Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Knocking on doors

Options
  • 07-04-2013 10:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭

I've been knocking on doors all weekend trying to sort out permissions etc etc.

First of when your in a radius of 5-10 miles and your been told your not local things aren't gonna go to well.

I meet some very nice people and so very rude people. Now I wouldn't be shy and well able to strike a conversation. But what are yer opening lines might sound silly but I reckon its important.

I normally stand back of the door so the people have plenty of room and can see me clearly. I'd start with my full name and basically say something about the whether of dog or something to start a conversation. Without getting straight into it about permissions. Sometimes it can't be helped.
    But just wondering does any body have any little habbits or ideas that they think work.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭hedzball

Are you in a GC?.

I find quoting the GC if outside of your area tends to help alot.

That and my grandfather was a local vet so I get away with murder at times.

Tell em you only want to shoot the diseased ones .. that works well too

'hdz

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

Being related to a vet has meant I have gotten permissions where the pope would have failed

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭One shot on kill

The diseased idea sounds good.

Never mind not in a gun club but the vet rides me every time I go in. Does that count.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭TriggerPL

Try not to say the word shoot , I never say shoot alway hunt or hunting . And if you get permission from one land owner get his name and and ask him if he thinks others in the area will let u !

That way you can go to them and say pat down the road has give you permission and said you'd be interested in having someone control the deer on your land too

• Registered Users Posts: 5,105 ✭✭✭Mech1

dont show up in your camo gear, just casual, licences / insurance / club membership in pocket.

• Advertisement

TriggerPL wrote: »
    Try not to say the word shoot , I never say shoot alway hunt or hunting . And if you get permission from one land owner get his name and and ask him if he thinks others in the area will let u !

That way you can go to them and say pat down the road has give you permission and said you'd be interested in having someone control the deer on your land too

Ah simple thing like the sword shoot never occurred to me infairness. No matter how polite you are it's the words you use.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

Me and my da recently lost a huge permission because of lads going in messing and breaking fences, nothing to do with us just kids going in when off school so he went and knocked on one door of a fella who keeps about 40 sheep, he said no problem shoot away and asked would one of us come out and he would show us around. I went out after qork one evening for an hour and by the end of that hour we had permission on every farm joining his and quarries and sandpits joining them! Hundreds and hundreds of acres of serious hunting ground just 5 minutes from the house with lakes and hilly fields :)

Just keep knockin it will pay off

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭yubabill1

Six rabbits eat as much as one sheep.

That's my one, often don't need it, but it works well enough.

yubabill1 wrote: »

That's a good one to infairnes
    What about a deer how many sheep are missing out with one of them.

aaakev wrote: »
    Me and my da recently lost a huge permission because of lads going in messing and breaking fences, nothing to do with us just kids going in when off school so he went and knocked on one door of a fella who keeps about 40 sheep, he said no problem shoot away and asked would one of us come out and he would show us around. I went out after qork one evening for an hour and by the end of that hour we had permission on every farm joining his and quarries and sandpits joining them! Hundreds and hundreds of acres of serious hunting ground just 5 minutes from the house with lakes and hilly fields :)

Just keep knockin it will pay off

That's **** isn't it. But worked out well in the end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭hedzball

I reckon 6 sheep would easily eat a rabbit

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

I've been knocking on doors all weekend trying to sort out permissions etc etc.

First of when your in a radius of 5-10 miles and your been told your not local things aren't gonna go to well.

You should try being a foreigner and asking permission. :pac:

The best so far is I've been told to fcuk off back to England. :rolleyes:
    Meet some real twats but some good blokes, you just have to laugh it off and move to the next one.

That's like a cork friend of mine. He went to aus and getting a taxi from the airport the Indian driver asked was he there to learn English. I never laughter as hard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

yubabill1 wrote: »

I am a landowner, not many rabbits around here :) What's your next line to get permission?

Well will you sign this and ill get ride of that grass for you.

Are you insured to come onto my property? Show me your insurance cert? Do you mind if I ring your insurance company to confirm this policy?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

It quite often helps if you get permission from one of the older well known farmers in an area. Sure if John's happy enough with that lad/knows that lad he'll be alright kind of thing. There's probably no grapevine as good in the country as the farmers' one.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

I am a landowner, not many rabbits around here :) What's your next line to get permission?
    None. If you get abruptness or an unspoken no you walk. Don't push the issue. Ths way you have the option t call back in a few months.
    Are you insured to come onto my property?
    If you are the landowner, and give me sporting rights then my insurance covers me/you in the event of an accident.
    Show me your insurance cert?
    Not a question. That's a demand.
    Do you mind if I ring your insurance company to confirm this policy?
    Ring away.

One other thing you might like to know. If someone produces their insurance card, and it covers 2013/2014 then they are covered. Ringing is redundant. Unlike car insurance or home insurance we pay our insurance fee at the start of the insurance year, and are covered until renewal the following year. There are no installments to frenege on, and as a result insurance cannot lapse from a month to month basis.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Cass wrote: »
    None. If you get abruptness or an unspoken no you walk. Don't push the issue. Ths way you have the option t call back in a few months.

If you are the landowner, and give me sporting rights then my insurance covers me/you in the event of an accident.

Not a question. That's a demand.

Ring away.

One other thing you might like to know. If someone produces their insurance card, and it covers 2013/2014 then they are covered. Ringing is redundant. Unlike car insurance or home insurance we pay our insurance fee at the start of the insurance year, and are covered until renewal the following year. There are no installments to frenege on, and as a result insurance cannot lapse from a month to month basis.
    If someone turns up on your doorstep and you haven't a clue who they are asking for permission to shoot on your land I think it would be fairly wise to check out their insurance. It is also fairly easy to fake an insurance cert hence the reason to ring the insurer.

So you've rang their insurance, confirmed their details now what?
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Advertisement

Honestly all joking aside. I'd just say ok thank you have a good weekend. As its going nowhere anyway.
    Are you insured to come onto my property? Show me your insurance cert? Do you mind if I ring your insurance company to confirm this policy?

Yes I have insurance which covers me to hunt on any land which the land owner has giving me permission to be on. Also the insurance covers the land owner and the livestock, property. But of coarse ring away ( if you intend on give me permission ) would you like my referance number.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Ghost.

Ive found in most cases people are fairly decent when asking for permission as long as you put yourself across in a mannerly fashion even if you aren't local. It doesn't really matter how you word it. shooting, hunting, whatever, they all know the crack and you aren't going to pull the wool over anyones eyes about what you are asking for. They aren't stupid. Just be honest about your intentions and make sure you stress you will cause no hassle or damage on the land, be respectful.

The insurance does help a lot, it can put their mind at ease and once you get the name of one or two farmers in the area that have given you permission it can be a good ice breaker to drop their name too.

Of course some will be all odd about it, but sure its their land and if they are odd about it be polite and leave them to it. Keep on knocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭MarkWolff

I once had a shotgun pointed out through the door at me... That was before I even opened my mouth to speak !
    It was a fairly remote area and the old chap had a cow in the "sitting room",

I just apologised for disturbing him and left!...... As you would.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭TriggerPL

MarkWolff wrote: »
    I once had a shotgun pointed out through the door at me... That was before I even opened my mouth to speak !
    It was a fairly remote area and the old chap had a cow in the "sitting room",

I just apologised for disturbing him and left!...... As you would.

What you expect for knocking on nallys door !!

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Ghost.

MarkWolff wrote: »
    It was a fairly remote area and the old chap had a cow in the "sitting room"
    When I said if they are odd about it leave them to it and be polite. Id say maybe, just maybe this would qualify as someone being odd about it.

Probably wasn't funny at the time, but when i read that all i could think of was this ...........................

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭EPointer=Birdss

I wouldn't let you near my place anyway. Couldn't have the neighbours seeing a lad fraternizing with the lawn :D

All you need is an IN. Start with one decent farmer that might need some help - rabbits are not difficult to spot From the road & not a lot of farmers want em. If that works then its gonna help greatly with others.

Ask your local TD.

Tell him you will reciprocate the favour when its voting time again.

Ask him what

Ye that's right alright.

Maybe I'm missing it but what's the TD gonna do unless he has land.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭6.5 tikka

lads lads its one in the morning and im pissing myself laughing , six sheep would eat a ribbit thats gas,

Advertisement