Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Black Sabbath Odyssey Arena 12 December 2013

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭bleach94

Considering the trip up from Cork, possibly by myself.. I must be mad

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭poundhound

Can anyone recommend a hotel for this gig?

Never been to Belfast before.

Thinking of the Ramada Encore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

Dunno if you're gonna stay in a hotel anyway, but it's worth mentioning that aircoach runs through the night. I'll be getting it back to Dublin straight after anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 notanerd

Can someone explain to me why the hell this concert didn't sell out in seconds??? Tickets are still on sale a week later! It's Black Sabbath! Equals of Led Zep and Deep Purple. Have'nt played here in years and may not ever again. Baffles me. We get 1 gig for a country of over 5 million and it doesn't sell out.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,933 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

notanerd wrote: »
    Can someone explain to me why the hell this concert didn't sell out in seconds??? Tickets are still on sale a week later! It's Black Sabbath! Equals of Led Zep and Deep Purple. Have'nt played here in years and may not ever again. Baffles me. We get 1 gig for a country of over 5 million and it doesn't sell out.

Because it's Black $abbath, most metal fans have had enough of the saga by now.

Black $abbath haven't been relevant for a number of years, fans are finally seeing that it's all about the money

• Advertisement

Why though? What have they done that's so bad? As far as I can see they're delivering the goods for fans by making a new album and anyone that's mad about them will now have the chance to see them perform live. The tickets while expensive, aren't as expensive as a lot of other bands of their calibre. Tony Iommi is still a top rate guitarist and has always kept the Sabbath name going despite numerous lineup changes. Only a few years back Sabbath (Heaven and Hell) were putting on incredible shows with the late and great Ronnie James Dio that were certainly not about the money. I can agree that Ozzy himself as an individual has made alot of questionable decisions over the years but most people seem to understand that its Sharon pulling the strings there. Credit were its due Ozzy probably wouldn't be alive if it wasn't for Sharon. As a band I can't really see what Sabbath have done to be labelled as "all about the money". However I welcome any info that would shed some light on this. eg. what actions have been purely for monetary means.

1. The way Bill Ward has been treated, by being dumped because he wouldn't take what was more or less a session musicians contract, when he's an original member.

2. The removal of all RJD era Sabbath references from the website.

3. The removal of pictures of Bill from website.

4. The ticket prices, £500 for a meet and greet, and it's just with Ozzy, NOT Sabbath, proving this is the Ozzy O$bourne roadshow.

Sure others will add more

1: Has their been a definitive proven reason provided or are we still speculating that they tried to screw Bill. I find this hard to believe but if its true its not nice. Can't see it though Tony and Geezer intentionally trying to screw him. There's a lot to this story we don't know. By the way Bill is by all accounts a notoriously difficult man.

2:This is an original Sabbath (Minus Ward) gig. they have redesigned the site to promote this new album and Tour. I can't see not mentioning RJD as been about money grabbing. Also there's no mention of Ian Gillen or poor Tony Martin either but that doesn't bother me in the slightest because this tour is not about them. We can still listen to all the great albums, Sabbath are not trying to stop us. Once again can't see how this is money grabbing.

3: St. Bill chose not do the Tour and it would be unfair to have a website promoting a new tour and album with Bill's picture on it. People might get the wrong idea and presume he was involved. This way no one can complain that its deceiving. Once again money grabbing??

4:An awful lot of artists are doing this these days. I don't like it but if some fool is willing to pay that kind of money then let him at it. Sabbath are not forcing anyone to buy the VIP tickets. As you pointed out this is an Ozzy VIP not the band so I would imagine its more Sharon's doing if I had to guess. The money grabbing in this case is not Sabbath but solely Ozzy but as I mentioned many bands are doing it and many fools are paying up that have more money than sense.

Only your 4th point had any justified relevance to money grabbing but its hardly a reason to call the band 'all about the money'. Are you a Dio fanboy that hates Ozzy? I love all versions of the band for what they are.

I love Ozzy's old stuff and the old Ozzy as a person, now I just find him to be an idiotic buffoon.

I've seen the original line up 3 times so not gonna bother wit this.

Another story I heard some years back from a good friend who was guitarist in a pretty big band, they played quite a few gigs with Ozzy in Europe, Ozzy has a guy singing along in the wings, the mixing desk will fade him in on notes that Ozzy can no longer reach, this was maybe 6-8yrs ago. Don't know who he is as was kept very secretive, but I do know he's a very tall blond Scandinavian.

Was also told that Ozzy was so ****ed he mostly never knew what country he was in, I met him (Ozzy) straight after the first reunion gig in Birmingham, (98/99) and he could hardly walk he was so fcuked after the gig

The guys an old hard living rock star. He's messed himself up from years of abuse so he's bound to be messed up in the head. A lot of them are. His biggest mistake was letting Sharon control him far too much from the mid 90's on. He's still a great front man and can still put on a hell of a show solo or with Sabbath. As for the story you heard from someone, that's what's known as a rumour. If he had someone backing him up they are not doing much of a job. Ozzy was never a high note singer like Dio, Gillen or Tony Martin. It's all in his delivery and stage presence which he has in spades. As a side note, theres a lot more to Sabbath than Ozzy. Iommi is Sabbath and his guitar is still as sensational as it ever was. Many people haven't had the privilege of seeing them 3 times so for them this is a great chance to see them while we still can. I doubt anyone expects them to be as good as they were in their prime but they are still a hell of a lot better than most bands out there today. Are you looking forward to the new album?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭grimm2005

Dunno if you're gonna stay in a hotel anyway, but it's worth mentioning that aircoach runs through the night. I'll be getting it back to Dublin straight after anyway.

Worth mentioning that bus eireann also run a 24hour service to Belfast from Bus Aras in Dublin city centre. Around €20 return last I checked (although has probably been raised by this stage I imagine), have done it for a handful of gigs up north, definitely more economical then staying in a hotel for a night.

I'm with notanerd on this.

To me seeing Black Sabbath is almost on a par with seeing a reformed Pink Floyd or Led Zeppelin.

They are iconic and seeing Tony Iommi live has me seriously excited.

I sympathised with Bill Ward when I read how he was treated on the current reunion, however, Geezer Butler painted a different picture and stated Ward wanted payment for a charity warm up show etc etc.

Are they still relevant? There's probably not a metal band at the moment that hasn't been influenced by them directly or indirectly. For that reason, they'll always be relevant.

I've no interest in the circus that is Sharon Osbourne, I'm simply looking forward to the new album and seeing a genuinely legendary band live for the first time.

(keeping my fingers crossed Ozzy actually holds up on the current tour and Tony Iommi stays healthy).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭horseburger

grimm2005 wrote: »
    Worth mentioning that bus eireann also run a 24hour service to Belfast from Bus Aras in Dublin city centre. Around €20 return last I checked (although has probably been raised by this stage I imagine), have done it for a handful of gigs up north, definitely more economical then staying in a hotel for a night.

hi,
    just to add, that the Belfast to Dublin service, run between Bus Eireann and Ulster Bus, is every two hours during the night.

I think it is a full 24 hours service between Belfast to Dublin and Dublin to Belfast from June to September, and at other times of the year, every hour during the day, to and from, and every two hours during the night, to and from.

http://buseireann.ie/pdf/1360752671-001.pdf

11pm, 1am, 3am and 5am

The 1am from Glengall Street will usually get into Dublin airport about 3.10am and then into Bus Aras around 3.25am

If getting the 1am bus, The entrance to where the bus leaves from within the Europa Bus Centre station, is through a gate on the Glengall Street side of the station, as the station closes at 11pm.

I got it the other week and stewards were there to open the gate when the 1am bus began taking the passengers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,970 ✭✭✭furiousox

The full show from Birmingham 2012 is here on youtube.
    It's well worth a look as they use multiple camera angles.
    Doesn't make me want to rush out and get a ticket for Belfast though. :o

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭rock whore

beavis_and_butthead_headbanging.gif

Tickets got, woo hoo \m/

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Hearnsie

Hi - bit of a long shot but if anyone has a standing ticket for Black Sabbath in Belfast that they want to offload please let me know. Looking for it for a birthday present for someone. Only seated tickets left (which is no good for a BS fan :( ). Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,221 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Ozzy can barely talk hows he supposed to sing?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭EyesClosed

MadYaker wrote: »
    Ozzy can barely talk hows he supposed to sing?

He was great at download last year
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tx_LJ31PM1E

• Registered Users Posts: 5 LoneAtom

Any gig buddies?

EyesClosed wrote: »

You think that's actually him hitting all them notes :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭rock whore

EyesClosed wrote: »

watched him closely tonight, however processed his vocals may be , it is him just as much as Tonys guitar is him, anyone who says otherwise better have some evidence. Great show, apart from the drum solo

• Registered Users Posts: 5 LoneAtom

Good show, but that was it. Would've been as happy if I spent my £55 on two bottles of whiskey and a cd.

That is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Why is there two Black Sabbath threads for the same gig. :confused::confused:

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

I thought they were fantastic.

Iommi is a God!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

How were Uncle Acid and the Deadbeats, going to see them tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,970 ✭✭✭furiousox

Is Ozzy still going "HEY...HEY...HEY...HEY" during every song? :mad:

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 6,376 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

That ice hockey arena is a well good venue me first time there. The ticketing thing where they take your ticket on entry and you can collect someone elses if you want stub memorabilia was very strange but minor issue. New songs particularly End of the Beginning werent out of place among the classics, Savage night altogether!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

Fantastic gig, sound was excellent and Ozzy was in good form thankfully......Tommy Clufetos is a savage drummer btw!!:eek: Nearly forgot to pick up my ticket on the way out (strange idea:confused:).....bus got a puncture on the way home ..so didn't get home till nearly 3am, was a fun evening though!:D

Advertisement