Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Season 3: Episode 2 * Have READ the books/SPOILERS

• 08-04-2013 7:47am

So instead of going to the gym this morning I said **** it I'll get the 2nd episode :D

Enjoyed that it's flowing along nicely now. A load of differences to the books but worked for the show I guess. The scene between Tyrion and Shae is interesting as I can see the show veering towards Shae becoming jealous when Tyrion's wedding is arranged and that's what leads her to betray him.

The scenes with Jamie and Brienne were excellent although I thought their sword fight at the end could have been longer, I love Jamie's one liners. On Renly ;

"If the Iron throne was made of cocks you'd never got him off it!"

From that other thread that was made about Tulisa I felt Cat's attitude towards her and what Karstark said to Rob to cement what most of us think! Good to see which way Ayra's story is going and good to see Sandor Clegane again.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

Really loved Cathelyn speech about Jon Snow. So revealing and powerful with a great backround score, then the scene pans to Jon, North of the Wall and surrounded by Wildlings.

Thought Jaime was a bit hard done-by in the fight with Brienne. Would have been nice to see him kick ass before he gets his hand lobbed off by this locke guy.

The scene with Joffery were pure cringe, absolutely love to hate him. Such a díckhead, Gleeson does a great job. I actually prefer if they end the season before his wedding, just to let the non-readers think he's won.
    Joffery lifting a glass and saying "the Seven Kingdoms are mine!", fade to black, then 399 days until season 4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

Absolutely loving this season so far. It flows so well, the character casting is spot on and some of the dialogue is razor sharp. Lady Olenna is perfect.

I also love how they're setting up red herrings all over the place. Non-book readers are going to be absolutely slammed by some of the big reveals. Getting rid of Vargo Hoat's band in favour of a band of Boltons is a great move. Also the Theon storyline looks to be getting fantastic treatment.

As far as adaptations go this is as good as it gets. It's come on leaps and bounds since season 1.

Waited a year and was fully sure this was going to be an immense season after reading A Storm of Swords.. Unfortunately, that's a fifth of the season gone and a large chunk of the book cut out without really achieving anything except setting the story up. Some great scenes so far but nothing I can really chat about afterwards.

Gonna have to rewatch both episodes before the third episode and try get into it more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

I loved the scenes with Bran and co. I think Jojen Reed looks great, tall for a crannogs man though!

Jamie and Brienne, I LOVE them! They both look amazing on screen and they have great chemistry. Impossible to portray on screen all that went through Jaimes head during it but I did think the realisation that she is stronger than him came across.

Great to catch up with Arya too, quick reappearance for The Hound, I don't mind the change.

Bit disappointed with the quick flashes of people, Ramsey Snow, Locke, Orell, barely got to see them and they're gone.

Great work by Jack Gleeson, love the way Margery Tyrell is playing him like a violin, and he does a great insecure psychotic.

Overall I loved it. Some changes I like more than others. I don't know how much I'd like it if I hadn't read the books tbh, there is a lot going on onscreen to keep up with, lot of different people and places to keep track off for a tv show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Anyone else spend the whole time saying "that was different in the books"?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

i assume that the lad from misfits is reak... rhymes with "actually roose bolton"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭Tzar Chasm

yeah I was wondering which one was reek

I expected the jamie brienne fight to be longer, but it did really hammer home how good she is with a sword

meera reed is hawt, i'd almost be tempted to search for 'fanfiction' of her and osha ;) except there's a lingering fear that it would also contain hodor:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Bookworm85

I find I'm liking season 3 far better than season 2 (so far, I know it's early days yet).

Delighted to finally see Jojen & Meera :) and I loved the scene with Catelyn too, seems she had a bit of a soft spot for Jon afterall! I squirmed like a big girl's blouse during the first scene with Theon :o I usually have no problem with a bit of gore but when he started on the fingernails....**shudder**

Jamie and Brienne stole the show for me, she's one of my favourite characters (after Barristan Selmy) and I can't wait to see more of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭titan18

madrab wrote: »
    i assume that the lad from misfits is reak... rhymes with "actually roose bolton"

Ramsay Snow I'd imagine. I didn't think the first Reek was going to be in it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

Well, brilliant episode. Lots of new characters.... and the Reeds... yawn. I can't stand Jojen. Actually, Bran's chapters are boring.

Again, no dragonglass so no Sam the Slayer. Ah poor man.

Agreed on Tyrion - Shae - Sansa. Thought it was a clever way of leading to the marriage. Plus we have a crossbow :D Get there Tyrion!

Jamie and Brienne were the best imo.

Can't wait to see Arya's storyline developing.
    OctavarIan wrote: »
    I also love how they're setting up red herrings all over the place. Non-book readers are going to be absolutely slammed by some of the big reveals.
    I saw some of the comments on the non-readers thread. Some people are in for some big surprises :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Forgot to record it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭KJY

Loved the Brotherhood and the Queen of Thornes.

As previously stated I would've preferred to have Jaime get the upper hand on Jaime before fatigue and the chains caught up with him.

I still think there's too much Shae. I know she's well liked but can only provide so much to the storyline. Would've preferred another Arya or Jaime scene personally

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭thehairyone

Both episodes have been fairly bland so far.

thought the margery/joffrey scenes were great.

the dialogue between jaime and brienne was great too but the fight was fairly tame. jaime was beaten too easily (cant remember what happens in the book but i think the fight was a lot closer than what was shown, i remember it being more of a stalemate with jaime getting tired in the end).

Still wondering how they are going to deal with shae.

was a bit disappointed with aryas sword fighting aswell, maybe she needs "needle" but she still could have put up a better effort. no water "stance" either.

Queen of thorns dialogue was great too but the actress seems a bit sprightly to me, would have preferred someone slightly more decrepid and haggered.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,406 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Just watched it there, great episode. Jaimie getting more likeable as it goes on just like the books and the sword fight was bad ass.

Delighted to see Thoros of Myr, looks like we'll see a lot more of him than in the book since they seem to have him filling the role of a few characters. Did the brotherhood know Arya was who she really is in the book? I can't remember now.

Glad to see Theon there too, they need to fill in the blanks with him as having him dissappear for 3 or 3 seasons wouldn't have worked. We'll probably be be seeing parts of ADWD earlier than expected so!

I wonder how many non-book readers picked up on when Robb said the Iron-Born were all gone before Bolton's men got to Winterfell when that wasn't the case at all.

The changes aren't really bothering me at all, but I find it really annoying that they continue to not bother showing us that Arya and more so Jon are wargs especially when they have it so in your face now with other characters. And why the hell is Ghost not with Jon?

Also, Bran has gotten a fair bit older looking in the last year, in a couple of seasons he'll be putting poor old Hodor's back out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Loved the introduction of Meera and Jojen - was wondering how exactly how they'd manage it considering they were introduced so much earlier in the books.

I'm happy enough with the Arya storyline, although I'm quite disappointed that we aren't getting any Lem. :(
    Although it does mean more Thoros, so that's a bonus.

I'm only working my way through Feast of Crows at the moment, so the scenes with Theon had me intrigued as I haven't gotten back to his story in the books yet.

I agree that there's too much Shae re: knowing about Littlefinger, but on the other hand its good that there's some major differences between book and show otherwise, there'd be no surprises for those of us who've read them.

Starting to worry that Sam won't get any of his moments to shine this season - I was shouting at the screen last week when they said he didn't send out the ravens ("he did! he did too send out the ravens!")... So they'd better have him getting his kill on next week, because if they drop that too, he really is just a craven...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

Enjoying this season so far. Jaime and Brienne's fight and Sam nearly giving up were both so much more epic in the books though. I can understand why they cut them back but in Sam's case in particular I feel it was very poorly done, didn't capture how much trouble the Brothers are in at all.

In the books, they're dragging themselves through several foot of snow in a heavy blizzard where they can barely see six inches in front of their face not knowing where the fcuk they are or how close they may be to White Walkers or Wildlings, in the show it looks a walk in the park by comparison.

Overall though, most of the variances have been relatively minor and understandable in terms of the medium (Sam not getting the ravens off being the main exception of course).

Looking forward to seeing how they fill out Theon's plotline and how fast they'll move it.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I wonder how many non-book readers picked up on when Robb said the Iron-Born were all gone before Bolton's men got to Winterfell when that wasn't the case at all.

Surely that is a big change from the books? Instead of reek joining forces with the iron born and then sacking winterfell, at the end of season 2 the iron born lieutenant knocked theon out. It was speculated that he would turn out to be the bastard of Bolton but it seems that they might have just left him there and gone home.

Has winterfell been sacked at all in the tv version? Also, the lack of rumour that bran and rickon are dead, and catelyn telling the story about Jon snow are all quite different and I wonder what to make of them. Grrm consults on the series, but I wonder why he permitted such a dramatic change?

Surely that is a big change from the books? Instead of reek joining forces with the iron born and then sacking winterfell, at the end of season 2 the iron born lieutenant knocked theon out. It was speculated that he would turn out to be the bastard of Bolton but it seems that they might have just left him there and gone home.

It was Dagmar Cleftjaw who knocked Theon out, in place of Ramsay Snow - but Snows men were outside the walls of Winterfell (remember the horn blowing driving Theon mad?) so I am assuming that Cleftjaw just did a deal with Snow to go back to the Iron Islands and leave Theon behind (remember Robb saying all the Iron born could go except Theon?). Its not really that big of a change, just how it was implemented is different.
    Has winterfell been sacked at all in the tv version? Also, the lack of rumour that bran and rickon are dead, and catelyn telling the story about Jon snow are all quite different and I wonder what to make of them. Grrm consults on the series, but I wonder why he permitted such a dramatic change?

Yes, remember Bran and Rickon and co come up from where they were hiding to a burnt out Winterfell and you also get a distance shot of it totally sacked and burning, plus in the opening credits its on fire.

I dont really think the lack of rumour about Bran and Rickon is too big a deal tbh, they have said they cant be found - which is fine for now I think.

The Jon Snow story was a bit strange alright, not sure where that is to fit in?

Im intrigued by the differences in Shae - she was far more interested in material items in the books, it was more obvious she was a whore than on tv, plus this jealousy about Sansa.....

Also, how will they handle the story of Jorah Mormonts whispering back to Kings Landing re Dany if Barristan Selmy is already outed and hasnt said it yet.

I think my biggest disappointment is Locke instead of Vargo Hoat. I like the actor and all but I was looking forward to the lisping Hoat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

Delighted to see Thoros of Myr, looks like we'll see a lot more of him than in the book since they seem to have him filling the role of a few characters. Did the brotherhood know Arya was who she really is in the book? I can't remember now.

Yeah. When they're in the tavern a Winterfell man, Harwin, comes in and Arya reveals herself to him, not realising that he's part of the same group. The brotherhood keeps her so they can ransom her for funds.

I was a little disappointed at Thoros. He was cool, but I think people who haven't read the books would be surprised to learn he's a foreign priest and not just another westerosi warrior. The fight between Jaime and Brienne was class.

2 things I'm trying to remember from the books. Was Jojen & Meera meeting up with Brann the same? I can't remember how they joined up with him.
    And Theon. The dungeon wasn't in the book, was it? There was pretty much no theon in ASOS? He might have been refered to a few times, but no one is sure where he is? I'm half way through AFFC and no Theon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭Elmidena

Jojen and Meera appear whilst Bran is still in Winterfell, hosting his family's bannermen. Theon isn't mentioned IIRC until ADWD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

I see Alfie Allen spent the break in filming bulking up a good bit.

Pity he didn't get a few acting lessons while he was at it...

Honey-ec wrote: »

I think he is doing a great job. I like him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Wasn't overly impressed with the episode though I do think Jamie and Brienne are magic when they are onscreen,Jamie in particular is exactly how I have envisioned him from the books.Im interested to see how he gets played as his arc develops.

Just a question,the scene where Sam collapsed,am I remembering correctly from the book that he should have been attacked there and then by a white walker,killed it with the dragon glass then get christened Sam the Slayer?

It's been a while since I read it so could be getting a shade muddled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

I think he is doing a great job. I like him.

I thought he was grand in season 1, got a dose of the overacting bug in season 2 (particularly after he returned to Winterfell) and I actually watched him through my fingers last night.

Necronos wrote: »

Just a question,the scene where Sam collapsed,am I remembering correctly from the book that he should have been attacked there and then by a white walker,killed it with the dragon glass then get christened Sam the Slayer?

That's later after Crasters when he is with Val AFAIK

Yeah pretty much, his friends help him, they all fall behind, they get attacked, Sam slays the Other.

I hope they redeem tv Sam soon, viewers must just think he is a waste of space!

That's later after Crasters when he is with Val AFAIK

It's before the second visit to Crasters, they arrive back there and then all hell breaks.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,406 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Wasn't overly impressed with the episode though I do think Jamie and Brienne are magic when they are onscreen,Jamie in particular is exactly how I have envisioned him from the books.Im interested to see how he gets played as his arc develops.

Thats what I thought too. I remember Small Paul(not in the show) carries Sam after that and both of them plus Grenn get seperated from the group due to the slow pace. Small Paul get's killed by the Walker and then Sam kills it with the dragon glass dagger.

When Sam collapsed I thought it was going to happen then and was dissappointed when it didnt. I hope it still happens though I wouldn't be confident of it happening if it doesn't happen next week. Having said that, maybe they'll make it happen at Craster's Keep or something, would be a strange thing to leave out especially since they showed them finding the dragon glass last season.

• Advertisement

I thought he was grand in season 1, got a dose of the overacting bug in season 2 (particularly after he returned to Winterfell) and I actually watched him through my fingers last night.

I've liked him all along, he has really captured the absolute gob****e that Theon is, for me!

I never saw the actor in anything else so dunno if he is generally any use.

It's before the second visit to Crasters, they arrive back there and then all hell breaks.

Indeed it is first thing that came to mind was the bit later with Gilly and the baby.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Bookworm85

Forgot to say,

Where was Butterbumps? I was looking forward to hearing "The Bear and The Maiden Fair" too.

I am dissapoint :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

No Lem makes Xavier sad :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Son0vagun

Why was Thomas of Myr singing The Rains of Castamere?

I loved this episode, very enjoyable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

I see Alfie Allen spent the break in filming bulking up a good bit.

Yeh he's not a very strong actor at all but then when you're playing a character as pathetic as theon is/is going to be it kind dovetails nicely.

What did bother me acting wise this episode was how flatly Rob delivered the news of the fall of winter fell to his mum, I get that he is the king and can't bawl his eyes out and rend his hair in view of his troops, but I got no real sense that he felt upset or betrayed by theons treachery in anyway. I'd put it down to him being told to play it that way but for the fact he always underplays his big scenes. All his moments so far in the series have worked despite him not because of him and would have been greatly elevated by a stronger actor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

Son0vagun wrote: »

Maybe they were passing through lannister territory and wanted any lannister soldiers to be caught off guard if they heard them approaching thinking them allies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,640 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

I loved the bit where Beric says 'Why are your other friends so shy?':pac: and later when Anguy says 'Half the kingdom's starving and look at this one[Hot Pie]' and Beric says 'Maybe he's the reason half the kingdom is starving':pac:

Bookworm85 wrote: »
    Forgot to say,

Where was Butterbumps? I was looking forward to hearing "The Bear and The Maiden Fair" too.

I am dissapoint :(

That's exactly what I said when the scene came on! Has anyone sang The Bear and the Maiden Fair yet in the tv series?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,640 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

I thought the guy serving the cakes was going to be Butterbumps for a second:pac:

I dont really think the lack of rumour about Bran and Rickon is too big a deal tbh, they have said they cant be found - which is fine for now I think.

I think it's a pretty big change and one for which I don't understand the reason.

Of course it dates back to last season but in the books Cat definitely knows that Bran and Rickon were murdered by Theon and that's what sets her off on freeing Jamie.

I don't know why they've changed it. Presumably for some sort of pay off later?

Thats what I thought too. I remember Small Paul(not in the show) carries Sam after that and both of them plus Grenn get seperated from the group due to the slow pace. Small Paul get's killed by the Walker and then Sam kills it with the dragon glass dagger.

When Sam collapsed I thought it was going to happen then and was dissappointed when it didnt. I hope it still happens though I wouldn't be confident of it happening if it doesn't happen next week. Having said that, maybe they'll make it happen at Craster's Keep or something, would be a strange thing to leave out especially since they showed them finding the dragon glass last season.

They really didn't do that scene justice. They didn't capture the desperation or fear and that's partly because of the lack of zombear and burning wights that wouldn't die but also because it looks like they've gone for a cheerful stroll in the snow, got a bit muddy and Sam is a fat lazy dope.
    Also, Bran has gotten a fair bit older looking in the last year, in a couple of seasons he'll be putting poor old Hodor's back out.

His voice is breaking!:p

I must've been the only one who thought that the sword fight looked terrible.
    Just a bit clumsy and staged.
    Part of it in the book is that Jamie wounds Brienne and she's knackered from the fight. Otherwise she would've happily killed them all or died trying. Her just giving up falls a bit flat.

Their scenes are tramenjus though.

Sophie Turner is a brilliant actress. Thought she nailed the "joffreys a ****" thing. That whole scene was brilliant. I thought the queens of thorns looked great - she looks frail sitting on the seat but she turns out to have this energy and her cheese-related demands were great.

I love the changes made to Margaery. She's a bit 1d in the books because you don't see much of her. She's a scheming little minx in the show.
    Joffrey's like a nerd with his crossbow and Margaery comes in like one of those girls from the "meet gamer girls in your area" ads. Plays him beautifully.
    If he wasn't so purely evil it might be more difficult to manipulate him.

It was funny, the look in his eyes when she asked if he'd like to see her kill something. It was a bit like "you know what. I could really see myself settling down with a gal like that". That and creepy torture-porn induced lust.

Overall thoroughly enjoyable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Son0vagun wrote: »

The producers are probably trying to impress it into the viewers consciousness for an upcoming scene!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Aoifums

I really don't like what they're doing to Sam. He had stopped being such a craven at this stage and was on his way to being coming Sam the Slayer. I don't see how they'll pull it off now without it looking stupid. I know they have a budget and can't make the snow look ridiculous but I was laughing at the Night's Watch marching. It's like when Irish people complain about 'tons of snow' and there's only a tiny bit on the ground. I'd say anyone who lives in a snowy place was rolling their eyes at the amount of snow beyond the wall.

I thought what they did with Orell's (the warg) eyes was kinda dumb. He's a warg and so is Bran. The rest of the Starks should too but I can see why they're leaving that out. But why did his eyes have to turn white? Was it to make it super-duper obvious to the poor viewers that something special was happening? They explained it, they didn't have to spell it out for us.

I loved Margery as well. I like what they're doing with her character, fleshing her out to have a bigger role than she had in the book. Or at least a more realistic one. Joff is still brilliant, in a really creepy way.

I wasn't expecting Jaime and Brienne to work out to well. I don't know if it's the characters or the actors but they're working out way better than I had thought they would. I liked their sword fight but I was expecting it to be longer. I'm not complaining, they only have limited time. I rewatched it and it was almost three minutes long. I thought it was about half that time.

I laughed quite a lot during this episode. Everything Jamie said about Renly made me laugh. Since they covered it in this episode, presumably they'll leave out his brilliant line to Loras on return to King's Landing. I know I shouldn't have laughed but Bran's voice is breaking :o It was to be expected but it's unintentionally funny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Son0vagun

I fully expect Sam to turn into a slayer in future episodes. The NW are not safe yet and they are bound to in counter more White Walkers when they return to Casters keep.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Aoifums wrote: »
    I know they have a budget and can't make the snow look ridiculous but I was laughing at the Night's Watch marching. It's like when Irish people complain about 'tons of snow' and there's only a tiny bit on the ground. I'd say anyone who lives in a snowy place was rolling their eyes at the amount of snow beyond the wall.

You do realise that the beyond the walls scenes are filmed on a glacier in Iceland during the winter don't you? You can't really get more realistic than that.

Gbear wrote: »
    I think it's a pretty big change and one for which I don't understand the reason.

Of course it dates back to last season but in the books Cat definitely knows that Bran and Rickon were murdered by Theon and that's what sets her off on freeing Jamie.

I don't know why they've changed it. Presumably for some sort of pay off later?

Am I forgetting something - what is going to be the impact of Cat not being told that Theon killed Bran and Rickon but them just presumed dead?

What set her off on freeing Jaime (in the show) was to get her daughters back - which they already did without her thinking Bran and Rickon were dead and it worked fine.

Considering herself and Robb only have a few more episodes I dont really see what big difference it makes?

I like that there are changed bits, means I dont know every detail before I watch the show.

I know they have a budget and can't make the snow look ridiculous but I was laughing at the Night's Watch marching. It's like when Irish people complain about 'tons of snow' and there's only a tiny bit on the ground. I'd say anyone who lives in a snowy place was rolling their eyes at the amount of snow beyond the wall.

I dont agree with this at all. They are in an actual snowy place. It would be totally unrealistic to expect it to be hard core stormy and massive drifts of snow all the time in all places. Some areas will be more sheltered, some will have game trails, some snow will melt in some places etc....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

I dont agree with this at all. They are in an actual snowy place. It would be totally unrealistic to expect it to be hard core stormy and massive drifts of snow all the time in all places. Some areas will be more sheltered, some will have game trails, some snow will melt in some places etc....
    In the TV show we've also seen that visibility reduces to nothing in a snow storm when the White Walkers are present. For a TV viewer this establishes that, at the moment, the Night's Watch are safe from this supernatural threat. Later, when Sam is approached by a WW, it's presence will be signaled by Sam and his companions being enveloped by mist/falling snow!
    I really don't like what they're doing to Sam. He had stopped being such a craven at this stage and was on his way to being coming Sam the Slayer.
    As I recall Sam always remains and he always considers himself a coward. His defeating the WW was a lucky strike, he even had his eyes closed. The name Sam the Slayer is a pee-take from the other crows

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

I'm half way through AFFC right now so I'm kinda pissed they showed Theon given there has been no mention of him in so long.

Who can I blame? Nobody.

Am I forgetting something - what is going to be the impact of Cat not being told that Theon killed Bran and Rickon but them just presumed dead?

What set her off on freeing Jaime (in the show) was to get her daughters back - which they already did without her thinking Bran and Rickon were dead and it worked fine.

Considering herself and Robb only have a few more episodes I dont really see what big difference it makes?

I like that there are changed bits, means I dont know every detail before I watch the show.

In the book she's knocked out of kilter by grief and wanting to save the only children she has left (given that Robb is now a king).
    That she's willing to risk the entire war on the basis of that is forgivable for the book reasons but not so for the reasons in the show. Ultimately they couldn't have done the Red Wedding unless Jamie was free - he would've been excecuted in response.
    I think it lessens her character.

My problem isn't strictly with the ambiguity as to whether Bran and Rickon are dead (although that might be a bit of a problem to sidestep later on). That's just a result of the decision to move back the news of their "death" and that's really what I have a problem with.

Gbear wrote: »
    In the book she's knocked out of kilter by grief and wanting to save the only children she has left (given that Robb is now a king).
    That she's willing to risk the entire war on the basis of that is forgivable for the book reasons but not so for the reasons in the show. Ultimately they couldn't have done the Red Wedding unless Jamie was free - he would've been excecuted in response.
    I think it lessens her character.

My problem isn't strictly with the ambiguity as to whether Bran and Rickon are dead (although that might be a bit of a problem to sidestep later on). That's just a result of the decision to move back the news of their "death" and that's really what I have a problem with.

For me I think a woman would want her daughters released regardless of whether or not her sons lived. I saw her release of Jaime more as a vehicle to (a) allow the RW and (b) to force her to forgive Robb for abandoning his promise to marry the Frey girl and given (a) and (b), I dont mind whether she was off her head with grief and wanted her daughters back or simply just wanted her daughters back.

Each to their own. Im not a purist about it, I like change. It keeps me guessing what will happen later.

• Advertisement
Advertisement