Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What was the Farmer spreading yesterday?

Options
  • 08-04-2013 9:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭

I'm relatively new to rural living and I came home yesterday after a walk with the dog to find my freshly washed car covered in a fine light brown powder, the washing on the line was also covered and the windows of the house were covered. The missus said that the farmer in the adjacent field was spreading something which blew in the wind across the garden like a dust bowl.

The farmer had corn in that field last year and I am wondering what he was spreading yesterday .. as in will it damage the paintwork on my car or should I worry about the kids inhaling the stuff!!
    Post edited by greysides on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Manoffeeling

Lime. Nothing to worry about. More bluish than brown.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭whippet

Lime. Nothing to worry about. More bluish than brown.

thats alright ... is this an annual thing they do or is it just every couple of years? would it have anything to do with the fact that the farmer yielded nothing from the crop last year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

whippet wrote: »
    thats alright ... is this an annual thing they do or is it just every couple of years? would it have anything to do with the fact that the farmer yielded nothing from the crop last year?
    farmer probably soil tested and was probably told to spread lime, bad yield could have been down to this or the wonderful year we had last year, normally only every few years lime is spread, hth

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭jomoloney

SNIP.

looks like a genuine query to me, no doubt the jack asses will be along with sh1te smart ass comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,868 ✭✭✭mf240

Lime is used to raise the ph of soil.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

I have a suspicion he wasn't spreading anything and the "fine brown dust" you describe is simply that fine brown dust.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

The line is drawn.
    Its a busy time of year for farmers, working late, spreading, ploughing etc.
    Naturally people are going to have questions if they aren't from a rural background.
    If you can't answer their questions without trolling for an argument, saying something stupid, or being offensive, then don't post anything. Warnings have been issued. The next step is infractions and bans!

Be nice!

Reilig
    MOD

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

It was most probably hydrated lime, it is corrosive and harmful if you inhale the dust so i would be washing the car and maybe washing the clothes again as contact with skin can cause irritation.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calcium_hydroxide#section_4

Look up the MSDS for hydrated lime if you want all the info

Tails142 wrote: »
    It was most probably hydrated lime, it is corrosive and harmful if you inhale the dust so i would be washing the car and maybe washing the clothes again as contact with skin can cause irritation.

Someone else can confirm this, but I don't think farmers spread hydrated lime on land. They spread ground limestone which isn't corrosive and harmful like hydrated lime.

Ahem Reilig. See above. BTW I'm going trolling now. Any rules about attacking the post etc gone.

• Advertisement

That is quite possibly the most stupid post I've ever seen. The farmer spent the day driving around his field in a cloud of hydrated lime dust? Are you for real? A little knowledge etc....

BTW when you were googling your little gem did you come up with a reason why the farmer might have been spreading hydrated lime on his land? Do you think he gets his jollies from it or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

Ground limestone which is spread on land is not corrosive. Hydrated lime is not spread on land.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,868 ✭✭✭mf240

I like to see someone who has a genuine query like the OP to have their query dealt with and not to be smart to them.

But if someone is complaining about noise in a field can we PLEASE take the p1ss out of them?

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭knotknowbody

reilig wrote: »
    Someone else can confirm this, but I don't think farmers spread hydrated lime on land. They spread ground limestone which isn't corrosive and harmful like hydrated lime.

Absolutely correct, hydrated lime would never be spread on land, hydrated lime is sometimes used as a disease control measure in animal housing, it can kill many bacteria that cause animals problems. Hydrated Lime is white in colour.

Crushed limestone is spread on land to raise the PH of the soil and therefore make the soil more friendly to the crop the farmer wishes to grow. Crushed limestone is brownish in colour

mf240 wrote: »
    But if someone is complaining about noise in a field can we PLEASE take the p1ss out of them?

Na, we'll just delete the thread that they start.

I only have 100 free spaces in my email account and reported posts fill them up very fast!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Sahara look like a good bet, has already been mentioned on the boards here

cheers for that, nothing to worry about then. When should I expect the seeding to start? Also, is there a time of the year that farmers don't like people walking dogs in the fields? just to save a row !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

cheers for that, nothing to worry about then. When should I expect the seeding to start? Also, is there a time of the year that farmers don't like people walking dogs in the fields? just to save a row !!

The time of year to walk a dog on somebody elses land is NEVER

Tipp Man wrote: »
    The time of year to walk a dog on somebody elses land is NEVER

why?

considering I've met the land owner / farmer in the pub plenty of times and he was warning me of some very soft parts of the field and to try and keep the dog away from them.

There are no livestock and the gun club use the lands for shooting during season.

why?

considering I've met the land owner / farmer in the pub plenty of times and he was warning me of some very soft parts of the field and to try and keep the dog away from them.

There are no livestock and the gun club use the lands for shooting during season.

Dogs can carry a disease which can cause abortion. I can't think of the name of it. It begins with n or m. The experts here will tell you

• Advertisement

why?

The gun club have (probably) got permission to shoot and members are covered by the gun clubs insurance

Why don't you ask the farmer next time you see him down the pub when is the best time to use his field to walk your dog?? Really that is not a question that any of us can answer

Dogs can carry a disease which can cause abortion. I can't think of the name of it. It begins with n or m. The experts here will tell you

It's about bloody ownership rights

Nobody has the right to walk a dog or themselves on your land without permission

Nobody has the right to walk a dog or themselves on your land without permission

Agreed. But it's nice to be nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭yellow50HX

why?

if you have permission from the land owner, are aware of any livestock, close any gates/fences afterwards and are able to control your dog then there is no issue.

as for the dust, it could well be ground lime as explained earlier or just dust. The land has been very dry in places over the last few weeks and the cold driving wind will pick up anything that has become airborne and blow it aroudn the place (like the margins of the roads). If the top layer of soil has been very dry then its get blown around during tilling operations, harrowing, seeeding, rolling and so on. its highly unlikely that anything dodgy has been spread.

Agreed. But it's nice to be nice.

That is up to each individual farmers discretion whether he lets people walk on his land on not

However people need to be aware this it is the farmers discretion and not their's

All well and good being nice till something happens and you have a legal case or insurance claim against you

and as I said before the farmer has no problem with people walking dogs on his land ... no need to get aggressive, I was asking if there was particular times of the when it wouldn't be a good time to walk the dog.

Everybody is different, some farmers are nice decent people, some are ignorant and cantankerous; while some dog owners are responsible and some are irresponsible.

yellow50HX wrote: »

as for the dust, it could well be ground lime as explained earlier or just dust. The land has been very dry in places over the last few weeks and the cold driving wind will pick up anything that has become airborne and blow it aroudn the place (like the margins of the roads). If the top layer of soil has been very dry then its get blown around during tilling operations, harrowing, seeeding, rolling and so on. its highly unlikely that anything dodgy has been spread.

he was using a spreader alright, by the sounds of it, it was lime. How long after spreading lime would you expect seeding to take place?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

I'm relatively new to rural living and I came home yesterday after a walk with the dog to find my freshly washed car covered in a fine light brown powder, the washing on the line was also covered and the windows of the house were covered. The missus said that the farmer in the adjacent field was spreading something which blew in the wind across the garden like a dust bowl.

The farmer had corn in that field last year and I am wondering what he was spreading yesterday .. as in will it damage the paintwork on my car or should I worry about the kids inhaling the stuff!!

I think you have answered the question there, it was probably just dust/soil kicked up by the seeder/ harrow and blown on to your property by the wind.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

and as I said before the farmer has no problem with people walking dogs on his land ... no need to get aggressive, I was asking if there was particular times of the when it wouldn't be a good time to walk the dog.

Everybody is different, some farmers are nice decent people, some are ignorant and cantankerous; while some dog owners are responsible and some are irresponsible.

So would you call somebody who would not allow you to walk yourself and your dog ignorant and cantankerous??

• Advertisement

So would you call somebody who would not allow you to walk yourself and your dog ignorant and cantankerous??

:rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement