tips no slipping out of the screw heads The bottle and can opener do as they are meant to The pliers ive used for undoing small nuts and bolts works fine for its size

Cons: Weight its fairly heavy (havent weighed it yet) The blade out of the box needs to be sharpened

Overall: Its less than €15 posted its a great all rounder ideal to have in your tool box or utility draw in the kitchen

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

I have a Swiss Army Cybertool 34 for a few years now. It was a gift so I'm not sure how much they cost (not cheap though).

Pro's:
    Really good build quality. The pliers in particular is solid as a rock.
    Lots of screwdrivers / kit that's useful for working with electronics.
    Has a screwdriver that's good for glasses if you wear them.
    Good scissors.
    Has a pen in it.

Con's:
    Heavy enough.
    Large enough in your pocket. (you get used to both of these things)
    Scissors spring broke after a few years and is difficult to replace. I managed to work around it a bit by bending the remaining spring mechanism.
    Knife is not locking.

I'm reviewing mybug out bag as we speak, I've bugged out for a few days, no point having this gear and not knowing if/how or when to use it!!! Going wild till Saturday or Sunday(if I last :-)

That didn't work out due to equipment failure. My knowledge and experience equipment!!! Need to practice fire lighting in the wet before I try that again.

That didn't work out due to equipment failure. My knowledge and experience equipment!!! Need to practice fire lighting in the wet before I try that again.
    Where were ya going lad? Sounds like good craic, get someone to do it with ya and you can help each other

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭eirator

Khannie wrote: »
    I have a Swiss Army Cybertool 34 for a few years now. It was a gift so I'm not sure how much they cost (not cheap though).

Pro's:
    Really good build quality. The pliers in particular is solid as a rock.
    Lots of screwdrivers / kit that's useful for working with electronics.
    Has a screwdriver that's good for glasses if you wear them.
    Good scissors.
    Has a pen in it.

Con's:
    Heavy enough.
    Large enough in your pocket. (you get used to both of these things)
    Scissors spring broke after a few years and is difficult to replace. I managed to work around it a bit by bending the remaining spring mechanism.
    Knife is not locking.

Have one and carried it almost everyday for 15 years (back trouser pocket), the awl tool paid for the knife many times over when we changed over from punts to euros because it was perfect for getting euro coins out that were stuck in the the punt slot on shopping trollies. The pliers are also handy for stuck "tokens" in trollies so I have a stack of trolley tokens in the car :rolleyes:

Blades are not great any more but still take a good edge. Not broken any of the main knife but have replaced the flat screwdriver bit twice as its taken so much abuse that I've broken two. The bit holder and its hinge are still perfect with no damage or play.

Find the tweezers very handy.

Regularly use the large pozi screwdriver on computers.

Did have to stick one red side pannel back on after I dropped it.

Spare bits including, tweezers, pen, small screwdriver, tooth pick, all the tool bits and the scissor springs are available from any shop where the Swiss Army Knife rep calls.

Heavy yes but too handy not to have around. There is a smaller cut down version that still has all the screwdriver bits but never seen it for sale over here.

aaakev wrote: »
    Where were ya going lad? Sounds like good craic, get someone to do it with ya and you can help each other
    Went up to a forest in Slane, beside the Boyne. Tis handy a I can park the van in my sisters and walk drom there, bout an hour and a half. Keeps the girlfriend happy!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭long range shooter

I'm reviewing mybug out bag as we speak, I've bugged out for a few days, no point having this gear and not knowing if/how or when to use it!!! Going wild till Saturday or Sunday(if I last :-)

Thats my plan next month as well;)headin for the mountains of Norway for a cople of weeks with my new backpack/bug out bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭nuub

Looking at most of the threads on here its great to see all the recommendations and helpful advice :D But I am just wondering is there anything out there that you wouldn't bother with or recommend? Either something you tried and it didn't work out or common misconceptions ? There are a lot of pit falls when it comes to survivalism and prepping and just wondering if we could do away with a few of them here !

Fenix flashlights they are great flashlights but you need a back pack of batteries to keep you going I had a fenix E25 great flashlight but you only got 2 hours out of a set of batteries thats the main reason i switched to led lensers not as bright but you get 40 hours out of a set of batteries with the p7

Old school first
    Maglights: Ive 2 4 cell maglights and 2 2 cell maglights clipped around the house these have been pimped out to the last with 100 led blubs glass breakers and tac fronts on them ive bent the springs so i can use aa to d size adapters to lighten them a little

Pros: Great Flashlights and lots of after market parts can be got for them They are bulletproof takes major abuse and keeps working

Cons: As soon as you get one change the blub as its crap compared to other lights out these days
    the rubber on the switch gets lost very easy

New flashlights
    Ive taken a major liking to Led Lenser Flashlights lately ive P2 P3 P7 M5 all great flashlights

Pros:Great battery life bright enough for general use

Cons: Id like to see them brighter as most max out at 220 lumens unless you go for the X21

I know there is nothing that special about Mini Maglite® LED 2-Cell AA Flashlights but I've had one in my pack for over a year now and while it only gets occasional use I can't fault it. Not very heavy so no reason to leave it behind.

If anything its a bit too bright when fully on, yeah you can have a torch thats too bright if you are only using it to look at a map or check where you are putting your feet, so I use it more often than not on the low power setting. Never used it as such but like the "candle" option of taking the lens head off and using it like a "candle", might be handy to hang in a tent that way.

No rubber buttons to loose on these just turn the lens head unit to turn on, go off then on again within a few seconds and you activate the other features (forget the order) but they are low power, morse SOS and flashing light. A friend from the US hates these LED maglites with a passion as he claims he has a stack of them all with broken switches not sure I believe him as I've not had the problem yet.

Another plus is I walk by the sea a lot and my kit gets damp, anthing not made of decent materials or well wrapped up soon develops issues but this Maglite has been wet quite a few times and still looks like new. Its stored in a top rucsac pocket which in heavy rain gets wet and then just left inside the back door with no special attention. Rucsac btw is a gelert Horizon 35 in green and thats had daily use for 18months and is proving very hardy.

We have two of these double AA cell LED Maglite now and if I see another cheap enought I'll get one. My son who can be a bit heavy handed and has probably used his more than mine has had no problems with his.

A picture speaks a thousand words so for those that don't have a bulls notion what torch I'm on about.... its this one

AALED-main_.jpg

on Maglights site http://www.maglite.com/aa_Cell_LED.asp

I'm off out now with the dogs and the torch will be in my pack, but probably won't be using it even though it will dark when I get back, the great thing about the night is its dark, why would I want to draw attention to myself flashing a torch around :confused:;) - except on the road where I want to be seen.

We've loads of other torches but it would be these little ones I'd grab in a SHTF situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭nuub

I here alot of good about the led lensers must invest in one. Flashlights can be a tricky one. I bought a "good" wind up one and would nearly have arms on you like stallone when you were finished and alrite the light was bright but you got 20 mins out of it before you would have to start your work out again!

But I bought one in IKEA for 4 euro that was meant for kiddies alrite not as sturdy and i get some strange looks when it comes out of the bag but couple of cranks and its just as bright for just as long.

2nd the led lensers, my p7 lives on top of my rifle and is a great tool, iv had it goin on 2 years now.

Another thing would be cheap multitools / swiss army knock offs and cheap knives, they will always let you down when you need them if not beforehand! Buy the leatherman!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

SF013_-_Gel_Stove__58352_std.jpg

Bought one of these gel stoves in a camping shop a while back as it looked interesting

The included pot stand is nice and strong and slides on to the body of the can for transport.

Stove lit easily and gave acceptable but not incredible heat. having had it out for a days walking It made two cups of coffee, one tea and heated a tin plate of food. this left me with approximately 1/3 of a can of fuel left over.

All in all, its a nice piece of kit but not very long lasting and you would wait a long time for hot water if it was icy cold out. still, its sturdy, easy and cheap. Id buy more gel/ another stove

@ mawk RE: Gel Stove, any chance the gel would be handy as part of a firelighting kit? Is the can resealable? A small amount of gel would probably ignite very easily as a tinder sustitute, so a can that size could be the start a lot of fires and not just be a stove.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,348 ✭✭✭Rhinocharge

mawk wrote: »
    SF013_-_Gel_Stove__58352_std.jpg
    All in all, its a nice piece of kit but not very long lasting and you would wait a long time for hot water if it was icy cold out. still, its sturdy, easy and cheap. Id buy more gel/ another stove

That's the same gel used in chafing dishes. You can pick up replacement tins for on ebay: http://www.ebay.ie/itm/BOX-12-TINS-2-HOUR-CHAFING-DISH-GEL-FUEL-/290811589991
    or if you know some one in Musgrave cash & carry for €12.30 for a case of 12 tins.
    The cooking ring just clips on top. :)

Advertisement