Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mystery speakers - Fender/Celestion/Motorola

• 08-04-2013 12:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭

Hi guys!

I picked up a pair of secondhand passive speakers for (what I thought) was a fairly reasonable price.

I opened them up this evening, as I want to solder in speakon jacks.

They have a Fender Electronics badge on the front, inside is a Celestion K12T- 100 speaker, and the tweeters have a Motorola badge on it??
    :confused:

Can anyone tell me anything about these speakers?? (Age, value, quality etc.)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 743 ✭✭✭TroutMask

I'm guessing early-mid 90's? The Celestion K12T-100 is their OEM version of the same speaker - so they were supplying to Fender. It is a cheap, stamped-basket LF driver with a ceramic magnet. The Motorola is, I'm guessing, a Piezo driver coupled to a plastic horn flare, with a cap in series to act as a 'crossover'. Value, hmm - well, they do say 'Fender' on the front......... Quality - better than a PA speaker from Maplin. It's essentially a grot box with cheap, albeit name-brand, components. You might get pleasing results from it if the box design is good: one of those serendipitous 'sum is better than the individual parts' scenarios. I had a cheap Community speaker once that was essentially a POS but sounded very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭DanielGibbons

TroutMask wrote: »
    I'm guessing early-mid 90's? The Celestion K12T-100 is their OEM version of the same speaker - so they were supplying to Fender. It is a cheap, stamped-basket LF driver with a ceramic magnet. The Motorola is, I'm guessing, a Piezo driver coupled to a plastic horn flare, with a cap in series to act as a 'crossover'. Value, hmm - well, they do say 'Fender' on the front......... Quality - better than a PA speaker from Maplin. It's essentially a grot box with cheap, albeit name-brand, components. You might get pleasing results from it if the box design is good: one of those serendipitous 'sum is better than the individual parts' scenarios. I had a cheap Community speaker once that was essentially a POS but sounded very good.

Haha yeah fair enough! I'll post a few pictures so you can have a gawk, I only plan on using them as bass monitors anyway!

Some photos of the tweeters:

Other parts, including the actual speakers, cabs, fender logo, and resistors, which are soldered onto the + of the tweeter?

Advertisement