Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Yet another 'what bike?' thread, but different

• 08-04-2013 2:47am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭

Hi guys & gals. Up to recently I've been a committed 4 wheel driver, but with advancing years, diminishing hair & eye-sight and the death of more brain-cells, a strange hankering has come over me for a bike.

In the last 8/9 years I've only driven diesel cars and 7/8 years before that I only drove Subaru Imprezas, the last being a 2003 STi.

I have no bike licence, but as I'm over 24 (and a bit) :D I can get an unrestricted one as my first I think.

I'm struggling between a mid-range sports-type bike like a Honda CBR600F or a V-twin cruiser.

I see CBR500Fs / F6s from £1,600 to £3,900 (1997 - 2006) in the North and England and I like the shape and the colours and they fit in the budget - £3,900 + VRT is the absolute summit with all sources of money protesting violently at that.

Any suggestions for a thumper or V-twin cruiser in that price range or alternatives to the Honda? (please no screaming 18.000 rpm 200cc yokes - my ancient nerves and incontinence pants couldn't stand the strain)

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,403 ✭✭✭positron

Can't decide between sports bike and a cruiser? Well how about NC700S then? You can get 2012-ish bikes with very little mileage for around 4100 sterling + VRT (around 800 euro). Comes with ABS, good MPG and great reviews all around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Firstly I think you probably would observe is that a bike over maybe five odd years old won't be got cheaper than Ireland IME. I've been to the UK for fast cars and bikes over the years and unless you are after something special, or with exemplary history (which is extremely rare for anything out of warranty IME), then you should look closer to home. Bear in mind you won't be able to ride something outside the republic on a LP.

I would advise you to hit the local dealers, even the BMW garages and the like and sit on a LOT of bikes. If in the course of your training you get the opportunity to drive different bikes, take it. Whatever bikes you like now, you are likely to evolve your tastes over the years. Everyone loves bikes they wouldn't have p*ssed on when they started out. Try your best to find a bike that really gets your juices flowing. If you don't want to turn around and check your bike out as you walk away from it, you're on the wrong bike. If you secretly hanker for a sports bike or a supermoto, don't fight it!

To answer your question, my brother has a '98 Honda Shadow 1100. I'm amazed how it just keeps on trucking. My uncle has a Suzuki Intruder 1500 and it does the business. You'll find the Yamaha Dragstar is a popular cruiser for noobs (but I think they are overpriced for what they are). I love the Kawasaki Drifter although I'm not sure if that would be suitable for learner. Try the likes of the Bandits and CBFs these are always popular.

Advertisement