Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Knocking down a supporting wall

Options
  • 07-04-2013 10:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,998 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

Turns out it wasn't a stud wall after all. :o

I have a 3.2m supporting wall in a 15 year old house, want to knock as much as possible of it. Wall is 2.4m high between a kitchen and a lounge. No plugs, no pipes, etc.

What sort of price should we pay for safely and securely knocking the wall, putting in the supporting beam, and replastering and repainting etc?

Note; I've got a 'bells and whistles' quote already.... including putting matching flooring in the gap, replacing one of the rooms entire coving completely, repainting both rooms completely, covering furniture, clean-up, etc.

The guy does insurance jobs and priced it at 4 grand soup to nuts. I know this is a big big price.

So what's the 'real' price? Any know who might take on this sort of job?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭650gs

I would be thinking half that inc vat

• Registered Users Posts: 23,540 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Does that include a structural engineers cert?

<SNIP>

Mod edit: Careful with the way you post your comments

as the mod felt the need to edit my post i will make it clearer and comply with the charter.

a quote of half of what you got will not include a structual cert, which would be inadvisible.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,998 ✭✭✭3DataModem

ted1 wrote: »
    as the mod felt the need to edit my post i will make it clearer and comply with the charter.

a quote of half of what you got will not include a structual cert, which would be inadvisible.

Thanks for info.

So 4k is possibly ok if it includes the cert?

Still think it I would d that for half that as the cert only cost 300 euro

• Advertisement

650gs wrote: »
    Still think it I would d that for half that as the cert only cost 300 euro

Where are you based? Structural engineers would charge 600 in dublin as to spec out the RSJ, inspect mid and after work and sign off

• Registered Users Posts: 3,998 ✭✭✭3DataModem

Update; got superb job done by same guy who converted our attic. 2500e.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭ccsolar

3DataModem wrote: »
    Update; got superb job done by same guy who converted our attic. 2500e.
    Hi
    Excellent price
    I've priced a similar job at €2800 so you got a great deal and most importantly you are a happy customer
    Cc

ted1 wrote: »
    Where are you based? Structural engineers would charge 600 in dublin as to spec out the RSJ, inspect mid and after work and sign off
    Well its a sign of the times my engineer charged me 300 for a job the same only four weeks ago in Dublin, just the same as in any trade some people still think they can charge the same as 5 years ago

Advertisement