Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LC Higher English - Ordinary, Want opinions

• 07-04-2013 11:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I'm only in 5th year but I am already doing 8 subjects (applied maths outside of school) all at higher level. My english teacher thinks I could do well but I feel studying HL english might take too much time and lower my other subjects results. Should I drop down? And would the course be different? This means a lot and I'd be grateful for any help :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 835 ✭✭✭kingcobra

I think you should keep Higher English and drop a different subject instead. Even in Ordinary English you will still have to learn the same texts/quotes/essays as Higher English, except that more lenience is given towards you in your essays. The comprehensions tend to be easier as well but sure you won't be studying a whole pile for those anyway.

Whereas if you drop a subject like Biology for example, there are parts of the course that you don't even have to touch on at all and just having the basic knowledge of some chapters is more than enough to get you by.

I don't do OL English and to be honest I don't have a very thorough knowledge of the way it is marked but as far as I can see, study-wise, dropping to Ordinary Level won't have huge affect on the amount of time you will be spending on English, and you'll be losing 40 points in the process as well.

Advertisement